Edge : confirms the many classes on Celebrity

Lolotte

Hmmm, so if I were to try to book one of those adjoining cabins would they sell it to me even if I wasn't sailing with friends in the suite? I suppose they might rather than letting it go empty.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmmm, so if I were to try to book one of those adjoining cabins would they sell it to me even if I wasn't sailing with friends in the suite? I suppose they might rather than letting it go empty.

Denise

You could certainly book one of the adjoining/connecting cabins but if you don't know the people who are in the connecting suite, you wouldn't have access to The Retreat. The connecting door could be kept closed/locked. I believe the reservations have to be linked.

Would friends also be able to eat in the suite dining room?

Do their cabins have to connect or the reservations?

They can dine in Luminae on a space availability basis and for s fee. As can anyone else the suite guest chooses to invite. Access to the retreat from adjoining cabins does not allow them to dine in Luminae for free though. The fees are...

Breakfast $10

Lunch $20

Dinner $30

You could certainly book one of the adjoining/connecting cabins but if you don't know the people who are in the connecting suite, you wouldn't have access to The Retreat. The connecting door could be kept closed/locked. I believe the reservations have to be linked.

Thank you, that makes sense.

Denise

Thank u for voicing this as I feel the exact same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Money talks. MSC has a huge area dedicated to higher paying passengers, a.k.a. their Yacht Club.

That is the way it is and I don't have a problem with it. The only thing I will say, is that in certain cases I think it can lead to an element of snobbery. But it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are friends/family with any "Tom, Dick or Harry" and they are staying in a connected room (and you are in a suite), everyone will have access. This was in a press release:

What’s more, for the first time ever, guests in a non-Suite stateroom that are connected with a Suite will also enjoy all the benefits from The Retreat’s luxurious amenities.

The quote from the celebrity press release doesn't say anything about knowing who is in the suite (unless by "Connected" they mean by knowing them, not by being physically adjoining them??)

• 6 months later...

...As Tee Rick says "you pay more, you get more". It's not surprising at all that X introduced The Retreat.

Those folks who book a more affordable category can't complain that those of us that are paying premiums are unfairly getting more than they are, or hope that "the upgrade fairy" will visit them and are disappointed when she doesn't. It's not classes, it's supply and demand - a free market enterprise.

X has more than doubled the cost SS. I would like to be able to pay for a larger room option and forgo Michaels Club (it been a yawn every time) and Luminé has a very limited menu and is often sparsely used. When I have been on other large ships that have separate retreats and havens, they reduce the usable deck size and make these areas seem closterfobic, IMHO.

The cost keeps going up as they offer economic class divisions which is fine - if you like to be stuffed into smaller spaces that are "exclusive". I love lux, but for those $$$ I would rather it on a lux cruise line where everyone is enjoying all the amineties together throughout the ship.

My concern is the retreat will be filled with families and young children ( that are in connecting cabins ). No Marco Polo for me thanks. For the prices X is charging for suites you can go on a luxury line. I have cruised on Oceania, Seabourn and Crystal this year for less than X is charging for their suites. They will have to come down in price before I return. I have sailed over 25 cruises with X.

There are only 2 times I've had an issue with the "segregation of the classes"...

1) Last year I was considering a cruise on NCL's Breakaway since it's only a subway ride and walk for me to get to the port in NYC. I was on these boards (for NCL obviously) looking for information about places to go for quiet since I'm NOT into the waterpark stuff and many suggested the Vibe - their adult-only paid area, but said that the wristbands for it went quickly so go and try for that as soon as you boarded. But then in reading reports, it became clear why they were so hard to get. Apparently the Vibe is right next to the Haven deck area, and it was becoming a thing for Haven guests to buy up the wrist bands for Vibe - and then not use it, but it kept the area next to them quiet. That really turned me off. You'd think the servers in the Vibe area would complain enough for the line to look into it and stop allowing Haven guests to buy Vibe wristbands - and maybe they have since then. Once my principal said that she and her family like to cruise NCL (and specifically the Breakaway) because of the proximity, the line and ship went right off my radar. LAST person I want to run into on a vacation is her. LOL.

