Confused about specialty restaurants (newbie to Oceania) ;-)

Go-Bucks!

Just booked one of the new Cuba itineraries today. My friend and I have wanted to try Oceania for awhile, so we were thrilled to find a great cruise with 4 days/3 ports in Cuba.

As I've been reading about this cruiseline and ship, I saw that we are able to make advanced reservations for the 2 specialty restaurants onboard. We booked a B1 veranda cabin, so I guess we can get 1 reservation at each restaurant during the cruise.

Here are some questions I have for those who have already sailed Oceania:

1) Are the reservations for one person or both in the cabin? I'm not sure if "1 reservation" means one person or one for everyone in the cabin.

2) Is there a cost for eating in these places? Every other ship I've sailed on charges extra for specialty restaurants. If so, how much is the cost?

3) Are these places alot better than the MDR? The MDR menus look delicious.

4) Do the other eating facilities charge a fee? Like afternoon tea or room service?

5) If we like one of the specialty restaurants, can we try to get another reservation (if there's a cancellation or they have room) or can we only visit each one once?

6) Are lattes, etc. free at Baristas or is there a charge?

Thanks for your help. I'm really happy to finally be sailing Oceania! :D

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Just booked one of the new Cuba itineraries today. My friend and I have wanted to try Oceania for awhile, so we were thrilled to find a great cruise with 4 days/3 ports in Cuba.

As I've been reading about this cruiseline and ship, I saw that we are able to make advanced reservations for the 2 specialty restaurants onboard. We booked a B1 veranda cabin, so I guess we can get 1 reservation at each restaurant during the cruise.

Here are some questions I have for those who have already sailed Oceania:

1) Are the reservations for one person or both in the cabin? I'm not sure if "1 reservation" means one person or one for everyone in the cabin.

Both of you get to have that dinner!

2) Is there a cost for eating in these places? Every other ship I've sailed on charges extra for specialty restaurants. If so, how much is the cost?

No Charge. You didn't say what ship you are on. If on Marina or Riviera, La Reserve is a wine-paired dinner that does have a charge. Likewise, booking the private 8-10 person dining room has a charge (more moderate than La Reserve). But for the standard specialties, no charge.

3) Are these places alot better than the MDR? The MDR menus look delicious.

You will get differing opinions here. My husband and I like the MDR very much. One reason is that the menus change each night and you have a number of options with each course. The specialty restaurants have set menus. But others prefer the specialties. Some even will refuse to dine in the MDR. You'll have to try it once to know what you think! Dinners may be slower. You can go in at any time without a reservation. You can dine alone or with others. Just tell the maitre d' you want to share if that is the case.

4) Do the other eating facilities charge a fee? Like afternoon tea or room service?

No!

5) If we like one of the specialty restaurants, can we try to get another reservation (if there's a cancellation or they have room) or can we only visit each one once?

You are guaranteed the one reservation. Yes, you can try for additional reservations, just be flexible. It's easier to get a "sharing" table, and one that is on the early or late side. It also depends on your fellow passengers. We have been on cruises where reservations were hard to get, and other times they were very easy. If lots of passengers are like us and enjoy the GDR, you'll have a better change at additional reservations.

6) Are lattes, etc. free at Baristas or is there a charge?

I'm not a latte fan but I don't believe there is a charge. In general, non-alcoholic drinks are all free of charge.

Thanks for your help. I'm really happy to finally be sailing Oceania! :D

Welcome aboard!

Mura

Thank you so much for the answers! Sounds great. We're really flexible; willing to share table, eat fairly early (5:30-6:30pm usually) and like variety of offerings. So it'll be nice to try the specialty places but will probably eat in MDR most of the time. The buffet sounds good too and we like being able to just drop in when it's convenient. And having my daily latte at no charge is wonderful. This cruiseline costs more per day than the others I've tried, but without having to pay for every little thing helps make it nearly as reasonable as mainstream lines. And we got a great deal - lots of OBC, free tips and free unlimited internet.

BTW, we'll be on the Insignia.

We are traveling with friends who have booked a cabin in a different category from ours. When we make our reservations for dinner at one of the specialty restaurants, can we book it for the four of us, or will they have to make their own reservation?

New Oceania traveler also. Do we wait until we get on board to make a reservation-or can you reserve in advance of your sailing date?

Do not wait till you get onboard - your choices will be more limited. Book online as early as your category allows to have the most possible options and choices for dates and table sizes.

You can try for additional reservations once onboard.

We are traveling with friends who have booked a cabin in a different category from ours. When we make our reservations for dinner at one of the specialty restaurants, can we book it for the four of us, or will they have to make their own reservation?

Sometimes you can add them to your reservation sometimes not

But if they share with you they have used 1 of their allotted reservations.

When you book put NO for sharing then when their time comes open go back & invite them or add as guest ( I forget the exact wording)

You could also ask your TA to help

New Oceania traveler also. Do we wait until we get on board to make a reservation-or can you reserve in advance of your sailing date?

I agree with the others book when your time slot opens for you cabin Cat

The date should be on your invoice & in My Account on the O website

when you can book

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing.

Penthouse Suite

Reservations may be made 75 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

Concierge Level Veranda

Reservations may be made 60 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

All Other Categories

Reservations may be made 45 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.

Regardless of who makes the "reservation" eating in the Specialty Restaurant will use a portion of each Passengers allocated reservations.

The person who books the table will need the Booking number(s) and the permission of his table mates to speak for their availability.

Regardless of who makes the "reservation" eating in the Specialty Restaurant will use a portion of each Passengers allocated reservations.

The person who books the table will need the Booking number(s) and the permission of his table mates to speak for their availability.

