Huatulco: snorkeling or eating mole?

rayliang

we will be at Huatulco for 7 hours on Christmas day off Island Princess. I read that Huatulco has great snorkeling, but being in Oaxaca I also want to eat mole. I love to eat.

What should I do????? Is there a good mole restaurant right off the dock?

We have snorkeled many, many places in the world, but have never experienced "great", nor heard anybody say snorkeling in Mexico (Pacific side) is "great". Visibilities are usually not all that good. Maybe Hualulco is the "best" on the Pacific side. But "great" is not a word that leaps to mind for Pacific side Mexican snorkeling.

DW and I are avid snorkelers and have experienced some "great" snorkeling in places like the Great Barrier Reef, Bonaire, etc. But in Huatulco we would not even bother taking our snorkel gear. There is a nice sandy beach within walking distance of the pier and it is lined with several cafe/restaurants where you can find OK food. Walk along the beach, check out the menus, and choose where you will sit accordingly. If you want a beach chair try to negotiate a deal ("give me the chairs/umbrella for free and we will buy lunch and beer at your restaurant") and perhaps you will be lucky. But keep in mind that in Mexico (like many places) there are often 2 levels of beach chair pricing (and taxi pricing) which is one rate for locals and a much higher rate for cruisers. Our beach chair price in Huatulco went from $25 to free when we mentioned that we lived in Mexico part of the year...and understood the beach chair game (give me the chair for free or I will talk to the other guy down the beach).

Hank

oh interesting. The only Pacific snorkeling I'd ever done was off Hawaii, so it be my first time doing Mexican Pacific. Its really not that great? I've read reviews of places like Playa San Agustin being a very good place to snorkel and stuff.

So maybe I should concentrate on eating instead?

Snorkeling off Hawaii is a whole different ballgame compared to the Pacific coast of Mexico. Just because they are both in the Pacific doesn't equate them in ANY way. As Hank stated, the Great Barrier Reef is great snorkeling, and is a good bit better than most any place in Hawaii...even though they are all in the Pacific.

Wonder which restaurants will be open on Christmas Day?

Do a restaurant review search. Saw several decently rated ones in the hotels.

ETA - will you be going to Puerto Vallarta? El Molé de Jovita is excellent.