SEA question/advice

voyager70

Hi, my parents and I are going on a cruise out of Seattle in a couple weeks. We will be flying into SEA and staying one night pre-cruise at the Embassy Suites Seattle Airport. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle which I understand picks up on level 3 in the parking garage. My parents have some mobility issues but are otherwise very healthy. I want to make this as easy (ie less walking) as possible for them and am wondering if we would be better off simply getting a taxi outside baggage claim or taking the shuttle. I've only flown through SEA a couple times and am not that familiar with the airport. TIA.

I personally am tired of waiting forever for free hotel shuttles. I'd use Uber or take a cab. You can also make it really easy and book a car service.

Thanks, I know what you mean about waiting for the free shuttles. We're talking a private car service from the hotel to the port, maybe I'll book them for the hotel transfer as well.

That hotel is five miles away from the airport. If you miss one of the shuttles, it might be a while before another comes by. Even with the "Seattle Airport" moniker, it's not like the hotels that are almost spitting distance from the terminal.

One thing to consider. Even taxis don't pick up at the terminal itself. For all transportation, you have to take the skybridges across to the parking garage. The skybridges go to level 4 of the garage - transporation is on level 3. There you will find the waiting area for the shuttles, the taxi line, and an area for car services and Uber-like rideshare. If they are mobility limited, you may want/need wheelchairs. There are NO moving walkways from the terminal to the garage area.

I suggest you go to the Port of Seattle website and look at maps showing where terminal and baggage facilities are, then where transport options can be found. Also, note that most of the taxis at the airport are Prius models, with limited luggage capacity. (Duh!!)

Thsnk you Flyer Talker, this is very helpful. We will have plenty of luggage, so the taxi option seems like a no go. And I don't want to wait an hour for a free shuttle. I think the private car is the way to go. One more question, are wheelchairs - scooters readily available at the airport? I travel quite a bit but this is a big deal for my parents and I just want to make this as painless as possible for them.

Hi,there is a curtesy phone on level 4 with all the hotel numbers.Just phone hotel lobby and they dispatch their shuttle,we never waited more than 20 mins,cheers,Brian.

If you are talking about the courtesy phone bank at the two waiting areas for the shuttles, those are on level 3 of the parking garage structure.

I checked out the maps on the Port of Seattle website. We are flying in on UA from ORD which, it appears, uses the A gates. From looking at the map, it looks like there is an escalator to baggage claim adjacent to the A gates. It also looks like the skybridge to the garage level 4 is not too far of a walk. I haven't been through SEA in several years and cannot remember the layout off hand. Can anyone familiar with this confirm or correct. Thanks all for the information you've given me.

I checked out the maps on the Port of Seattle website. We are flying in on UA from ORD which, it appears, uses the A gates. From looking at the map, it looks like there is an escalator to baggage claim adjacent to the A gates. It also looks like the skybridge to the garage level 4 is not too far of a walk. I haven't been through SEA in several years and cannot remember the layout off hand. Can anyone familiar with this confirm or correct. Thanks all for the information you've given me.

There are moving sidewalks from the more distant A gates to the security point; the escalator down to the bag claim level is just past the security point.

There are escalators and elevators from the bag claim level up to the garage skybridges; the bridges themselves are maybe 20-30 yards long, then it's ten yards or so to the escalators down to the taxi/van/limo level (level 3). The total walking distance will depend on which A gate you come to and which bag carousel you use. But compared to other major airports (e.g. LAX, PHL, MIA, ORD) the walks at SEA aren't bad at all.

Glad that this is working out for you. Unfortunately, when I see "mobility issues", I tend to defer to the side of caution and warning.

I like to err on the side of caution as well. I feel better now about our upcoming trip. Hopefully all will go well.

Call your hotel first and ask about their shuttle service. We stayed at the Marriott last fall and theirs ran every 30 minutes. Our wait was maybe 15 minutes.

Be prepared to pay a full fare, if you go with a private service. It'll take the driver longer to get to the airport than your short fare.

Call your hotel first and ask about their shuttle service. We stayed at the Marriott last fall and theirs ran every 30 minutes. Our wait was maybe 15 minutes.

Be prepared to pay a full fare, if you go with a private service. It'll take the driver longer to get to the airport than your short fare.

Great advice, I will call hotel for shuttle info. Thanks.