Sky News No More - Replaced By BBC HD

megacruiser

Currently aboard Azura. We had Sky News for the first two days, then it was lost. I assumed it was the usual Satellite Signal issue and it would return.

It was curious that we continued to receive Sky Sports News throughout. And at the time Sky News disappeared, it was replaced on the same channel by "BBC HD".

BBC HD appears to be a new service geared towards cruise ships, as their strap line mentions terms like "on board" and "in your cabin".

The content includes BBC Drama like Eastenders and low budget day time drama; David Attenborough Wildlife programmes; Comedy from both ITV and Channel 4 with the likes of Keith Lemon and Alan Carr's chat show. All well and good I suppose for those who want such content - if only they published schedules. However what seems to be absent on this new channel is any British news.

BBC World is still available but it has hardly any domestic news content. Nothing whatsoever, for example, on the current general election campaign.

It has been confirmed by the Communications Officer on board that this change is fleetwide; and with immediate effect. As a bit of a news junkie, the availability of Sky News was something I really appreciated with P&O; and gave them a competitive advantage over some of the US cruise lines.

Anyone else sorry to lose British TV News on their future P&O cruises?

I'm very sorry to hear this too - the BBC World content as you say does not provide 'home' news so in fact we watched the Sky News channel almost exclusively. Really, really disappointing. Hopefully if sufficient passengers express their dismay, there might be a re-think. Let's hope so.

I'm very sorry to hear this too - the BBC World content as you say does not provide 'home' news so in fact we watched the Sky News channel almost exclusively. Really, really disappointing. Hopefully if sufficient passengers express their dismay, there might be a re-think. Let's hope so.

I agree completely. Sky news is an excellent way of keeping up with home news and is pretty much the only channel I watched on my cruise last month. Unfortunately, sky sports news was not available although the sports 24 channel was. Perhaps Sky have increased the cost which I presume is quite high.

Really disappointed. We always use Sky for the news when on board. BBC World is hopeless for UK news. I would think those passengers who want to follow the election news, and yes there will be some, won't have any way of getting up to date results. I know some passengers are only too happy to be away from the news but there are others who will not be happy.

Typed in BBC HD Cruise Ships and this is what I got, this dated 10.1.17:

BBC Worldwide has announced today the launch of a global entertainment channel, BBC HD, the company’s first channel produced exclusively for cruise ships and the wider maritime market.

It will go live through Global Eagle Entertainment’s (GEE) MTN TV network, with P&O Cruises and Cunard being the first to offer this to their guests.

Content on the new channel will cover all genres ranging from drama, comedy and factual entertainment to natural history and documentaries. Fans of much loved soaps such as Eastenders, Holby City and Casualty will be delighted to know that these will air on BBC HD close to the UK broadcast so they can stay up to date with their favourite shows as they enjoy their cruise holiday.

BBC HD complements BBC World News, which launched on MTN TV in 2010 and is available on cruise ships throughout the world.

Zina Neophytou, Vice President, Out of Home, BBC Worldwide said: “There has always been a strong demand for BBC content within the travel and hospitality sectors including cruise ships so launching a bespoke global entertainment channel on MTN TV alongside BBC World News is an obvious step. BBC HD will be the one-stop shop for the best of British TV content.”

“The BBC was our initial launch partner when MTN TV was rolled out in 2010, and once again they are leading the way in pioneering more TV programming choices for cruising passengers around the world,” said Walé Adepoju, Executive Vice President, Media & Content at GEE. “The addition of the BBC HD channel is part of our expansion plan for MTN TV to provide more entertainment options relevant to today’s cruising market.”

P&O Cruises Senior Vice President Paul Ludlow, said: "We are delighted that our guests will be able to travel the world but still keep up with their favourite television shows for that touch of home. BBC HD will be a superb addition to our in cabin entertainment and I am sure will be welcomed by our guests on both P&O Cruises and Cunard."

As the launch customer BBC HD will be available on all P&O UK and Cunard ships with the channel also becoming available to the wider cruise industry in due course.

End

This is crazy, I am more than happy to see this new entertainment channel...but to remove the Sky news channel at its expense is really mean and a poor effort by P&O.....what is up with them!! I hope something is lined up to give us our "news fix" because I can see this leaving a lot of people miffed.

I dont suppose the Ships crew will be very happy either.

Just going to have a look for my "steam radio":)

Edited by barriead

Not often am I in complete agreement with everyone on here, Sky news has always been the best way of keeping up to date with news from home, and we rarely view BBC world when cruising.

Just hope they have a rethink and don't consider dropping Sky Sports news.

Just off Ventura we had Sky News fortunately.

No one on board could show us a shedule for the new BBC HD channel which meant it was pot luck if you turned it on as to what you saw. Unfortunately my hubby turned over and it was in the middle of The Holby City which we had missed but were recording so had to switch over quick but not in time before seeing what was going to happen.

I agree other everone else. My husband will not be a happy bunny if he can't watch the news, particularly if we are away on a longer cruise.

Perhaps if enough people complain they will reinstate this.

We don't go on holiday to watch TV but it useful to keep up to date.

Just off Ventura we had Sky News fortunately.

No one on board could show us a shedule for the new BBC HD channel which meant it was pot luck if you turned it on as to what you saw. Unfortunately my hubby turned over and it was in the middle of The Holby City which we had missed but were recording so had to switch over quick but not in time before seeing what was going to happen.

So Ventura had both at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sky News, is, I think, free-to-air. It's available on Freeview, why would it cost anything on board?

I would imagine both Sky and BBC HD would have to be paid for as they are outside the UK. So replacing one with another should be cost neutral. If indeed this is happening.

Sky News, is, I think, free-to-air. It's available on Freeview, why would it cost anything on board?

Its obviously from a different source or satellite to Sky Sports News because the latter has normal UK adverts and the former has recorded highlights and weather info during the advert breaks.

The question about Sky news going off air has been asked on P&O FB page with no reply as of yet....I have aslo fired off a question to P&O with no reply yet.....fingers crossed it is just a teething problem with the new channel and a fuss about nothing....surely P&O would not remove one of their little gems and upset a lot of passengers:confused:

Currently on the Britannia and we have sky news and BBC HD. Must say that the TV selection is pretty poor.

Pretty poor is an understatement, given the technological age we live in it is really dire...a bit like a lot of the Tvs people are still expected to put up with on board....now I had better not get started on one of my bug bears and go off topic.:)

Currently on the Britannia and we have sky news and BBC HD. Must say that the TV selection is pretty poor.

So that's two ships with both. Interesting.

Looks like we may have had a lot of hot air from certain people moaning and moaning about something that has not happened.

What a shock??? !!!!!

Not.

BTW the FAQ's on the website says both will be available.

If true I agree it's disappointing. The only thing I watch on the TV on my cruise is the news when getting ready in the morning.

I caught a bit on my TV at home the other day and the "theme tune" took me right back to my last cruise :)