My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

For those cruisers looking for places to visit in Singapore, here is my list, most of which I have visited, and others yet to visit.

* Artscience Museum at Marina Bay Sands

* National Museum of Singapore

* Battle Box in Fort Canning Park

* Mint Museum of Toys (26 Seah Street)

* Changi Museum

* Army Museum of Singapore, Upper Jurong Road

* Singapore Discovery Centre (good for children)

* Marina Barrage

* NeWater Visitors Centre

* Royal Selangor Pewter Centre.

* Sentosa Island

* Singapore Cable Car Ride (from Harbourfront)

* Singapore Flyer

* Cruise on bum boat on Singapore River

* $1 ice cream from vendor near bridge (Clarke Quay) - threw this one in as he is my favourite ice cream vendor.

* Butterfly Park & Insect Kingdom on Sentosa Island

* Stand up paddle board hire at Silosa Beach (Sentosa)

* Stand up paddle board hire at East Coast Parkway (near Big Splash)

* Singapore Botanical Gardens (a must for orchid lovers & lovers of Heliconians & gingers)

* Jurong Bird Park, Singapore Zoo, and Night Safari

* Underwater World, Sentosa (this is a MUST for lovers of fish, corals etc)

* Chinatown Heritage Centre

* Tiger Beer Brewery (for the beer lovers)

* Palua Ubin Island (cycling)

* Asian Civilisation Museum

* Bukit Brown Chinese Cemetary

* MacRitchie Reservoir or Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (great for walking in the last rainforest areas on Singapore Island)

* Raffles Hotel & Chimes shops - have a singapore sling at Raffles or coffee/cake in their Cafe.

* Lastly, for the ladies - Orchard Road (shopping) - and finish off your busy shopping day with a nice lunch in Goodwood Park Hotel (lovely old fashioned Hotel, with lots of ambiance)....happy shopping ladies.

No replies, no interest - I shouldn't put these information postings up on Cruise Critic, unless someone asks for it.

I enjoy your observations and helpful hints for Singapore, Widebay, please keep them coming.

I know exactly the gentleman you mean who sells ice creams, along the river.

He was the most popular of people the day we saw him, and we commented on the fact that it must be good, he was so busy. It was also great to see a more 'authentic' (for want of a better word) old fashioned food vendor, in a city where all the locals want to eat at 'chain' restaurants (that's how it seems anyway)

Please keep them coming!!

On the contrary, Widebay, I love reading your postings. I just don't have any insightful information to past along to other cc. But I really enjoy your hints. And, we are going to Singapore in March, 2015 so your posting helps. We won't be able to get them all done (my husband walks with a cane) but we will try!

Evelyn

I also enjoyed this and your prior posting on things to do in Singapore. We were there in early April so your list was a nice resource.

I would add the Original Walking Tours of Singapore (google for their web site) was very good. They offer one walk a day for 3 hours. The one we did was very interesting and the guide, Helena, was terrific - walked through Little India and the Arab Quarter, went to a mosque and several stores selling Muslim clothing and prayer mats to herbs and various liquids to lessen ailments.

My apologies, when I didn't get any replies, I thought the information I gave may not be wanted, hence my reply, however, after reading these latest replies, I guess, the information may be of assistance.

I should point out that I have visited "most" of places listed, except for a couple, which my son in Singapore told me about.

I also would like to offer you my thanks for your list. Will be there for 3 days in October post-cruise and will certainly use your ideas to help form a plan.

Look forward to more suggestions. Can't wait for this trip and want to maximize the time there.

Sharon

I am glad I could help out in some way. If you need further advice on any of the items l have listed, please ask, and I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

And I would like to add Chinatown in general, including the Sri Mariaman Hindu Temple and the Buddha Tooth Temple, and Kampong Glam, which is the old Islamic area.

Oh, and Gardens By The Bay, a great outdoor attraction with a couple of amazing indoor domed gardens, and don't forget the hawker centre nearby (food court.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

And I would like to add Chinatown in general, including the Sri Mariaman Hindu Temple and the Buddha Tooth Temple, and Kampong Glam, which is the old Islamic area.

Oh, and Gardens By The Bay, a great outdoor attraction with a couple of amazing indoor domed gardens, and don't forget the hawker centre nearby (food court.)

Agree, these should be at the top of the list:)

Hello Trend

I think a good idea would be to take the Hop On/Hop Off bus rides initially and get a good feel of where you are. They have a commentary.

