Exercise bicycles on Silver Spirit

lchoi98

Hello,

My wife and I are boarding the Silver Spirit in 9/28 for the Venice to Rome itinerary. Does anyone know if the exercise bikes in the gym on the Spirit are SPD compatible or do the pedals just have cages?

Thanks,

Lawrence

Lawrence; unlike the spin bikes that Regent's the Voyager and Mariner have the Spirit does not have multiple indoor cycling bikes.

Tho, we have sailed on multiple Silversea and SS Spirit voyages including the maiden Spirit crossing in January 2010 we have yet to enjoy any indoor cycling classes on the Spirit, Cloud, Wind, Shadow or Whisper.

We last sailed on the Spirit last year for (Barbados to Buenos Aires) and, if I recall correctly, they have one recumbent (life fitness) bike, one upright (lifefitness) bike per fitness description last below taken off the Spirit portion of the Silversea home page.

However, the fitness center did add just one indoor spin bike in addition to the recumbent and upright bikes in the last year+. Since we did not bring our spin shoes (Ida's 23 pairs of regular shoes take up too much luggage space :), did not notice if u could clip in or not on this one bike.

Did ask Mark Conroy (now serving as Managing Director of SS (you may recall he was President of Regent from Regent's inception until Jan 2013) this week on his cruise critic Regent board chat, if Silversea planned to obtain indoor spin bikes--alas no "immediate" plans--pls see first below.

Speaking of Silversea ship fitness areas, any plans for the Muse and follow on new SS builds to have indoor cycling bikes for their fitness rooms? Believe, you could now put a half dozen spin bikes in the aerobic/yoga/Pilates rooms on board the Whisper and Shadow.

Colonelretwes@yahoo.com

Mark Conroy

Managing Director of the Americas, Silversea Cruises

~ Verified Account

26 Posts

Joined Sep 2017

Posted September 18th, 2017, 03:14 PM

Hi WesW,

Thanks for your question.

In the past, I’ll admit we haven’t done a good enough job of keeping up with current equipment in good order and periodically updating them.

I don’t believe we’ll get to the point where we’ll have multiple bikes for spinning classes, but we are in the process of replacing the current bikes aboard the ships

We’ll keep your suggestion in mind of course.

Silver Muse has the largest fitness center amongst our fleet. I’m including a photo of one of our stationary bikes for reference.

Kind regards,

Mark

The Fitness Centre on board this luxury cruise ship is equipped with free weights, weight machines, state-of-the-art treadmills, elliptical trainers and recumbent and upright bicycles. Classes in aerobics, yoga, Pilates and circuit training are led by the onboard fitness trainer and are always complimentary. Personal training, body composition analysis and specialty classes at the Fitness Centre are available at an additional charge.

Edited by WesW

Thanks Col. Wes!

That is somewhat disappointing news, but elliptical cross trainers are a reasonable substitute (I'll go out on a limb and assume that those are in the fitness center). I also hope the jogging track is rubberized. I once slipped on the Mariner's jogging track while jogging and twisted my ankle quite badly so I am now somewhat squeamish about running laps on cruise ships.

Like Wes I workout a lot both on land and at sea.

When we sailed the Spirit in early 2016 it had one spin bike.

P1010138.jpg

Here are a couple of other photos of the Fitness Center as of early 2016.

P1010114.jpg

P1010115.jpg

I like to do indoor cycling (I now instruct it as well on land) but didn't care for this one so I would workout on one of the Elliptical Machines for a few hours daily at different times. With limited Ellipticals I would get there very early before anyone else was there so I could stay on longer. Sometimes when I would go later in the day they were all in use.

I could be wrong but they didn't have bottled water in the facility. I want to say they had water in a big jug but I could be mistaken about that.

Keith

Lawrence, Keith is the fittest cruiser and fittest landlubber I know on cruise critic. He is a truly exceptional role model for staying active once you are retired, and now through his teaching (indoor cyling) he is making a strong positive difference in the fitness lives of others.

Keith, you remember correctly; Spirit just has a water cooler type device that dispenses cups of water (hot or cold). Work around we used was to always bring a bottle water from our suite fridge or borrowed one from the outdoor jogging track water cooler prior to heading for the fitness room.

On the Silver Wind this July (Norway voyage), the Spa provided bottled water when the Spa opened (7a.m -8pm). Wish the Spirit Spa would provide a similar service--in fact--now that I think of it, will email Mark Conroy (Managing Director of SS in the Americas) and suggest this.

Lawrence, since the Spirit fitness room does get crowded after 7am and late afternoon (4-6pm) we also would go early (between 5:30 -7am),and then again after 6pm (when most guests are changing/getting ready for dinner) we enjoy having dinner after 8pm.

