New Community Forums?

julie3fan

This is about the third re-launch of the Cruise Critic Message boards. They did it in 2001 when everyone lost all of their post counts and old posts. It wasn’t pretty. That’s why the earliest members joined in 2001. They may have joined years earlier (I did) but everything prior was wiped out.

Sounds like they are using a new forums structure/software. (Again, about the third time this has been done.)

All of the existing forums will be copied to the new software. The Cruise Critic ID/URL (or whatever it’s called) will be switched from the old to the new software. That’ll require you to re-log in which will take you to the new software/forums.

Chances are that they will look and act differently although the content will remain the same.

You’ll be able to embed and share videos and other features.

Chances are that the Cruise Critic app is not compatible with the new software and features without being substantially re-written. I use Tapatalk on my iPhone so I don’t know how that’ll be affected.

The post says that the forums will be accessible on mobile. Guess we’ll know more about that on the 9th.

Hmm... there is one point I predict will be open to abuse.

“And – TaDa! – “Like” a post functionality. Yes, we can hear you now: “It’s about time!”

I fully expect that to be abused to the hilt by certain cliques....

Hope they are going to limit this to one per member or one per member inside a thread else I can see this being a really meaningless thing with the same individuals “liking” each other’s pointless postings. I can think of one thread in particular this WILL happen. A “likefest” is not a good thing.

A like is a nice gesture when you’ve helped someone and posted something useful. It can be a huge negative when it’s abused by cliques eager to claim how popular they are, particularly when probably the reverse is true and the predictable likes appear from the same members towards the same members.

Let’s hope the site moderators have that in hand, or it’ll be a huge own goal IMHO and used as a divisive tool to divide forums or bait.

Hopefully if uploading photos, they don’t become “property of cruise critic” as I expect that may impact what people might want to share. I own my photos and videos, so will be interesting to see if this “hosting” will amend this. Hopefully it’s just a way to encourage by making posting piccies easier and my cynicism is unfounded and the ability to post a URL to embed is still permissible.

Let’s hope there are many positives in the changes and the potential negatives are locked down to avoid.

Edited by les37b

Pam, thanks for pointing out the post says the forums will be accessible on mobile. That little statement slipped by me.

I wish I knew when that announcement was posted. When I looked at it, it said 12/31/69. Well, I know that's wrong!

《Our existing forums will become read-only on Tuesday, October 9th at 7:30am ET. We're hoping to re-open for new posts shortly thereafter, with minimal downtime to our members of only a few days.》

You know you are addicted to forums when reading 'downtime of a few DAYS' results in this:eek:

Kidding aside, a few days can feel like forever for roll calls making last minute plans or updates.

Well, there are certainly things that could be improved, like showing when there are new posts in a forum/board that reflect reality. But would hate to lose the things that work...

Not sure I understand your comments

You can check the Email notifications box when new posts are there you get the email

Or when you log in click on USER CONTROL PANEL

Not sure I understand your comments

According to the key, Blank File shape means no new posts, Blue File shape -- new posts. My experience is the filled or not file icon is random! Having to open all the boards I follow is not a burden, really; it was just an observation!

According to the key, Blank File shape means no new posts, Blue File shape -- new posts. My experience is the filled or not file icon is random! Having to open all the boards I follow is not a burden, really; it was just an observation!

Ok thanks

It has not been my experience so just thought CC worked the same for everyone

When I click on USER CP it brings up all my forums that I am subscribed to & if the envelope is filled in I check to see the new posts in the threads with the same filled in file

if the file is blank I do not look in that forum

maybe different for mobile users ..I use a netbook for viewing CC

Easier posting of photos is a good thing, mostly. My concern is that too often people 'quote' a post with lots of photos when replying, sometimes resulting in page after page of posts with the same photos taking up huge amounts of screen. If I had my way, 'quoting' would default to NOT including photos - but nobody asked my opinion before the re-write!

Easier posting of photos is a good thing, mostly. My concern is that too often people 'quote' a post with lots of photos when replying, sometimes resulting in page after page of posts with the same photos taking up huge amounts of screen. If I had my way, 'quoting' would default to NOT including photos - but nobody asked my opinion before the re-write!

I agree also CC should limit the size of photos people can post

some are so big

Ok thanks

It has not been my experience so just thought CC worked the same for everyone

When I click on USER CP it brings up all my forums that I am subscribed to & if the envelope is filled in I check to see the new posts in the threads with the same filled in file

if the file is blank I do not look in that forum

maybe different for mobile users ..I use a netbook for viewing CC

The current version of CruiseCritic forgets which threads have unread posts if you don't read them all in one session. Other forums I've read keep track of your last-read position in each thread over an extended period. So, for example, I can visit one of those other forums and read half of the unread threads today, and when I go back tomorrow those threads I didn't read today will still show in the unread posts and clicking on the thread will make me to the first post that I haven't read.

This is about the third re-launch of the Cruise Critic Message boards. They did it in 2001 when everyone lost all of their post counts and old posts. It wasn’t pretty. That’s why the earliest members joined in 2001. They may have joined years earlier (I did) but everything prior was wiped out.

Gosh, Pam, I remember when that happened and ALL was lost ... for me too. :rolleyes:

Hope it goes better this time.

LuLu

I would like to see threads with "can I catch my...crack of stupid flights and can I bring my (insert any home appliance or pet) when the new thread is started and the first words are Can I...auto delete.....basically, any topics of which there are hundreds of the same questions...be pared down to the, say, last three.

Gosh, Pam, I remember when that happened and ALL was lost ... for me too. :rolleyes:

Hope it goes better this time.

LuLu

Me, too. I lost at least 2-3,000 posts.

As I remember, the last time the boards were updated/changed, a few years ago, there were issues and they had to go to the backup of the boards before they were able to make the new boards live. Glitches happen. Hopefully, this’ll be a smooth transition.

🤞

As a former Technical Manager in charge of testing multi-million dollar telephone equipment monitoring systems, I will automatically assume that this new version will NOT have been tested sufficiently.

No matter how many testers I assigned, and how many countless hours we tested, things would still slip through.

No app?? It’s 2018. If Cruise Critic hopes to attract new and younger users they’ve already turned themself into a dinosaur. The like button is a million times better than someone copying a post and then typing +1. I’m a baby boomer who uses a mobile device. I don’t sit at a desk with a computer. Thank goodness there are other options now. Yes I’ve been a member since AOL.

I started a thread on the Princess Board but abandoned it when I found this one. Anyway, my comment over there was that their announcement caused me to have more questions than it provided answers.

I, too, was surprised that the app would "no longer be available." What the heck? Of course it will be available on my tablet if I bring up a browser. That is ancient technology.

The comment from CC's Leaders about being unavailable for "days" has me concerned.

How will we know when the new Forums are ready for us to log in for the first time?

just check back daily