New adventures, Escape to Bermuda.....but

kcdancerkc

since we are only the second sailing from NYC in April, no time to see reviews for this Trying to glean Bermuda boards, NYC, Escape reviews etc. hopefully I will do a review to pay it forward from all I have learned from these boards over the years! :cool:

Here's the link to the Bermuda forum of the Ports of Call Board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196 Ask your questions about Bermuda there. Do you have any particular questions about Bermuda?

Here's the link to the East Coast Departure forum of the North American Homeports board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415 Ask your questions about NYC there.

SBtS

The Escape is very similar to the Breakaway (and Getaway) and it has been doing the Bermuda for some time now. I would recommend reading some of the reviews from the Breakaway cruises to Bermuda. DW and I loved Escape! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done the Breakaway to Bermuda, and will be doing the first Escape from NY to Bermuda trip as our Spring Break trip in April. I definitely have been checking the Breakaway to Bermuda threads and the Escape threads in general - it's just going to be part of the adventure, otherwise!

• 2 months later...

I went to Bermuda over "Mother's Day" a few years ago. It was too early to go. The water wasn't warm; the ocean can be rough.

Then I did that trip in late May. The ocean was smooth, but the weather there was awful (sit on the ship kind of weather).

Next time (probably this year) I'll wait until late June.

I went to Bermuda over "Mother's Day" a few years ago. It was too early to go. The water wasn't warm; the ocean can be rough.

Then I did that trip in late May. The ocean was smooth, but the weather there was awful (sit on the ship kind of weather).

Next time (probably this year) I'll wait until late June.

What do you mean by awful weather? Just cooler, or it rained a lot? I'm booked on the Memorial Day cruise, May 27 - June 3rd, just curious.

What do you mean by awful weather? Just cooler, or it rained a lot? I'm booked on the Memorial Day cruise, May 27 - June 3rd, just curious.

It was raining and very windy. There is a museum/shopping area right by the dock. It was so windy it was unpleasant to walk. As I recall, it felt like sand was hitting my face so we turned around and went back to the ship. Rain alone, unless it's a torrential downpour would not stop me from making a 5 minute walk.

I don't know if that's normal for late May...or just my bad luck with Bermuda cruises.

since we are only the second sailing from NYC in April, no time to see reviews for this Trying to glean Bermuda boards, NYC, Escape reviews etc. hopefully I will do a review to pay it forward from all I have learned from these boards over the years! :cool:
I went this past May from memorial day through 6/3 on Celebrity Summit. Weather was picture perfect. Smooth sailing there and back and great weather throughout. Horseshoe bay was a bit cold but otherwise very nice and warm, not hot. Of the 5 times going to Bermuda, including early May, late June, mid July and early August, the weather on my last trip surpassed them all. Regardless of when you go, it's in the Atlantic and even if it rains, it passes quickly unless of course it's a hurricane.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

For early season try Tom Moore's Jungle and swimming in the Blue hole for warmer water's.:cool:

https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_00008b.htm

Were thinking of booking April 22 Escape to Bermuda. I'm just concerned about the weather 70's? Has anyone been to Bermuda in early Spring? We have done Breakaway to Bermuda July 2015 it was awesome.

We have been on the Breakaway to Bermuda in April - it was actually an April 24th sailing. The weather was good - I think mid-70's - low-80's most days, a bit of rain at night and the water was packed at Horseshoe Beach - my husband and son went in and said it was comfortable. That being said, our last sea day on the way back was horrible due to a storm, but none of that stopped us from booking the April 22nd Escape to Bermuda this year!

I find April way too early for my preferences, of snorkeling. Those trips I don't go prior to Memorial Day.

But there is plenty else to see and do. I've been going twice per season the last couple years- due to the cheap last minute deals. :)

Very easy to go independent. and a very cheap place for me, to tour.

Not sure- if' it will be offered this season, but last, NCL had their own contracted ferry running to St. George, for free. :) So, perhaps, at least consider 1 day there and see the various sights. Head to your library for a Fodor's Bermuda as example.

We go to Bermuda usually once or twice a year because my work has conferences there in off season. Have been there often in April. I find the water way too cold to enjoy. But the ambient air temperature in usually in the mid-60's so it is pleasant, and usually sunny.

The Escape is a Breakaway-plus class ship and replaces the Breakaway who has doing that itinerary since May 2013. Other than ship-specific restaurants and bars, Breakaway reviews should give you an idea of the cruise. The following link will provide you with dailies from this past May, when we sailed the Breakaway to Bermuda during the America's Cup https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449

• 5 weeks later...
I find April way too early for my preferences, of snorkeling. Those trips I don't go prior to Memorial Day.

But there is plenty else to see and do. I've been going twice per season the last couple years- due to the cheap last minute deals. :)

Very easy to go independent. and a very cheap place for me, to tour.

Not sure- if' it will be offered this season, but last, NCL had their own contracted ferry running to St. George, for free. :) So, perhaps, at least consider 1 day there and see the various sights. Head to your library for a Fodor's Bermuda as example.

Where / how will we know if NCL will be offering the free ferry to St. George? Having been there so often...what re your MUST see/DO's for first timers with a 15 year old, and best places to snorkel from shore? We are thinking the caves, exploring a couple of forts and of course BEACHES! Is the night time event in Hamilton worth the time and expense to get there?

I went this past May from memorial day through 6/3 on Celebrity Summit. Weather was picture perfect. Smooth sailing there and back and great weather throughout. Horseshoe bay was a bit cold but otherwise very nice and warm, not hot. Of the 5 times going to Bermuda, including early May, late June, mid July and early August, the weather on my last trip surpassed them all. Regardless of when you go, it's in the Atlantic and even if it rains, it passes quickly unless of course it's a hurricane.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

When was your last trip? I am booked for 1st week of June 2019.

I think you have selected a great ship for the Bermuda cruise! The Escape has lots to do on board, so your sea days can be as packed as you want them to be!

Don't know about weather--check out weather.com. We are headed there on the Dawn in May and I am psyched!

Good think about the Escape is that even if the Bermuda weather is less than perfect, you can stay on the ship and still have a great time! As big as the ship was, we could still find quiet places with no one else around to sit and read. It just amazed me!