28 Day Sapphire South Pacific fashion questions and other girly stuff

SissyG

Ok ladies, this is where we can ask questions about what to wear, how many pairs of shoes should we take and then how many we plan to take. Questions about the 4 formal nights and how dressy is formal in the South Pacific.

WE had great fun on the last South Pacific fashion thread I started so don't be afraid to ask any question or offer any information. It is amazing how much there is to learn from one another.

xoSissy

HI Karen,

Just read Toto's latest FB post and she mentioned buying a pareo in Tahiti...this is a must, they have so many pretty patterns, different fabrics and colors...I bought some at Bora Bora at the local crafts market and even nicer ones at Papeete at Le Marche, this one had a beautiful polynesian woman from a Gaugain painting...it's so hard to decide, you will want one to go with each of your bathing suits and they really make nice inexpensive gifts.

Just read Toto's latest FB post and she mentioned buying a pareo in Tahiti...this is a must, they have so many pretty patterns, different fabrics and colors...I bought some at Bora Bora at the local crafts market and even nicer ones at Papeete at Le Marche, one of these had a beautiful polynesian woman from a Gaugain painting...it's so hard to decide, you will want one to go with each of your bathing suits and they really make nice inexpensive gifts.

Yes, how dressy is formal night in the South Pacific, lol.

For non-formal nights, I have several pairs of crop pants, but they are mostly on the casual side, but would still work for dining room purposes. I am going to try to find some nicer ones as well.

For formal nights, I think I'll just bring black pants and a sparkly top, but not sure I'll use them since both my friend and I are very non-formal. We usually hit the buffet those nights. :D Still it might be fun to have an option just in case.

My head is spinning trying to figure out how many of what to bring. :D I spent some time today cleaning off my spare bed and laying things out that I have already purchased...3 pairs of water shoes even though I doubt I'll even need 1 pair :rolleyes:...tote bags...organizers.

For organization I've purchased two shoe pocket things. I plan to put one in the closet and one in the bathroom.

28 days is a long time for two women who live alone to be in a small cabin without some sort of organization. :p

Now I just have to decide if I want to buy new luggage or make do with what I have. :o

I plan to bring 2 or 3 sets of Chico's travelors...no tummy pants, cami or shell and several sheer dressy tops to go with each and a new emerald green silk jacket that I just could not resist to wear for one of the formal nights..plus white slacks and probably a pair of dressy black dupioni silk ankle pants...these will have to do me for formal and nights that I want to dress more than casual ..then cotton crops and and cotton ankle pants to wear for the casual nights with tops and dressy tees...there will be a lot of mixing and matching going on. I have quite a few sheer chiffon Chicos top and these weigh nothin and take up little room so will be able to have some variety. I am a big Chico's fan.

We like to dress for the formal nights...Robert is bringing his tux and a white dinner jacket, I love the look of a white dinner jackets in warm weather..he has several cummerbunds and bow tie sets and even a tropical set I ordered from Hawaii for him. Formal nights are a mixed bag just like on most cruises ...some tuxes and some suits and then some who didn't get the memo that the dress for the evening is formal and seem to show up in the same thing they would wear any night. On both of our other transpacific cruises we have opted to only do 3 formal nights and made a group reservation for Sabatinis for the other..so if you like to dress or not you will not be alone and will should feel comfortable...both of our long cruises were a few years ago before the stringent allowances or baggage charges so I really believe that there will be more and more people who dress more casually.

Hi ladies

I am doing a similar cruise to you but it is roundtrip from Sydney (Tonga, American and Western Samoa, Hawaii, Tahiti and Fiji) on the Dawn Princess and it is 35 days!!

I leave in just over 6 weeks, so the packing list keeps changing and will I have enough........:confused:

Would love a Tahitian black pearl

The Tahitian black pearls are beautiful, come in all shades and sizes and prices...but mostly expensive. The first time I was in Tahiti Robert bought me a Tahitian pearl drop pendant from the Sapphire Princess jewlery shop, I love it...last time we were in Tahiti I wanted earrings but it didn't happen so I am determined to get black pearl earrings this time..who knows if I will get back to Tahiti. There are jewelry stores in Papeete and I think I am going to give them a look this time.

Aha! Here we are. This is going to be a helpful thread. WIth 28 days to pack for, we can all use ideas that may make it easier.

I guess one good thing is not having to be concerned about packing for international flights and some of their restrictions. As I recall it was a bit more restrictive. Of course, almost any airline is more restrictive than Southwest, my favorite carrier.