There are lots of things to do on Sentosa where I enjoyed the Four Winds Trading Company historical display but as there are many options on Sentosa you would be spoilt for choice and I know people have differing priorities and interests. The cable car ride is a really nice way to get there or back. We went to the top of Marina Bay Sands. I was exhausted at the time and there was nowhere to sit down unless you bought food from the restaurant and I wasn't hungry. I would say if you have good weather while on the cable car there is no need to opt for other views from heights since time is limited. Gardens by the Bay was just wonderful. On the first day we waited ages in a shopping centre for the rain to stop and realised that people were coming in completely dry. There are covered walkways and underground passages everywhere! I wore my Crocks "Sanrah" for the puddles. Oh! we also liked the Bum Boat ride at Clark Quay.

Widebay, dear Widebay, you are so generous with your suggestions I really am grateful and I know I will be visiting some of the places you listed. So sorry about the wallpaper. It was such a huge challenge! I don't know what they used to stick it on with all those years ago. One wall just lifted off but the other three were uuugggh! Anyhow I will be away from the 'puter for another while now as it will be covered with the drop cloth while we paint the ceiling. Cheers

Totally agree with daisyaday46 regarding the hop on hop off bus. This is a great way to see all the 'famous' sights of Singapore, which you can then get off and visit at the time, or later on. There are two routes red and yellow. Both are included in the price of your ticket which is about 26$ for one day or approx. $50 for a two day ticket which also includes a Singapore River boat ride. Tickets can be purchased from Sun Tec City, where tours originate, but there are many stops around the city, and they give you a map to show you where. Sun Tec is easy to get to by MRT. Just google Singapore hop on hop off Suntec and the information will pop up.

The HO/HO bus take you through all the major areas - Little India, Kampong Glam, Chinatown, Orchard Road, Raffles precinct, Marina Bay, the modern city, and lots more.

Depending on where you are staying in Singapore, chances are there will be a stop near you.

I love visiting Little India, Kampong Glam and Chinatown, especially in the evenings, and they are so easy to get to via MRT. But then again Clarke Quay and the heritage precinct are also great. When you first arrive in Singapore as you go through customs and immigration there are plenty of free maps of Singapore which are easy to use and understand. They show all the major landmarks, MRT stations and hotels on them.

Hope you have a fabulous visit to Singapore and wonderful cruise:D:

Edited by wangeling gal

What would you choose since we only have two days and can not see all?

The HoHo bus might indeed be a good idea, since you could cover a lot of ground, and rest and ogle in between. Remember that Singapore is hot, and spending the day "hoofing it" around will take the stuffing out of you.

I never got around to doing the HoHo when I was there in March, mostly because of the heat--I couldn't do an entire day of touring, it was just too tiring. But I was there for 2 weeks, so I had time.

The Botanical Gardens are lovely, but that take lots of time, and energy. I believe the HoHo bus stops at the top end near the orchid garden--we never made it there since it was just too hot.

I wouldn't recommend the Singapore History Museum with just two days, despite the fact that it's fantastic. But the Asian Civilizations Museum is really amazing if you are into ancient Asian art, is very central and can be a respite from the heat.

There is also a HoHo boat trip up the river I believe. I didn't take it, but it looked interesting.

Oh, and if you're on the lower part of the river, go into the Fullerton Hotel. The lobby is beautiful.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting suggestions Widebay:)

I would add to others suggested things to do

A walking tour with Summer Footprints

We did a private tour with Sharon through Chinatown and had a great time. In addition to the various temples we also visited a small coffee museum, walked residential areas, visited both an antique shop and medicine shop, had lunch at a hawker station and of course tried those yummy egg tarts. Last year our four hour tour for two was S$40 per hour. Pricing for groups of four+ is also available

http://www.summerfootprints.sg/

Get up early and walk part of the Southern Ridges-you can start at various spots but be sure to include the Henderson Wave Bridge. We started at Harbourfront and climbed the steps up to the Marang Trail. We exited after walking the Canopy near Reflections @ Bukit Chanda which is a nice small WWII museum. Many sections are accessible. If you like architecture there are also some interesting buildings you will see along the trail.

http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php?Itemid=73&id=62&option=com_visitorsguide&task=attractions

http://lostnfiledsg.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/architecture-southern-ridges/.

End your day with satay at Lau Pa Sat where they close off Boon Tat St at 7 pm and enjoy!

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/08/23/food-fridays-satay-at-singapores-heritage-hawker-center/

• 2 weeks later...