Wifi calling with internet package

cpl100

I have had luck with Verizon. It sounded better than the ship cell service.

The trick is to put the phone in airplane mode with WiFi turned on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have Verizon so that should work for me. Thank you very much for the prompt reply!

Hmm just tried a few weeks ago it's very speed dependent ie if lots are on the network your connection might be too slow to do that we were able to get it to work someone but not perfectly every single time probably sixty percent

I have had luck with Verizon. It sounded better than the ship cell service.

The trick is to put the phone in airplane mode with WiFi turned on.

Yes, this works well. It sounds like people are in the same room.

It is important that you go through an easy set up step with Verizon in advance before your very first use. You will be asked to provide an emergency number among a few other things. Once set up try it at home. If you have an iPhone the top left corner should have "(signal meter) VZW Wi-Fi (wifi symbol)" when it is working. We have used this very successfully on ship and in ports (find a WiFi hotspot) all over the world. Works great. No additional costs. Put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on your phone's wifi. In a minute or less you should get the symbol above.

It is important that you go through an easy set up step with Verizon in advance before your very first use. You will be asked to provide an emergency number among a few other things. Once set up try it at home. If you have an iPhone the top left corner should have "(signal meter) VZW Wi-Fi (wifi symbol)" when it is working. We have used this very successfully on ship and in ports (find a WiFi hotspot) all over the world. Works great. No additional costs. Put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on your phone's wifi. In a minute or less you should get the symbol above.

i agree with the other posters, you do need to setup with verizon but you don't have to actually contact them, you just got airplane mode with wifi on, and it should work, but you should have a phone settings where it says allow wifi calling and you need to have that enabled, my phone did not come with that setting enabled when I got my iphone x

If you plan to make calls from port, Verizon has a travel plan. You pay $10/day only on the days that you make calls.

Also, check that you haven't installed any anit-theft apps on your phone. On our last cruise, I was locked out of my phone the second I boarded the ship by McAffee. Verizon couldn't help me with the 3rd party App. With elderly parents at home, I was in panic mode. I bought an internet package and was able to keep in touch with their aide via Facebook Messenger.

Just curious, why would you need WhatsApp or the Hangouts app? Can't you just dial directly? If I'm not mistaken if you use the app anyone you call would need the app correct?

Thanks

You don’t. People suggest this, or FaceTime all the time, but you don’t need them for Wi-Fi calling.

Just curious, why would you need WhatsApp or the Hangouts app? Can't you just dial directly? If I'm not mistaken if you use the app anyone you call would need the app correct?

Thanks

The people you call on Hangouts don't need the app. I've called people on their home landlines without problems. Can't speak about WhatsApp since I'm an Android user.

Thank you for suggesting a trial at home. I can't get it to work! I have followed Verizon's set up. (Or at least I feel like I did!).

When I put my (android) phone in airplane mode, how do I then turn on wifi? It seems to automatically disconnect it or something. Every time I try to make a call, I get an error message stating that I can't make calls while in airplane mode.

Thanks!

Thank you for suggesting a trial at home. I can't get it to work! I have followed Verizon's set up. (Or at least I feel like I did!).

When I put my (android) phone in airplane mode, how do I then turn on wifi? It seems to automatically disconnect it or something. Every time I try to make a call, I get an error message stating that I can't make calls while in airplane mode.

Thanks!

Go to your setiings>connections>WIFI>select a WIFI network > either enter a password or auto connect.

Thanks. I had failed to turn on wifi after I put in airplane mode. Once I did that, everything worked.

That is the common problem a lot of people encountered.

They should TURN ON the wifi calling first before they turn on the airplane mode.

Best advise is set it up before you leave home.Once on the ship when airplane mode is on,you wont be able to turn wifi calling on unless you turn airplane mode off .You may be charged once you turn airplane mode off on the ship.

Be aware!

This issue may differ by brand of phone, but I know that on my Samsung Galaxy that the airplane mode turns off both wifi and Bluetooth. However, you can go back into setting and turn either, or both, back on, and the phone is still in the airplane mode. In the end, the airplane mode just turns off the cell phone's standard call capability. United Airlines encourages the use of wifi while in flight and apparently does not have a problem with Bluetooth being turned on since it is never mentioned.

This issue may differ by brand of phone, but I know that on my Samsung Galaxy that the airplane mode turns off both wifi and Bluetooth. However, you can go back into setting and turn either, or both, back on, and the phone is still in the airplane mode. In the end, the airplane mode just turns off the cell phone's standard call capability. United Airlines encourages the use of wifi while in flight and apparently does not have a problem with Bluetooth being turned on since it is never mentioned.

United (and probably now all airlines) allows Bluetooth at all times, and allows (encourages since they sell access!) wifi...

• 1 month later...