Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

jordans mom

Just because someone is asking about clarification on the dress code does not necessarily mean that they don't want to comply. If we do Cunard, we will of course comply with the dress code.

I just wasn't sure what it was; I truly did not know if a sports jacket was ok for non-formal nights or not.

I guess I could have gone to the Cunard site and checked myself, but it seemed easier to ask here, since several people knowledgeable about the dress code were posting.

We were not trying to get around the dress code!

If you took my post to be aimed at you I'm really sorry. Your question was fine, and so were the responses that addressed it directly. I was thinking more of those people who dislike dressing up yet want the full Cunard experience without doing so.

I'm sure your attire will be perfect.

Thank you. I wasn't thinking of you, but there have been quite a few posts that seemed to be really putting down anyone who even asked about the dress code.

We admittedly have gotten more casual in what we wear on other lines, because tuxes and formal gowns are no longer the norm on many of them. But less for us is jacket and tie for my husband, cocktail dress or dressy slacks and top for me. On Cunard, we'd step it up.

If you took my post to be aimed at you I'm really sorry. Your question was fine, and so were the responses that addressed it directly. I was thinking more of those people who dislike dressing up yet want the full Cunard experience without doing so.

I'm sure your attire will be perfect.

There are some of us who do not care at all about the “full Cunard experience.” We are only looking for a great accommodation with a butler, reasonably decent food and transportation. If the itinerary fits our needs and wants great and we will not spoil your formal occasions by enjoying our suite..

There are some of us who do not care at all about the “full Cunard experience.” We are only looking for a great accommodation with a butler, reasonably decent food and transportation. If the itinerary fits our needs and wants great and we will not spoil your formal occasions by enjoying our suite..

ROTFL!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cunard are in business. If they found they were losing custom because too many of their potential passengers find their dress code rather stilted, archaic and formal they would relax and change. Many other quality lines have done so. Cunard have not changed so presumably their bean counters are happy with the way things are. Their reputation is such that if you book a Cunard ship you know you are in for formality in dress and ambience. So pack accordingly and enjoy. If you think you won’t like it there are plenty of competitors that would love your custom. Don’t try to get Cunard to change, they will if they find their ships are getting emptier and the reason seems to be their formality.

Exactly right. You found the way to enjoy your cruises on your own terms. We also love the grills, but also like music in the evening, drinks in the Commodore Club, etc., so we do the dress thing. We don't mind it, though.

It would be interesting if on their new ship Cunard are still differentiating dining arrangements according to what you have booked, i.e. Brittania, Grills etc. This is maintaining the liner tradition. Most other luxury cruise lines have dispensed with this and the only differential seems to be in the position and quality of the cabin/suite. We love the dine anywhere and open seating arrangements and are anxious that we will not enjoy our forthcoming cruise on QE.

I am hoping Cunard DOES NOT "dispense" with the differential dining arrangements. Again, this is part of what makes Cunard Cunard.

I have traveled in the Queens Grill, the Princess Grill and Britannia. The selections and food quality are somewhat better in the Grills, but the big benefit is the ability to dine when you please.

This thread reminds me of my first crossing on QE2 in 2003. In those days the dress code was coat and tie on the first and last nights and formal for the other four nights.

We were in the Caronia dining room at a table for six. We were traveling with another couple. The third couple showed up a bit late and were very casually dressed. They noticed that they were under-dressed and asked us about the dress code. We explained that the next four nights were formal and men were expected to wear tuxedos or dark suits. They clearly had not been told (or done any research).

We never saw them again. I assume they ate all of thier in the Lido (buffet). I felt sorry for them but was glad that they chose to follow the rules.

As a First-Time cruiser on a Cunard... Thank you for this thread!

I will so enjoy the indulgences of smart-dressing and formal evenings! One person posted it's a time when you get to wear those things in the closet that just hang there waiting to be worn. I agree and am looking forward to this on the TA in April of '19.

But I am learning about daytime wear by reading here. Again, thank you!

I don't even know the questions I need to ask... So I'll lurk on many threads, learning.

On dry land evening dress at the opera and theatre has passed from de rigeur to optional to not at all. Smart casual now seems to be the most popular. Surely Cunard have or will follow suit!

