Spirit penthouse vs balcony

halegliss

I'm trying to figure out for a 10 day cruise if it is worth the added expense to have a penthouse vs a balcony room. It will just be me and my spouse. We don't really get to travel much since we are caregivers for our special needs son- so having a room to ourselves already feels like a success! But I love the idea of the whirlpool tub in the room...can anyone tell me why they did or didn't like the penthouse with large balcony?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Spirit penthouses are wonderful! You will have a separate bedroom with a door, really nice bathroom, and the best bedding. Besides you will get the suite perks including breakfast and lunch at Cagney's. If Teo is your butler you will be spoiled rotten. If it's in the budget go ahead and splurge. We were in an owner's suite for the transatlantic in April for 14 nights.

Lori

If the upgrade cost is workable for you, the penthouse is definitely worth it! Especially for ten days. Not only is the room bigger with a nicer bathroom, you will get so many suite perks (including daily snacks, free movies, fancy coffee maker, etc., not to mention having a butler, concierge service, priority embarkation and disembarkation and tendering if applicable on your cruise). Also the breakfast and lunch in a specialty restaurant if you choose, and priority seating at shows. We had a penthouse on the Spirit in the Mediterranean and it was heavenly. It really makes your cruise experience!

• 2 months later...

Was just reading thru the posts for the Spirit & thought I would toss in my two cents on suite vs cabin thoughts... no matter which ship or which destination -- once you book a suite you will be always looking at a suite. The perks begin when you enter the ship (or before if you book a hotel with NCL) -- normally, the first to jump onto the bus (or boat, when in Venice) and always special embarkation (what a joy).

Then all the other perks .... butler, concierge and complimentary breakfast & lunch at a specialty restaurant - someone to book dinner reservations, movies, special show seating - on & on! It sounds like you are a caregiver at home so why not have the pleasure of letting someone care for you? It's a joy!

Happy Sailing .... our next is getting ready to be booked for 2017! Ten wonderful days on the Spirit, departing from Barcelona for my birthday - very exciting! :D

I can't comment on the penthouses or suites but I can say that the Spirit is a fantastic ship.

Just came back from 12 days round the Med and was very, very impressed. Lovely staff and a really laid back vibe on the ship.

You'll have a great time! (Keep an eye out for Leicester at Henry's - fantastic barman!)

Me and my other half just went for the standard inside stateroom.

The penthouses do look really nice at the back of the ship though, might have to book one next time...

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a 12-night Barcelona to Venice sailing on the Spirit. This was my 10th cruise and first in a Penthouse suite (thanks to a last minute upsell).

Well as others have mentioned it is really going to be hard to not be in a suite for any future cruises. The suites are wonderful, lots of extra space that just makes your time in your room extremely enjoyable. The tub was fantastic as was the large bed with extremely comfortable luxury mattress, pillows and duvet. In the past I often said 'I don't know why anyone would spend all the extra money for a suite. You aren't in your room a lot (especially on this port intensive cruise), really only need a place to shower and sleep.' Well I now understand why people book suites......total comfort. With all the extra perks you really do feel spoiled. I don't know if I will ever be lucky enough to enjoy a suite again in the future due to the cost.....but if someone has the opportunity I would say go for it!

I was in a forward suite - 10518, butler was Clinton and concierge was Florentina.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide, the Spirit is a great ship.

We sailed in the corner forward suite on the Spirit, balcony on front that you enter through heavy door and balcony on side off bedroom with sliding door, best cabin ever, half bath as you enter living area and full bath with jetted tub off bedroom, dining table in front of large window overlooking front balcony.

Teo was our butler, he is amazing!

I never thought I would spend that much money for a cabin but I would do it again in a heartbeat for that particular cabin, we are sailing on the Epic in Dec. and booked an aft balcony, suites just didn't look appealing after the one we had on the Spirit, wish she had stayed in Port Canaveral.

Thank you- why the ones in the front?

NCL cruises

2012 Pearl

2014 Dawn Forums

The ones on the front have separate living and bedroom. They're huge! The ones on the end are even better as they have a side balcony if it gets too windy up front. The perks are great too. If you're in a tender port, you get a mini behind the scenes tour as the concierge walks you to the front of the line. Breakfast and lunch in a special dining room. Same day dinner reservations through the concierge anywhere at pretty much any time you choose. Espresso machine in the cabin. I could go on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been in the front suite on the Star going through the Panama Canal, the best cabin for going through the canal on the ship.

You can not open the door to the balcony and leave it open. If you open the balcony & cabin hallway door at the same time, you will get a real wind tunnel effect, at least this is how it is on the Star. On the afts, you can keep the sliding door open while underway.

We have been in the aft suite before and did not notice any vibration, we have the Owners Suite/aft booked for our cruise starting next Monday. I called the Upsell line earlier this week and this was the only upgrade available, so we grabbed it at a great price.

The Spirit suites are great, as is the ship. If you can swing it, give it a try.

We just returned from a 12-night Barcelona to Venice sailing on the Spirit. This was my 10th cruise and first in a Penthouse suite (thanks to a last minute upsell).

Well as others have mentioned it is really going to be hard to not be in a suite for any future cruises. The suites are wonderful, lots of extra space that just makes your time in your room extremely enjoyable. The tub was fantastic as was the large bed with extremely comfortable luxury mattress, pillows and duvet. In the past I often said 'I don't know why anyone would spend all the extra money for a suite. You aren't in your room a lot (especially on this port intensive cruise), really only need a place to shower and sleep.' Well I now understand why people book suites......total comfort. With all the extra perks you really do feel spoiled. I don't know if I will ever be lucky enough to enjoy a suite again in the future due to the cost.....but if someone has the opportunity I would say go for it!

I was in a forward suite - 10518, butler was Clinton and concierge was Florentina.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide, the Spirit is a great ship.

Sounds absolutely wonderful !

NCL cruises

2012 Pearl

2014 Dawn Forums

• 9 months later...
We sailed in the corner forward suite on the Spirit, balcony on front that you enter through heavy door and balcony on side off bedroom with sliding door, best cabin ever, half bath as you enter living area and full bath with jetted tub off bedroom, dining table in front of large window overlooking front balcony.

Teo was our butler, he is amazing!

I never thought I would spend that much money for a cabin but I would do it again in a heartbeat for that particular cabin, we are sailing on the Epic in Dec. and booked an aft balcony, suites just didn't look appealing after the one we had on the Spirit, wish she had stayed in Port Canaveral.

would you mind saying what suite number and did it have a door between the bedroom and bathroom or was it just a curtain?