Mary Lou

I've spent all morning trying to find a suitcase that gets close to matching the one I have...sheesh, who knew it could be so hard, lol. I have a bright pink 25" suitcase that I'll use and was trying to find one that was close to the same color in a 27 or 29". I can find hardsided, but they are pretty expensive and I've not read great reviews on some of them, so hate to spend a lot of money if they won't hold up. Maybe I'll just get a cheapy and spray paint it. :D

I've spent all morning trying to find a suitcase that gets close to matching the one I have...sheesh, who knew it could be so hard, lol. I have a bright pink 25" suitcase that I'll use and was trying to find one that was close to the same color in a 27 or 29". I can find hardsided, but they are pretty expensive and I've not read great reviews on some of them, so hate to spend a lot of money if they won't hold up. Maybe I'll just get a cheapy and spray paint it. :D

Have you looked on EBay?

MY luggage is taupe and I bought it because I thought it was a little different, easy to locate on the carousel and because I thought it would never look dirty....WRONG, the airlines seem to manage to get black hard to remove gunk on it everytime we travel...Last time it also got wet sitting outside at DFW on our way home...so going to try to use some foam upholstery cleaner on it to try to get it looking ok...unless someone has a better idea. I use Febreeze on the inside to freshen them when we take then down from our attic before a trip and it works great.

All my luggage doesn't match...I had to buy a black one too...Robert has navy blue, his always looks great..doesn't show dirt. Both ours are Costco, have lasted for years and still don't show any wear.

Sissy, thanks for starting this great thread. I can tell it is going to be a lot of fun. I, too, like Chicos and like to mix and match their things. I also like Chico's zenergy for casual travel clothes. We enjoy dressing up for formal nights and have never missed one yet. With 28 days on our cruise, I will be repeating my outfits several times. For warm weather cruises, I enjoy white pants and skirts. It is amazing how many different looks you can get by changing the tops and using different accessories. Of course, I will definitely take basic black pants and a black skirt, too.

Grace, would you believe I have never bought anything from eBay, lol?! I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

I like Chicos as well. I have a few of their tops, but not sure what size pant I take anymore. I'll have to visit one of their stores before the trip...their quality is very good.

I have a bright pink suitcase and matching duffle bags in a couple of sizes, then a set of dark green (which look black and get very lost among all the black bags) which I've painted flowers on--the flowers help as long as there isn't a LOT of bags right next to it, and I have a couple of smaller wheeled black suitcases. I have a set of light pink hard sided suitcases, but I'm pretty sure the biggest one won't fit under the bed, so it would use up valuable closet space.

Donna I've bought a lot of things from Ebay auctions, love watching the time tick down and then bid..Ive been happy with everything I've bought and have never had a problem....but the first time I bid I accidently added extra zeros to my bid so it was in the thousands....boy did I scramble to find out how to undo it quickly...fortunately I was able to correct my bid and won the auction....I have to admit it is a bit addictive...xo

Sissy, thanks for starting this fun thread. I think anyone planning to do any water activities will find that water shoes will be the best apparel purchase you make!!

We have been to Samoa and found Apia and Pago Pago to be the warmest places we visited. It was this same time of year, and on the water in the Tahitian islands it was quite cool on the boat trips we took especially after snorkeling when you are wet. A light weight jacket or wind breaker was good to have for those breezy times.

On our ship they had a gal demonstrating the various ways to tie a pareo, but she went so fast I never did get it! Anyone here know the ropes? Maybe we could get a group together for a private lesson onboard!

Happy shopping to all!

Bobbie

Bobbie, I always take my Tevas sandals and a pair of dive booties when we go on any water tours. I like that I can rinse the sand out of the Tevas easily..hate when sand gets into the water shoes and since they are closed up you hve to take them off to get little rocks out...the dive booties work well with my fins when we snorkle.

I know a few ways to tie a pareo but on a Tahitian tour in 2004 we had a demonstration and was amazed at how many cute ways she was able to style a pareo. I was trying to concentrate and remember how she did some of them but when I actually tried it I always wound up with the same style.

Hum, I was looking at Teva, but haven't bought any yet...

Okay, so tell me some clever ideas for storage/organization.

I've purchased some things already:

1. Collapsable narrow cloth shoe shelf that I can hang in the closet for shoes or small foldable stuff.

2. Over-the-door shoe pocket thing for the bathroom and am going to get one for the closet as well. (I have a lot of little things that take up too much space in the drawers and make it hard to find things, lol).

3. Collabsable small trunk organizer which should come in handy for something.

I need some kind of file thing for papers. We always seem to collect all kinds of paper and the important stuff gets lost in with the patters that my friend always likes to keep. I've heard some people use magnetic clips to keep the important stuff in sight. May try that.

I will be bringing some of my own food and in the past on smaller trips I just heap the stuff on the shelves under the TV, but that can get messy, and with 28 days, I think I might try to be neater. :)

So, what are those great storage ideas..some of you have been on some mighty long cruises. :)

Archived