Norwegian Sun Pools in Alaska

newzandile

We'll be on the Sun sailing NB Alaska in just over 3 weeks. I'd assumed the pools wouldn't be usable but I recently saw something on social media about the deeper pool on the Sun not being heated (and that was a complaint of the poster I think) but it implied that the other pool was?

Is that the case? Does anyone use the pools on the Norwegian Sun in Alaska? I'm bringing a bathing suit in case I'm in the mood for a hot tub but the idea of swimming is appealing if the water won't be freezing.

Thanks in advance for input!

Awesome! I'm watching people leave for their Juneau excursions from the webcam! :-) Did ya'll get close to Hubbard? I couldn't watch much Tuesday.

We're in Skagway today :-)

It felt like we could touch Hubbard. I was able to get an iceberg calving in a series of photos. I'll link to them in my review :-)

I was on the Sun from May 30-June 6, northbound from Vancouver to Anchorage. If the pools were heated, it was very little, but the hot tubs were always steaming. Occasionally I saw people doing "polar bear plunge" from the hot tubs into the pools in back, but apart from the first day in Vancouver, when temperatures were in the 70s and sunny, there was very little use of the pools.

Was on the May 30th northbound. Everyone in my family went for a swim except me. One pool was freezing cold, another tolerable. hot tubs err comfortable and not overly hot. My oldest daughter spent a surprising amount of time in the pool and hot tub and didn't get sick.

Funny! http://www.sea-scanner.com/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Norwegian+Sun says ya'll are in Juneau but I didn't think the view looked right.

We did some strange loop-the-loop leaving ISP. Went out to sea, did about a 30-mile circle, then went back in over water we'd traveled ... three times now. I'm guessing it was something to do with tides...it seems like one of the guides I read mentioned a pinch point that can only he traversed at slack tide.

At least one ship staff thought today was Juneau, also. Photographer made an appointment for 2pm so we could do pictures past the glaciers. So that's tomorrow now :-)

Waiting to depart Skagway today, we watched a lifeboat drill with the Disney Wonder crew. I posted it to the first timer forum, but thought some of you might like to see it too. Topic on the newcomer forum is "What does a cruise ship lifeboat look like in use?"

BTW, to not hijack the topic totally, I can confirm the pools were well used today. 80 degrees in Skagway much of the afternoon!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Waiting to depart Skagway today, we watched a lifeboat drill with the Disney Wonder crew. I posted it to the first timer forum, but thought some of you might like to see it too. Topic on the newcomer forum is "What does a cruise ship lifeboat look like in use?"

BTW, to not hijack the topic totally, I can confirm the pools were well used today. 80 degrees in Skagway much of the afternoon!

plainsstormchaser according to the cruise schedule the sun reversed Juneau and Skagway. Any mention why?

plainsstormchaser according to the cruise schedule the sun reversed Juneau and Skagway. Any mention why?

Not officially. I was told by photo staff it was something supply related. Our pre-purchase excursion tickets were dated according to how the trip happened, so it wasn't something decided during the trip. A bus driver in Skagway said we were expected Friday instead of Thursday when we showed up, so vendors were scrambling to staff for four ships when they were scheduled to have only three.

I plan to ask tonight at the cruise director q/a or tomorrow at the captain's q/a.

Not officially. I was told by photo staff it was something supply related. Our pre-purchase excursion tickets were dated according to how the trip happened, so it wasn't something decided during the trip. A bus driver in Skagway said we were expected Friday instead of Thursday when we showed up, so vendors were scrambling to staff for four ships when they were scheduled to have only three.

I plan to ask tonight at the cruise director q/a or tomorrow at the captain's q/a.

Any info you find out will be very welcome!

We'll be on the Sun sailing NB Alaska in just over 3 weeks. I'd assumed the pools wouldn't be usable but I recently saw something on social media about the deeper pool on the Sun not being heated (and that was a complaint of the poster I think) but it implied that the other pool was?

Is that the case? Does anyone use the pools on the Norwegian Sun in Alaska? I'm bringing a bathing suit in case I'm in the mood for a hot tub but the idea of swimming is appealing if the water won't be freezing.

Thanks in advance for input!

We have done a number of Alaska cruises and rarely see the pools in use (except perhaps by kids who don't mind the chilly water). The pools are not heated, except by the sun. Hot tubs, though, always get lots of use.

We're on Sun southbound right now.

Just out of curiosity, what type of coffeemaker are in the cabins? We are in a balcony on the Sun in a few weeks....just wondering. Gotta bring my hubby's coffee on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just out of curiosity, what type of coffeemaker are in the cabins? We are in a balcony on the Sun in a few weeks....just wondering. Gotta bring my hubby's coffee on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I'm not sure. It looked like the generic small ones in mid grade hotels (Comfort, etc.)

We have done a number of Alaska cruises and rarely see the pools in use (except perhaps by kids who don't mind the chilly water). The pools are not heated, except by the sun. Hot tubs, though, always get lots of use.

We were on the Jewel last summer, and the pools appeared to be heated (steam coming off of them). There were kids in the pool daily. Adults, not so much.

• 1 year later...

This was a question in one of the informative sessions on board. The water is sea water that is heated and circulated. We just got back from Alaska and there were people in the pool daily even though the outdoor temps were in the 50's.