EXTRA grats with cash

cruisinaz

always so much chatter about tipping..but I am wondering if anyone REALLY knows about how the staff feels about cash vs extra on the room charges. Thus.. if I give my room steward or server and extra $20 in cash - do they pocket it or report it? I would like them to benefit from the cash but at the same time I get they share the pool of money. Anyone know first hand how it really works?

I know the cruise ship workers seem much more appreciative of the tips than on land. I would think that if they are working as part of a team, that they would see the benefit of sharing the tip with those that helped them be successful. I would want to encourage my team mates to keep supporting me because the best teams get the extra tips, we go out of our way to ensure we show our appreciation when we have a great experience with the room steward and dining room. I did the same at camp when my son was young enough to attend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last cruise, we sat in the Atrium every evening after dinner. We had the same waitress that we tipped well -- to the point she moved some chairs (and a few people) one night to make room for us. She told us in no uncertain terms that tips in cash were hers to keep, but if we put it on the receipts for drinks they were split amongst the bar staff. I don't know if she took care of the bartenders or what went on in the back, but she was most happy to accept cash.

Highly doubt they would report any tips. Too who?

I had to laugh at this. They would report it to their employer just like if you worked in the USA. Tips, are taxable income, that must be reported. The ship crew works like a family, with tips being "back tipped" to their helpers.

Everyone knows, the workers live on tips. So tip them if you want. But don't be concerned with who, and why they share. It's their business, and not ours.

I had to laugh at this. They would report it to their employer just like if you worked in the USA. Tips, are taxable income, that must be reported. The ship crew works like a family, with tips being "back tipped" to their helpers.

Everyone knows, the workers live on tips. So tip them if you want. But don't be concerned with who, and why they share. It's their business, and not ours.

If it's me and my cabin steward in my cabin alone and I hand him a $20 bill id bet my life that $20 never sees the light of day until his contract is done and he goes home. Same goes with waitstaff. I have been told many, many times on multiple ships they keep cash and it's not reported or turned in to anyone. Just like here in the USA :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

I was sure to take extra cash for our room steward, dining room staff, etc. on the Dream last month. However, the service was so inferior to anything we've experienced previously, that it took all I had not to remove the prepaid grats from our bill. Housekeeping and dining room was completely disappointing.

Here's my understanding of how it works within the Carnival Corp - For Cabin Stewards and Dining Room

1. If a passenger pulls their auto grats and decides to totally tip in cash -that cash must be added to the tip pool under threat of losing their job if they don't.

2. Pre-paid grats are put into that pool as well and paid out according to percentages based on contractual agreements

3. IF a passenger leaves the auto grats in place (or prepays) then the employee may pocket any and all cash tips they receive.

4. In the dining room a head waiter may have some agreement on how or if cash tips are divided among their own team but they keep the cash within the team.

This isn't cut in stone but my understanding after many sailings, talking to staff and seeing a copy of the HAL (owned by Carnival) employee handbook :)

If it's me and my cabin steward in my cabin alone and I hand him a $20 bill id bet my life that $20 never sees the light of day until his contract is done and he goes home. Same goes with waitstaff. I have been told many, many times on multiple ships they keep cash and it's not reported or turned in to anyone. Just like here in the USA :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

The staff will tell you what they think you want to hear. So believe it if you want.

They will pocket any cash given to them (wouldn't you?)...but, they do get the tips they are entitled to when you leave tips on your account. I don't know where the "tip pooling" thing got started....

But...even on land, in most restaurants, tips to your waiter/waitress are shared with the host/hostess, bus person, and sometimes, bar staff. Do with that what you will.

And how would the crew member (waiter, steward, whoever) know if you pulled the auto-gratuity? I seriously doubt anyone would say they had done so.

I seen lists of people/rooms who have pulled auto tips laying on a steward/ housekeeper cart. They know which rooms aren't tipping.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app