2) Disney has recently converted (or is in process of doing so) the entire upstairs area over the Cove Cafe on the Wonder into the Concierge lounge, taking completely away the one indoor place people were able to go and have views in Alaska. They had made half of the area Concierge lounge (Ok, fair enough...the other ships all have a Concierge lounge - the Dream and Fantasy in the Concierge area, the Magic in the same half of the area about Cove Cafe) for this season, but next season, the whole thing will be Concierge (and I could see them doing the same for the Magic in the future for equity). It's one thing to create a separate area on new builds. It's quite another to take space on established ships and convert it.

My concern is the retreat will be filled with families and young children ( that are in connecting cabins ). No Marco Polo for me thanks. For the prices X is charging for suites you can go on a luxury line. I have cruised on Oceania, Seabourn and Crystal this year for less than X is charging for their suites. They will have to come down in price before I return. I have sailed over 25 cruises with X.

I suspect you may be right. I am thinking that I might be retreating from the "Retreat" as it may be crowded and noisy at times.

I booked an Edge suite the first day or so and got a reasonable price (relatively speaking) for an aft S1. The cost doubled for that suite, if I remember correctly, before being sold out. AQ is sold out, but an occasional AQ will show up on my cruise price alert at a few thousand $$ more than we paid for the S1 (which included all 4 perks), so we will stay in the suite and see what the experience is like. With a brand new ship to explore, with lots of new amenities and venues, it should be an amazing cruise, even if the Retreat turns out not to be a retreat. :D

When we started cruising on Celebrity in 2003 ( Century) everybody was entitled to the same food, activities service etc . Now contrary to the other lines Celebrity has many classes : different dining rooms ( Luminae, Blu). I do not object to the specialty restaurant which comes for a price but are available to all.... I object to the private pool, terrace, bar on Edge for the upper classes.... I do not feel that way on any other cruise line. We have done 20 cruises with Celebrity and I think it is time to move on...Celebrity is moving to attract the rich and famous... even on the luxury ships an indoor cabin will grant you all the advantages and will not make you feel as an outcast.

The newer ships on all cruise lines (NCL Escape/Breakaway, Royal Oasis and Quantum class ships, Carnival Vista class ships) all have one kind or another extra perks for guests who are loyals or are willing to spend more. If you sail with the older ships you may not have that issue. As you say, it is a moot point if you prefer to cruise with Oceania or Crystal.

By virtue of the fact that there are various and differing cabins with corresponding 'Perks' for each is exactly that, a class system based on what each passenger is willing to pay.

It matters not, at least to me, if that means exclusive dining venues for these passengers (to wit Luminae and Blu) or embarkation/dis-embarkation status.... just as long as my sailing is great and service is good.

Does one choose not to fly on many airlines because of the class system inherent there? I dare say not too often. The major complaints there include not getting the same 'perks' for paying the lowest fares which do not have them inclusive, just point A to point B transport or luggage out first or lounge access etc....

There are not too many, if any, ships which offer a 'one-class' system.

If X's class system is offensive, there are other options for sailing these days which are in reach for many who cruise today. Explore them and decide how offensive the class system really is or not.

bon voyage

My thoughts exactly and I couldn't have said it any better.

By virtue of the fact that there are various and differing cabins with corresponding 'Perks' for each is exactly that, a class system based on what each passenger is willing to pay.

It matters not, at least to me, if that means exclusive dining venues for these passengers (to wit Luminae and Blu) or embarkation/dis-embarkation status.... just as long as my sailing is great and service is good.

Does one choose not to fly on many airlines because of the class system inherent there? I dare say not too often. The major complaints there include not getting the same 'perks' for paying the lowest fares which do not have them inclusive, just point A to point B transport or luggage out first or lounge access etc....

There are not too many, if any, ships which offer a 'one-class' system.

