November Crossing

DreamingOfSunnyDays

You've got more chance of guessing the lottery numbers than you have predicting the Atlantic weather.

We did a roundtrip 3 years ago in November and the weather was fantastic both ways.

In my 8 crossings, about half have been great weather and the rest a bit lumpy, not that high seas cause any problems inside, it just means the decks are off limits at times, so really, there's no such thing as bad weather on board QM2.

Hi,

I did a westbound crossing on the QM2 in November 2014. The weather wasn't too bad, but it varied greatly each day. Some days were fairly pleasant while other days were windy and rough. On this crossing, I had a sheltered balcony on Deck 6 which was protected from the wind. Be sure to bring a warm coat if you plan to spend much time on deck.

Chuck

Last year I traveled westbound from Hamburg in November, The weather was not particularly windy but it did rain nearly every day. A couple of years back we traveled at Thanksgiving (fourth Thursday in November) and the weather was wonderful.

Hi,

I did a westbound crossing on the QM2 in November 2014. The weather wasn't too bad, but it varied greatly each day. Some days were fairly pleasant while other days were windy and rough. On this crossing, I had a sheltered balcony on Deck 6 which was protected from the wind. Be sure to bring a warm coat if you plan to spend much time on deck.

Chuck

That’s good to hear about Shelterrd balcony. That’s the one we are looking at, possibly BV grade.

I’ve done a roundtrip before but that was in August four years ago and Captain Wells said he bet we all thought we where on a cruise not a voyage!

I’m not overly fussed about a little bit of bumpiness but like to see the horizon as it happens. I’ve been in the theatre and illuminations on the odd bump and not a fan of it!

My wife is a bit more sensitive to the sea so just good info for her as she’s Keen on a November date but unsure because of the weather.

Would they usually go more south in the winter months?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

My wife is a bit more sensitive to the sea so just good info for her as she’s Keen on a November date but unsure because of the weather.

If you're worried about a bit of choppy seas, have you thought about getting a prescription for the Scopolamine patches? My sister swears by them and we plan to use them on our upcoming April TA.

We did this crossing and it wasn't so bad in terms of high seas, although not completely smooth. The outdoor temps were generally cold, so be prepared to bundle up if you like to promenade on deck, which is indeed one of the pleasures of the QM2.

Would they usually go more south in the winter months?

I have been on several TA's when the weather predictions have been such that the Captain has chosen a more southerly course. On one occasion we got pretty close to the Azores.

I do not know for sure but this is more likely on the QE and QV rather than QM2.

with reference to a 'southerly course' close to the Azores .....

note that the Azores are centered at approx 38n latitude

and that's about Richmond VA so don't expect balmy weather .....

Wash DC is 39n

for what it is worth our last west crossing was in June (not this year)

a 'standard' route was taken

it was so cold and windy outside that only a few brave souls with warm coats ventured on deck ANY day ......

If you're worried about a bit of choppy seas, have you thought about getting a prescription for the Scopolamine patches? My sister swears by them and we plan to use them on our upcoming April TA.

Westbound crossings tend to move through the weather systems fairly quickly so your weather is likely to change more often. Eastbound crossings tend to have fewer weather changes. This is because weather systems in the northern hemisphere move from west to east usually at 10-30MPH. So it makes a big difference if your ship is traveling in the same direction as the weather or against it in how often the weather changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Westbound crossings tend to move through the weather systems fairly quickly so your weather is likely to change more often. Eastbound crossings tend to have fewer weather changes. This is because weather systems in the northern hemisphere move from west to east usually at 10-30MPH. So it makes a big difference if your ship is traveling in the same direction as the weather or against it in how often the weather changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is great!

Last November/December on the QV round trip to Caribbean we had huge storms on both Atlantic crossings! One can never tell, and this was on a very southerly route. I wonder what is in store for us this year on the same trip?

How was the journeys?

Did it hamper your enjoyment at all?

This is an extract from the blog I kept on this site, of our outward journey:-

The storm last night was not for the faint of heart!

Yesterday evening Captain Hall gave a second address for the day warning of what was to come. By the end of late sitting the ocean was truly pounding the QV, with constant judders, lurching and walking becoming a comedy.

I did not sleep so very much, and probably the crescendo was around 3.00am. One could certainly feel the gradual slide across the mattress and noises abounded. To be honest, I think this is one of the worse storms I have encountered, (the most memorable was on the maiden QM2 TA to NY). It makes you realise you can never answer the often posted question on “what will the weather be like?”

This morning the swells were still around 5m, and the ship is very quiet. Men in blue overalls were very visible. Speaking to one, he told us he had been working all night, and certainly looked tired. On deck 9 in the lido, one of the windows had been smashed.

Another update at 9.30 am from the Captain, on the weather and the normal one at noon, advising we will be running at 17.2 knots to arrive in St Kitts on time. Having looked up ........

There were some very sea sick people but we were fine!

:eek: Wow!

Wonder how the QM2 would have handled it. Have you got a link to your full blog? Would love to read it :)

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2567390&highlight=QV+caribbean

Slightly out of date now! Perhaps I should start another one next month. It proves the weather did not put us off; glad for a dash to the sunshine in the cold months and away from the Christmas hype.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2567390&highlight=QV+caribbean

Slightly out of date now! Perhaps I should start another one next month. It proves the weather did not put us off; glad for a dash to the sunshine in the cold months and away from the Christmas hype.

That’s a brilliant account! Thanks for that :)

• 1 month later...