And - if you are in a category that is able to make reservations before your friends, the system WILL allow you to add them to your table with the above information before their category opens for them to make reservations on their own.

And - if you are in a category that is able to make reservations before your friends, the system WILL allow you to add them to your table with the above information before their category opens for them to make reservations on their own

True, but if you are of a mind to consider that a good thing, sometimes it is better to let it come as something of a surprise.

If you make too much of it, or it becomes too widely known and used, the loophole is likely to be closed.

Discretion is the better part of valor. ;)

If you make too much of it, or it becomes too widely known and used, the loophole is likely to be closed.

Discretion is the better part of valor. ;)

I appreciate your kind admonition, but it was the Customer Service folks in Miami that told me it was okay and how to go about making the reservation.

I appreciate your kind admonition, but it was the Customer Service folks in Miami that told me it was okay and how to go about making the reservation.
Wait until you start hearing, here, from those folks who paid good money for Deluxe accommodations and consider that your "added guests" are usurping their reservations.

In Cruise Critic, as in life, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. :loudcry:.

Since we're booked in a B1 veranda, we can't make reservations until 45 days before sailing. Will the restaurants be all booked up by then? Does it ever happen that the folks in the "cheaper neighborhoods" aren't able to get any reservations because they book last?

Since we're booked in a B1 veranda, we can't make reservations until 45 days before sailing. Will the restaurants be all booked up by then? Does it ever happen that the folks in the "cheaper neighborhoods" aren't able to get any reservations because they book last?

NO - as in never.

Everyone is guaranteed their share of reservations. Booking later you may have fewer choices on which day or what time or what table size but you will get your minimum (and possible more once onboard).

They hold back a certain number of reservations as some people do not book until they board and they have to accommodate them.

If you can't get your preferred times online, you might be able to change them once onboard (the earlier you try, the better).

You shouldn't have a problem. They hold back reservations because there are plenty of people who don't or can't book reservations online.

Remember, you are guaranteed a certain number of reservations based on your room category and the length of the cruise. If you don't see a slot you want when you can book online, you should be able to get a reservation when you are on board.

Also remember that depending on the cruise many people get extra reservations ... it does depend upon passenger demand. You should hope for people like us who tend not to use all the reservations we are entitled to.

Mura

You shouldn't have a problem. They hold back reservations because there are plenty of people who don't or can't book reservations online. Remember, you are guaranteed a certain number of reservations based on your room category and the length of the cruise. If you don't see a slot you want when you can book online, you should be able to get a reservation when you are on board.

Also remember that depending on the cruise many people get extra reservations ... it does depend upon passenger demand. You should hope for people like us who tend not to use all the reservations we are entitled to.

Mura

I guess everything balances out. We use all our reservations and than get more. The beauty of Oceania, something for everyone and at the end of the day we are all happy. :):):)

My wife and I just got back yesterday from a WONDERFUL 12-night cruise on the Riviera. We had not booked a single specialty restaurant in advance, but were able to book three of them (we weren't interested in Polo Grill) the day we boarded the ship (at the reservations desk on deck 5). We also inadvertently got a second dinner at Jacques when we arrived one night at the MDR at 8:15PM and were told that there would be a wait for a table for two there, but if we went down immediately to Jacques we could have a table (apparently someone who hadn't shown up for their 8:00PM reservation).

All three of the specialty restaurants we dined at were great, but so was the MDR. You really can't go wrong anywhere on this ship.

All three of the specialty restaurants we dined at were great, but so was the MDR. You really can't go wrong anywhere on this ship.

Glad to hear that the MDR is good! I often wonder about how good a ship's MDR is when lots of people want to eat at the specialty restaurants.

On two Celebrity cruises, I was able to eat in the Blu restaurant but actually liked the MDR better.

• 2 months later...

Go-Bucks! Thank you for asking this question, and thanks to all the responders. We, too, are newbies on a November 2017 cruise. There is much that seems not well explained on the O website, e.g. shore excursions, restaurants, etc., and I don't want to run to the TA for every little question. So thanks for asking!!

-Alice

There are vast differences among regulars on the value of the GDR versus the specialty restaurants.

We have liked the GDR since our first cruise on Renaissance (then the R2, now Regatta). There have been cruises when we didn't bother with the specialty restaurants at all. Admittedly, those were on the "R" ships where you only have a choice of two. On Marina (we'll be on Riviera next spring) we do like Jacques a lot.

We always liked the GDR because of the variety of choices, which generally change every 2 weeks. With the specialties, it's a set menu with very occasional changes. (And usually when they delete something there, it was one of our favorites. Just our luck.)

We travelled several years ago with a couple who absolutely refused to dine in the GDR because of one -- ONE -- unfortunate dinner. If they couldn't get a specialty restaurant, they went to Terrace for dinner. I'm not saying that Terrace is a disaster, because we often dine there as well. But we like the GDR a lot.

That's our vote! Others will disagree ... I suggest you try it to see what you think.

One complaint is often "slow service". The only times we've had really slow service when we were at a table for 8 ... The last time was for my birthday dinner, and since we were all friends we didn't mind ... (On the few occasions when we were incited to the captain's table, the service was impeccable! :cool:)

Mura

There is much that seems not well explained on the O website, e.g. shore excursions, restaurants, etc.

I agree! I've learned alot from reading many current and past threads to learn "the O way" of doing things, as well as asking questions from those who are seasoned O cruisers. Each cruiseline has it's own culture, but I'm finding O to be pretty different from others I've sailed on. I think I'll like it, but want to learn how things are done so I won't make mistakes. I suggest you do alot of research on this board to help guide the way. :D