Help with places in port in walking distance

pugmadkate

I put a similar post up in the Ports of Call, Alaska but no responses thus far. I’m hoping maybe some of you have some information.

I could use some help with recommendations for our time in port. No rental car. We can handle easy to moderate walking and there are seven of us ranging in age from mid-20s to mid-70s.

We all enjoy history and local culture. Not big shoppers but we do enjoy local art and handicrafts.

In Juneau, we’ll have a few hours in the evening to explore. In Sitka, we’ll have four hours in the afternoon and, finally, Ketchikan we’ll have the afternoon and evening.

Any help is much appreciated.

I put a similar post up in the Ports of Call, Alaska but no responses thus far. I’m hoping maybe some of you have some information.

I could use some help with recommendations for our time in port. No rental car. We can handle easy to moderate walking and there are seven of us ranging in age from mid-20s to mid-70s.

We all enjoy history and local culture. Not big shoppers but we do enjoy local art and handicrafts.

In Juneau, we’ll have a few hours in the evening to explore. In Sitka, we’ll have four hours in the afternoon and, finally, Ketchikan we’ll have the afternoon and evening.

Any help is much appreciated.

Everything in those port stops is walkable, except Sitka where you have to take a shuttle into town. But once you get to town, it is walkable. I recommend turning to the right after you leave the shuttle bus in Sitka, and visiting the more charming historic areas before you go into the more commercial downtown side to the left of the shuttle stop. It will also cost you $10 to visit the inside of the old Russian Orthodox church on this commercial side of town.

Tom's Port Guides are designed with onsite photos and maps to walk you through what to see and do on your own in these Alaska ports. In Ketchikan, Tom's Port Guiide will explain how to take the local bus out to Totem Bight State Park, which we found very interesting with lush rain forest walk ways to the collection of totem poles.

Sitka - head left out of the area you are dropped off at. Go over to the Totem Pole Park - very interesting

Ketchikan - Cape Fox Lodge - take the funicular or walk up and back.

Juneau - the new Alaska State Museum is great!

Karen

Ketchikan -- you can walk to Creek Street and tour the shops there. Don't know when you will be there but the salmon start to swim up the creek about the 3rd week of July.

Sitka -- it is well worth paying the $10 fee to see the church and walk on over to the Totem Park.

Juneau -- you might want to consider taking the Blue Bus out to Mendenhal Glacier.

If you google "Ketchikan - Walking Tour", "Sitka - Walking Tour", etc, etc, you'll find maps of the towns with walking routes mapped and points of interest flagged on and described. Print them. I have them for ALL of the Alaska ports of call. BTW, in Sitka I always walk up to the raptor rescue center. It's a beautiful walk through a lovely forest and IMO the center tour is really worthwhile.

Some photos and info on what we did on foot in Sitka and Ketchikan. In Juneau we walked through the remains of the old Treadwell Gold mine. It is just over the bridge from Juneau but too far to get there on foot I think. (We did have a rental car.) Not sure if there would be any other way to get there?

Sitka Info

Ketchikan Info

Juneau Info

I think the only ship that would support it but the Alaska Capitol has a large organ with free concerts at Noon Fridays. It's open for tours though Monday through Fridays.

Roy

In Sitka - go to the Alaska Raptor Center to see the rescued/rehabilitation of various eagles and birds. There is an admission fee or you could always become a member. We were there years ago. We walked from port (I think it might have changed locations since then), through the totem pole park and then you cross a road to get to the raptor center. They did a presentation while we were there and you can walk through the center to see the birds. Very informative. We walked back through the totem park and a gentleman was working on a new totem pole in a small open area with a roof over it. Once we got back to city center, there was a small city recreation building (or some type of building) that had a sign advertising a dance presentation of Russian folk dance and song. Small admission fee there and we enjoyed watching it. We had an amazing day in Sitka...hope you do too.

Some photos and info on what we did on foot in Sitka and Ketchikan. In Juneau we walked through the remains of the old Treadwell Gold mine. It is just over the bridge from Juneau but too far to get there on foot I think. (We did have a rental car.) Not sure if there would be any other way to get there?

Sitka Info

Ketchikan Info

Juneau Info

Wow, these are great and chock full of info, thanks so much!

I think the only ship that would support it but the Alaska Capitol has a large organ with free concerts at Noon Fridays. It's open for tours though Monday through Fridays.

Roy

oops, somehow I left out the name of the ship where this would be possible. The only ship that's in Juneau at Noon Friday is the one which does the 14-day round trip from Seattle (currently Zaandam).

Roy