The more relaxed atmosphere on Regent and Seaboard is much to enjoy and they are smart casual almost all the time except for the very occasional formal optional which does not seem a problem for most passengers.

Surely not.

Why would Cunard, the last hold out for true ocean cruising, want to change? Cunard is where we go to experience the traditional old world charm of ocean cruising at its finest. I love the YouTube videos of the balls, galas and themed nights. I’ve watched enough videos to know how I’m expected to dress and behave.

My husband and I have our first Cunard cruise booked next summer. Nineteen wonderful days of dressing for dinner and appreciating the finer things life has to offer.

We cruise other lines for different experiences. Viking Ocean for port intensive cruises. Princess for the affordable 700 sq ft suite you never leave. Under the right circumstances I may even cruise one of those ships with a zip line and ice bar��

I think it’s perfect that there’s a cruise line for every style of cruising desired. Cruise lines should not be homogeneous. Whatever your cruising style is you will find a line that satisfies you.

I am so glad Cunard Is holding the line on dress codes.

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

Amen to that.

Actually on my 25 August QE cruise, I noted many gentlemen went the dress "code" (and gentlemen and ladies really shouldn't have to be told or suggested how to dress in the first place) one better on "informal" nights by wearing a jacket AND tie. The way "informal" used to be determined.

I think (hope) Cunard has gotten the message: leave it alone. Some of us actually like traditional, classic ocean travel. Holland America Line has been steadily ruined in this regard for the last decade leaving Cunard as about the last bastion of it. Not everyone is a millennial in flip-flops and "sweats" in a fetal position with his or her phone. And yes, if cruise ships can have bumper cars and "zip lines", proper Cunarders can have a full, walk around promenade deck, with steamer chairs, too.

I am having trouble getting my head around why some one would want to travel on Cunard, and not want to be properly dressed. Dressing well is part of the ambiance and elegance of the ships. If you don't want to dress, then pick another line where casual clothing is appropriate.

Sometimes it's not so much choosing Cunard, it's about finding a ship that's going where you want to go on the days you want to go there. I will be sailing on QV next year and it will be my first time on Cunard. I didn't specifically choose Cunard, but needed to line up a specific itinerary at the conclusion of a land tour, and this was the only one that ticked those boxes for the date I required. I have no issue with "dressing up" but I will probably be at the lower end of what is acceptable - no tiaras for me! I must say, the more I read this thread, the more I am thinking it is not going to be very enjoyable if the majority of the other passengers are as judgemental as some posters on here!

Regards

Jan

Sometimes it's not so much choosing Cunard, it's about finding a ship that's going where you want to go on the days you want to go there. I will be sailing on QV next year and it will be my first time on Cunard. I didn't specifically choose Cunard, but needed to line up a specific itinerary at the conclusion of a land tour, and this was the only one that ticked those boxes for the date I required. I have no issue with "dressing up" but I will probably be at the lower end of what is acceptable - no tiaras for me! I must say, the more I read this thread, the more I am thinking it is not going to be very enjoyable if the majority of the other passengers are as judgemental as some posters on here!

Regards

Jan

Jan, Don’t worry! Cunarders are just the same as any other cruisers! I don’t know why everyone’s getting so hot under the collar. It’s no different to any nice restaurant. People wear all sorts just not jeans and sneakers! There happens to be 2 or 3 formal nights each cruise. Yes there will be ball gowns, full length or maxi dresses but also cocktail dresses, evening trouser suits or black slacks and floaty tops! In other words - all sorts! I’ve only seen headwear on special themed gala ball nights like the Ascot ball but even then it’s not obligatory. I just go with the flow but mainly do my own thing. I love to people watch though and have seen some supreme efforts - lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Regards

Jan

Jan: You have my support. We don't mind dressing up and have found some work-arounds that keep our luggage from becoming too cumbersome. But I too am itinerary-driven, and love the QM2 for the crossings. No other line does crossings, unless you count repositionings in the spring and fall, and the odd Iceland voyage, so if you like to cross the Atlantic by ship, you have Cunard and the QM2. I would just prefer a modest amount of flexibility regarding the formal dress code.