Anyone recently off - or on the Escape now? Internet specials?

kokopelli-az

I'd love it if someone could post a current flyer about any specials to purchase Internet while on-board the Escape.

I believe it may be a separate flyer included with Day 1 or 2 of the Freestyle Daily.

Or if unable to post the flyer, if someone could post what the incentive is to purchase an Internet package after boarding.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Can you get a different package for each device?
If you sign-up for these plans, the sign-on can be shared among different devices but used only one at a time; and is sold on day 1 or day 2 - for the duration of the cruise, whether it's 7 days or 10 days or 14 days, etc.

The streaming satellite WiFi plan is up to $35 a day - for 7 days, or $245 for the entire duration (I cannot confirm whether Latitude members get their qualifying discount, if any) ... bandwidth is dynamically managed & shared among everyone logged in, and can be throttled - most seemed to find it acceptable with speed & use, not all users agreed so YMMV.

The social media plan is very limited for covered App and text-based, no graphics ... but I am sure if you are fine with spending more, the onboard internet cafe manager can set you up and sell another package so that you can stayed connected on 2 or more devices. But, after a period of inactivity, the server will disconnect or timed out your connection, and you need to log in again to resume your session.

When ship is docked in ports and you go ashore - these connections are useless ... should you need to stay "on" at all times.

The minutes or MB data plan, NON-unlimited, is also offered and if you purchase onboard the ship on day 1 or 2, you are usually given a bonus of extra minutes or MB data ... prepaid ahead online would save you a nominal $3.95 one-time activation fee.

If you sign-up for these plans, the sign-on can be shared among different devices but used only one at a time; and is sold on day 1 or day 2 - for the duration of the cruise, whether it's 7 days or 10 days or 14 days, etc.

The streaming satellite WiFi plan is up to $35 a day - for 7 days, or $245 for the entire duration (I cannot confirm whether Latitude members get their qualifying discount, if any) ... bandwidth is dynamically managed & shared among everyone logged in, and can be throttled - most seemed to find it acceptable with speed & use, not all users agreed so YMMV.

The social media plan is very limited for covered App and text-based, no graphics ... but I am sure if you are fine with spending more, the onboard internet cafe manager can set you up and sell another package so that you can stayed connected on 2 or more devices. But, after a period of inactivity, the server will disconnect or timed out your connection, and you need to log in again to resume your session.

When ship is docked in ports and you go ashore - these connections are useless ... should you need to stay "on" at all times.

The minutes or MB data plan, NON-unlimited, is also offered and if you purchase onboard the ship on day 1 or 2, you are usually given a bonus of extra minutes or MB data ... prepaid ahead online would save you a nominal $3.95 one-time activation fee.

I'm confused...where does the "unlimited" plan that you can pre-pay for $209.93 on their web-site (under your reservation - Explore and Plan) fit in? Is it the same as the "streaming" plan? I'm sailing Saturday and was planning on buying that so I could watch a few sporting events by connecting to my Slingbox back home on Sunday.

I'm confused...where does the "unlimited" plan that you can pre-pay for $209.93 on their web-site (under your reservation - Explore and Plan) fit in? Is it the same as the "streaming" plan? I'm sailing Saturday and was planning on buying that so I could watch a few sporting events by connecting to my Slingbox back home on Sunday.

I think that the second tier unlimited plan is the one for pre sale on the website. The only choices I saw were the 100 & 250 minute metered plans and the $29.99 per day one you referenced.

That's the unlimited plan being offered for our upcoming Breakaway sailing next month, priced for 7 days & only available once we got within 60 days ... blanked out earlier, among other options. BA has not offered the newest 3-tier plan with streaming, which I believed is $34.99 per day times # of days. Refer to your sailing & look at the options once you logged in ... if you are on the Escape or GA (as NCL has yet to roll out the 3-tiers fleetwide as announced this Spring, for the summer 2017 season :rolleyes: )

BA's plan as offered now, is NOT the same as the streaming plan but it is working as reported by someone currently onboard sailing toward Bermuda ... posting mainly about the impact of "Jose" in the Hurricane Zone sub-forum yesterday as a follow-up.

As for remoting into your slingbox ... mucho good luck with latency & dynamic throttling, assuming those http ports are open & not blocked - I remained doubtful that you can cache & maintain a HD signal due to various factors associated with satellite connections ... over a shared uplink & downlink on each ship at vast distances to bounce over land towers ... eventually.

NCL's rollout of this new 3-tiered plan apppeared to hit a roadblock somehow and is currently stalled as the vendor/technology partner had "issues" ... I stand corrected as always, if this is available now for the rest of the fleet. Even for the Escape & Getaway, I've read conflicting reports about how bad the new plans were ... recently while others said it worked, but ... A case of YMMV.

Once we're within range of land-based cellular towers, I'm happy to connect to our own plan's roaming carrier for 3G and 4G data.

I think that the second tier unlimited plan is the one for pre sale on the website. The only choices I saw were the 100 & 250 minute metered plans and the $29.99 per day one you referenced.

Are these plans less expensive if purchased after boarding the ship? Specifically the $29.99 per day Ultimate Plan. (Does Ultimate mean unlimited minutes?)

Are these plans less expensive if purchased after boarding the ship? Specifically the $29.99 per day Ultimate Plan. (Does Ultimate mean unlimited minutes?)

All you save is the $3.95 activation fee. Otherwise, it's the same cost. It means unlimited minutes though.

We're on the Escape, sailing in 18 days. The ONLY plans available for pre purchase are the two per minute plans and the "unlimited" plan. According to the NCL phone rep, the only difference between the plan I bought for $29.99/day and the more expensive plan is VPN access.

Because of certain systems problems that NCL is experiencing, I cannot see my purchased plan on my account. NCL did manage to charge my business Amex and my TA can see it on our reservation.

My experience (latest fall 2015 on 7 day and fall 2016 on 13 day) has been that if you wait until you board, you can buy on the second day (7 day cruise) or on up to the fourth day (13 day) for the cost x # of days you actually have it. I usually wait until day 3 on a transatlantic to buy the package thereby saving $50. (Rates are $25 per day on longer cruises). The internet cafe will have a sign posted with the deadline on unlimited purchases. I've never paid a connection fee when purchasing unlimited plan onboard.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
I'd love it if someone could post a current flyer about any specials to purchase Internet while on-board the Escape.

I believe it may be a separate flyer included with Day 1 or 2 of the Freestyle Daily.

To follow up on this post, here are the Interest flyers from the Escape (Sept 30-Oct 7) for anyone who is interested:

289ao3o.jpg

2eyb0iu.jpg