If X's class system is offensive, there are other options for sailing these days which are in reach for many who cruise today. Explore them and decide how offensive the class system really is or not.

bon voyage

I just started reading this thread but Viking Ocean offers what is close to a 'one class' system. ALL cabins are verandah. ALL dining rooms (including specialty dining) are FREE and open to all. When you get down to details, there are small differences between categories of cabin but they are inconsequential.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just started reading this thread but Viking Ocean offers what is close to a 'one class' system. ALL cabins are verandah. ALL dining rooms (including specialty dining) are FREE and open to all. When you get down to details, there are small differences between categories of cabin but they are inconsequential.

Yet people in the lowest category cabins on Viking are complaining that they don't get to book specialty restaurants and shore excursions until all the upper levels (starting with the top suites and working down level by level pre-cruise). There are evidences of 'class system' everywhere, and envy from those on the bottom.

Yet people in the lowest category cabins on Viking are complaining that they don't get to book specialty restaurants and shore excursions until all the upper levels (starting with the top suites and working down level by level pre-cruise). There are evidences of 'class system' everywhere, and envy from those on the bottom.
j - do they talk about the previous lines sailed or how they may have been better or worse in this regard as a comparison?

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
...many suggested the Vibe - their adult-only paid area, but said that the wristbands for it went quickly so go and try for that as soon as you boarded. But then in reading reports, it became clear why they were so hard to get. Apparently the Vibe is right next to the Haven deck area, and it was becoming a thing for Haven guests to buy up the wrist bands for Vibe - and then not use it, but it kept the area next to them quiet. That really turned me off. You'd think the servers in the Vibe area would complain enough for the line to look into it and stop allowing Haven guests to buy Vibe wristbands - and maybe they have since then.

You may have been given false information.

It wouldn't make sense for any Haven guest to buy a VIBE pass and not use it just to keep that area quiet. More than likely, someone who didn't get a VIBE pass walked over and looked at the VIBE area and assumed that since it wasn't crowded/loud, those evil Haven guests bought all of the passes just to prevent others from enjoying VIBE. Paranoia strikes again...

Haven guests who buy VIBE passes do so for many reasons such as...

1. VIBE is the only adult-only sundeck on the ship that is limited to a certain number of guests (not crowded).
  2. VIBE has a dedicated bar located just a few feet from where you are sitting/lounging. The Haven sundeck doesn't have a bar (it's 1-2 decks below depending on the ship). Both areas have servers but who wants to wait several minutes for a drink?
  3. Personalized service from the bar since the limited number of guests allows for bartenders to know the likes/dislikes of guests.

Also, it isn't just Haven guests who get the first opportunity to purchase VIBE passes. Anyone with priority boarding has a better chance at getting a VIBE pass (no need to run for a pass before they sell-out).

There is no valid reason to prevent Haven guests or any other guests from getting a VIBE pass.

When we started cruising on Celebrity in 2003 ( Century) everybody was entitled to the same food, activities service etc . Now contrary to the other lines Celebrity has many classes : different dining rooms ( Luminae, Blu). I do not object to the specialty restaurant which comes for a price but are available to all.... I object to the private pool, terrace, bar on Edge for the upper classes.... I do not feel that way on any other cruise line. We have done 20 cruises with Celebrity and I think it is time to move on...Celebrity is moving to attract the rich and famous... even on the luxury ships an indoor cabin will grant you all the advantages and will not make you feel as an outcast.

We always travel tourist when flying and have only cruised in a suite once (when upgraded) in 16 cruises.

I don't have a problem with different restaurants, pools or bars for cruises that pay the much higher prices.

Do you resent those flying First Class or Business when you fly tourist?

Some people want to spend a small fortune on a cruise and go for the best there is to offer. Fine, but we are not on that page. We like to cruise and/or travel frequently and find the MDR and a balcony to be wonderful. We do not feel like outcasts. Do you resent their status because you can't pay for it or just won't?