Oh what to wear on my first Oceania Cruise!

BTCRUISES

I know there are probably both ends of extreme dress but could you tell me what the average couples wears around the ship and dinners?

Sequins? Dress Slacks? I assume swimwear is only at the pool and otherwise covered up. Same with workout clothing only at the gym? Do men wear sportcoats most evenings?

I know there are probably both ends of extreme dress but could you tell me what the average couples wears around the ship and dinners?

Sequins? Dress Slacks? I assume swimwear is only at the pool and otherwise covered up. Same with workout clothing only at the gym? Do men wear sportcoats most evenings?

Think Chicos and no jackets unless your husband gets cold..

Jancruz1

I guess we all see what we want to see. I find it closer to about 30%. A lot of it would probably depend on the itinerary.

Oceania does get some buttoned up passengers. I've seen men wearing sport jackets before breakfast, because that's what they do.

In the specialty restaurants I have found that about 75% of the men wear sports jackets.

wishful thinking

I am with Orv

less than 50% have a jacket

some cruises are a lot less depending on the pax demographics

JMO

When we were dining in the specialties on our May 2018 cruise on Riviera I specifically looked around me to see how many men were wearing jackets. I would say it was far less than 50% -- not that I had a view of the entire room! At La Reserve it's probably the highest percentage of any of the restaurants where they DO wear jackets. Few ties, however ...

I also saw a foursome sitting next to us in Polo who were wearing jeans with holes in them ... which I found very surprising! Of course, when they were sitting we didn't notice ...

Mura

I also saw a foursome sitting next to us in Polo who were wearing jeans with holes in them ... which I found very surprising! Of course, when they were sitting we didn't notice ... Mura

Mura, Sometimes we don't really know why people are wearing jeans at dinner. This summer, two couples on our cruise didn't get their luggage and the men didn't really pack their carry-ons well. One man only wore jeans, a button down shirt, red suspenders and his fisherman's cap. Our female friend who packed her roller bag well but didn't get her luggage until 3 weeks after she returned home. She was lucky she got it back!

Beth, I AM aware of that situation and that could have been the case with this foursome but I don't think it is likely.The night I was talking about was the fourth night on a port intensive cruise, so I doubt these people had a problem getting their luggage to the ship on time. (If they did, they wouldn't have gotten it at all, which I suppose could happen!)

I wasn't horribly upset at the sight ... just surprised.

Way back when I was on a cruise with a high school acquaintance -- we didn't plan it, we weren't really friends. But we were on the same ship at the same time. In their case they'd been delayed by flight snafus and weren't able to join the cruise until two, maybe three days later. They had a similar problem with luggage not catching up quickly. Generally, the staff has always been generous to people whose luggage just didn't arrive in time.

People have been complaining of late about a decline in enforcement of the "rules" regarding dress at dinners. I haven't seen the severe violations others have complained about except for this one. These people would have been fine wearing their attire at lunch ... Or in Terrace at dinner time.

Mura

. Generally, the staff has always been generous to people whose luggage just didn't arrive in time.

People have been complaining of late about a decline in enforcement of the "rules" regarding dress at dinners. I haven't seen the severe violations others have complained about except for this one. These people would have been fine wearing their attire at lunch ... Or in Terrace at dinner time. Mura

Yes, Mura, ship happens! It's always nice when the staff helps out with luggage situations like this.

Dress codes do need to be enforced. It doesn't always happen.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input. We usually vacation at upper end AI resorts and I'd call our dress there kind of nicer cc casual. From what I've read I think a step or two above that is what I'm going for. Time to pack!

BT, have a great cruise!!:ship::tropical-drink:

The dress code is Country Club Casual. I wear a polo shirt and Dockers regardless of whether we're going to the specialty restaurants, GDR or the Terrace Cafe, breakfast, lunch or dinner, and have never felt underdressed and my DW always dresses very comfortably as well.

Are we distant relatives?

I wear the same "uniform" as you except sometimes instead of a Polo shirt I wear a silk short sleeved shirt.

On our Miami - Tahiti cruise, there were very few men wearing a blazer in the specialty restaurants when we dined there. I wore one the first night then it stayed in the closet the rest of the cruise.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
typo

We pack light because we typically add on several weeks of adventuring before and after our cruises, navigating by public transportation and toting gear for outdoor trekking...so it would be a (literal) pain hauling extra luggage just to satisfy dressing for dinner for the cruise portion of our travels. To minimize overload, I've adopted a dinner uniform that packs small but checks the boxes--black Chico's Traveler's pants, black Chico's Traveler's Jacket, black Chico's high-neck tank...with dress shoes and a bunch of pretty scarves and statement jewelry pieces that squish nicely into a compression bag and change up the look every night. We have one Oceania cruise under our belts and I was getting a bit agitated beforehand after reading the various posts about proper dress...happy to report that I was always in the mainstream with my "uniform," and sometimes even felt overdressed. I suspect style varies from cruise to cruise, but this formula worked well enough for me that I will be repeating it on our Bay of Biscay cruise next April.

Sea Day on Nautica in Bay of Biscay today so must add my two cents...itinerary makes quite a difference. On this particular cruise we’ve seen more jackets at dinner than previous 5 Oceania voyages - still not 25% though. We wonder if it may be due to the number of European pax this time, plus a bit cooler temperatures (at least until tomorrow).

At any rate, even though DH wears nice slacks and dress shirt (no jacket), we enjoy the more dressed-up atmosphere. I pack one black dress plus black slacks with 2 dressy tops for a 14-day Cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums