Getaway need show resv when in Haven?

Hawaii_Flyer

Hi All,

I am considering booking a Haven suite on the Getaway. We like to go to the shows and do specialty restaurants but don't like to have to plan our whole trip out in advance.

With as many people as are on that ship I understand the need for reservations but I was wondering if you are in the Haven are you able to get or change show and dining reservations pretty easily during the cruise. Or do you need to have it planned out ahead of time?

Also, I have read a lot of reviews that said that eating lunch/dinner at Cagney's was good suite perk. Is that still available on getaway or is that replaced by the haven restaurant?

We are torn between the aft penthouse, because of the great balconies and being in the haven courtyard area, pitiful small balconies. Would love to hear peoples opinions before and against these locations.

Thanks

When I was in the Breakaways Haven, the concierge was able to get us in any show or restaurant, provided we gave him a bit of flexibility. I believe they reserve a section of seats for Haven guests. We never had much of a problem, except on the last night at Cagney's. ( It seems everybody wanted to try it last minute if they hadn't already. )

Edited by AEckhardt

Following........because I would like to know as well!!! We have booked in the Haven with the pitiful small balcony and no makeup table area.......I'm kind of spoiled from past suites........but am torn between being in the haven courtyard or being in an aft penthouse.....tough decisions!!!!

Leah

The Haven restaurant replaces Cagney's for breakfast and lunch and also includes dinner if you want - which is GREAT, BUT the Haven Restaurants serve the exact same thing that is served in Cagney's on Jewel class ships.. So the only change you will notice is that you are in a restaurant that is not decorated the same as Cagney's but is just as nice, if not nicer, and there is also a casual outdoor area where some people eat breakfast but is mostly used through the afternoon and a couple of bars - one on the deck and one outside of the restaurant that are especially for suite guests.

Make your show reservations and if you need to change, contact the concierge. The theaters are smaller, so you really do need reservations in most cases, especially for the illusionarium and the musical that is onboard.

We stay in spa suites because we want the included spa experience, so don't care about being in The Haven. While it is a bit of a walk for us, we prefer the access to the spa to staying in The Haven and after all, we can use The Haven anytime we want.

As far as cabin choices, if you don't mind a little walk, go with the aft ph balcony. The bedroom is separate from the living area, unlike the courtyard ph, and obviously the balcony is enormous! You can still use all the Haven amenities, it's just a bit further away.

In the theatre, there is a reserved section for Haven guests on the left hand side. It becomes publicly available about 10 minutes before the show starts.

Suite breakfast and lunch are served in Haven restaurant where available (meaning all the megaships). They also serve dinner unlike older ships where suite dining is in one of the speciality restaurants that is normally open for fee for everyone in the evenings.

Edited by Demonyte

Is Adrian still the concierge on Getaway? If so does anyone know how much longer he will be on board?

I had Adrian on the Breakaway in May. He was wonderful! He would definitely be a deciding factor for me choosing which ship to sail!

Thanks for all of your replies, this is so helpful.

We have also been trying to decide between getaway and breakaway.

I also have been looking at the Dawn, looks like we can get into a GV for our group for not much more than we will pay on ga/ba. Has anyone been on Dawn and Getaway? How do they compare?

Thanks Again

I also have been looking at the Dawn, looks like we can get into a GV for our group for not much more than we will pay on ga/ba. Has anyone been on Dawn and Getaway? How do they compare?

Dawn is an older ships without any bells and whistles. But that said, GV on Dawn class ships in unparallel to anything on entire fleet - new megaships included.

If you have a chance and are fine with traditional entertainment and a ship without a lot of extra activities like rope course, proper waterslides etc, I'd say that definitely go for GV - we had a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity to stay in GV on Dawn last April and it was truly amazing.

I've done the dawn and the Breakaway, which is the sister ship to the Getaway. Very different experiences. The Away class ships are giant floating cities with tons and tons of activities and Broadway style shows. The Dawn is a smaller class. The shows are still fun. ( Bollywood is very good! ) but there are more limited options as far as dining, bars, and activities.

I've had tons of fun on both ships! It depends on what you expect and what type of cruiser you are.

Nothing on the Getaway can compare to the Garden Villa. It's like your own personal Haven.. It's definitely worth doing at least once in your lifetime!

Edited by AEckhardt

You have to have a reservation for the shows even with the Haven reserved seating. Now the concierge can make them when you get onboard. They scan your card when you enter the theater no reservation you are on standby even with those reserved seats sitting open.

There is nothing that beats that aft balcony. The size is awesome and the views are amazing. Plus, a lot less windy. I have stayed in 11308 (Haven aft) on the breakaway and will be staying in the same room on the Getaway. Love the set up of that room. The walk to the haven area really isn't bad at all and besides, if you are like me, and eat your way through the cruise, the walk does you some good! :D:p

Enjoy your cruise!

I was on the Epic in February 2014 booked into a garden villa in the Haven. The Haven on the newest ships such as Getaway, breakaway and Epic have a very large courtyard area as well as other great common space suite amenities, and that was very nice to have all that just steps away. However, I do agree that the balconies are very small and the option of a bigger space and nicer balconies on an aft penthouse would probably be my choice as well. Regarding your question on the scheduling of entertainment and activities... you should get an email or a letter in the mail giving you some direction on how to reach out to the suite concierge prior to boarding the ship. This contact information and group of people can assist you in advance with any reservations that you wish to make. When I was on the Epic, the only thing I booked in advance was the dinner theater event. Most other stuff that I did was booked while on the ship through the Haven suite concierge. I never had any problems getting times or nights for any of my bookings.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

I was on the Epic in February 2014 booked into a garden villa in the Haven. The Haven on the newest ships such as Getaway, breakaway and Epic have a very large courtyard area as well as other great common space suite amenities, and that was very nice to have all that just steps away. However, I do agree that the balconies are very small and the option of a bigger space and nicer balconies on an aft penthouse would probably be my choice as well. Regarding your question on the scheduling of entertainment and activities... you should get an email or a letter in the mail giving you some direction on how to reach out to the suite concierge prior to boarding the ship. This contact information and group of people can assist you in advance with any reservations that you wish to make. When I was on the Epic, the only thing I booked in advance was the dinner theater event. Most other stuff that I did was booked while on the ship through the Haven suite concierge. I never had any problems getting times or nights for any of my bookings.

I think you misunderstand what the Garden Villa is. It is a 6900 sqft 3 bedroom cabin, with its own private courtyard, hot tub and sun deck, not shared with other guests. It is not on any of the new mega ships.

Edited by AEckhardt

I think you misunderstand what the Garden Villa is. It is a 1600 sqft 3 bedroom cabin, with its own private courtyard, hot tub and sun deck, not shared with other guests. It is not on any of the new mega ships.

I think you misunderstood what a garden villa is. And maybe you should go look at the floorplans of the Epic.

First, I'm not talking about the balcony or the private terrace of a true Garden Villa, I was referring to the common space areas of the Haven courtyard.

Second, the three-bedroom garden villas are considerably larger than 1600 ft.². Depending on the ship, they are between 4000 ft.² and 6000 ft.²

Did anyone feel like they weren't part of the "haven" experience being in the haven aft ph? We have stayed in the haven courtyard on the Pearl before but were in 2bdrm family suites and that was amazing, being so close. But this time, it's a small haven ph for just my daughter and I, but I like the space and balcony of the aft.......but I want to have that "haven" experience as well!!!

Leah

I think you misunderstood what a garden villa is. And maybe you should go look at the floorplans of the Epic.

First, I'm not talking about the balcony or the private terrace of a true Garden Villa, I was referring to the common space areas of the Haven courtyard.

Second, the three-bedroom garden villas are considerably larger than 1600 ft.². Depending on the ship, they are between 4000 ft.² and 6000 ft.²

There are no Garden Villas on the Epic. There are Haven suites, which all share a common courtyard. I'm not confused and did immediately correct my typo on the square footage.

Please tell me where the Garden Villa on the Epic is, as there are none listed in NCLs floor plans.

There are no Garden Villas on the Epic. There are Haven suites, which all share a common courtyard. I'm not confused and did immediately correct my typo on the square footage.

I just went back and looked at my previous post and realized I substituted the word "garden" for "family." I intended to say they are two bedroom family villas on the epic.

Edited by vulcan1971

Go to the Norwegian website, pull up the epic cruise ship, look at the floor plans for decks 16 and 17. There are a total of 46 two bedroom garden villas available. There are no three-bedroom garden villas. And I was not referring to my suite, I was referring to the public common areas of the courtyard that all suite passengers have access to.

In the future, please do not confuse what is listed as a "Haven 2 Bedroom Villa" as a "Garden Villa". They are two entirely different suites.

I just went back and looked at my previous post and realized I substituted the word "garden" for "family." I intended to say they are two bedroom family villas on the epic.

In the future, please do not confuse what is listed as a "Haven 2 Bedroom Villa" as a "Garden Villa". They are two entirely different suites.

Apparently you are so quick to post your response that I hadn't even finished editing my accidental posting with an error I caught on my own.

We posted at the same time.. Lol. Thank you for seeing where my previous post stemmed from. I honestly think NCL should use the term "villa" on either all or none of the 2bedrooms as the names vary on other ships.

( Either way, it's a lovely suite! And the Haven is wonderful! 😊)