Finally, having run at least 500 miles on the Spirit's jogging track over eight cruises (generally from 5am to 6a.m, then again in the evening) have not slipped once (even go up/down each Deck 10 to Deck 9 stairwell-- 236 steps for each lap) to relieve the boredom of behaving like a hamster on a wheel while jogging at sea :)

Best, Wes

ps..we are doing INCAS with the TA's group on the Mariner in Jan/Feb and we absolutely look forward to spinning as often as the fitness instructor offers classes.

pss. a shout out to Keith who back in early 2010 gently urged me to try indoor cycling/spinning. Keith's recommendation has led Ida and I to becoming spin "addicts."

Wes, you are very kind.

Anne Marie and I are still hoping that we will be on the same cruise with you and Ida sometime in the future.

If it was one with a few spin bikes we could have our own special workout. :)

I always bring my cycling playlists with me.

Keith

Keith, you remember correctly; Spirit just has a water cooler type device that dispenses cups of water (hot or cold). Work around we used was to always bring a bottle water from our suite fridge or borrowed one from the outdoor jogging track water cooler prior to heading for the fitness room.

Lawrence, since the Spirit fitness room does get crowded after 7am and late afternoon (4-6pm) we also would go early (between 5:30 -7am),and then again after 6pm (when most guests are changing/getting ready for dinner) we enjoy having dinner after 8pm.

This is great advice! Thank you!

ps..we are doing INCAS with the TA's group on the Mariner in Jan/Feb and we absolutely look forward to spinning as often as the fitness instructor offers classes.

That is a great itinerary and even better group of people on INCAS. Looked into it, but just couldn't make the timing work.

This Spirit itinerary actually marks my return to cruising after a 3 year hiatus. It's also my first time on Silversea so I'm very curious to compare it to Regent and Seabourn. Given that I found Regent and Seabourn to be virtually identical (e.g., kept referring to the Colonnade as La Veranda), I expect the same great experience on Silversea.

Lawrence, Keith is the fittest cruiser and fittest landlubber I know on cruise critic. He is a truly exceptional role model for staying active once you are retired, and now through his teaching (indoor cyling) he is making a strong positive difference in the fitness lives of others.

pss. a shout out to Keith who back in early 2010 gently urged me to try indoor cycling/spinning. Keith's recommendation has led Ida and I to becoming spin "addicts."

Keith, that is so great! Major kudos for helping others reach their fitness potential.

Keith, Ida and I also would love to synch cruise dance cards with Anne Marie and you.

If you ever listen to the BBC Radio's Boston Calling with Marco Werman (listen to this every Sunday 6:30 am here in ATL) today's show had Marco

on board the Crystal Serenty for the Northwest Passage, pls see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cstwsw

Mark Conroy (Managing Director of the Americas for SS) during his cruise critic chat earlier this week, answered a NWP ? saying SS plans to offer the NWP on the Silver Cloud in 2019/2020. We may consider if the Cloud Expedition's maiden season (beginning mid November) brings positive reviews of daytime (expedition/zodiac landings) and evening activities.

Laurence--you are welcome. Do hope y'all have a terrific Silver Spirit voyage. Hope you get to chance to post either during or after your voyage.

We just booked the Spirit fall crossing for 2018 today.

Yes Lawrence we booked today. Ida and I relished this crossing itinerary (we have only been to Cobh) vs the typical Lisbon/Barcelona to FLL crossing itineraries (which we have done more than a half dozen times).

Lawrence, the thread started by etual324 asking about the Muse cruise sales led to a few posters talking about doing another cruise critic group crossing together. In November 2013 our TA sponsored a lunch (I coordinated with the Spirit XChef, F&B Mgr, and Head Sommelier) for about 20+ clients. Our TA generously paid for over $2500 of fine wine pairings and needless to say we all had a terrific time. Now, spinnaker2 (Candy and Larry), EnglishUSA (David--u probably remember from the other board, he is now a client with our TA), and a few others are booked on this crossing. Please consider joining us, u can make an on boardThe booking when you board the Spirit later this month and join us on this Spirit, September 2018 crossing or do u have this voyage already booked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regarding bottled water in Spirit's fitness center---when the ship was new, there was a fridge with bottled water in the fitness center. Now there is some kind of water dispenser where the water is never cold enough; you drink from small plastic cups.

While on board last year, I complained that the fridge and bottled water were gone and the Hotel Manager directed me to the Spa Manager, who is apparently in charge of this.

It seems that the Spa Manager had relocated the fridge into the spa waiting room and said if I wanted bottled water, it was available there. That did not make me happy as it appears they moved the fridge just to make it more convenient for the spa workers to get their bottled water instead of walking around to the fitness center.

A few months ago I was on Shadow for 14 days and they still have the fridge in the fitness center, but they no longer stock it and it just sits there turned off and empty. When I enquired all they would tell me was they no longer provide bottled water in the fitness center as it is available elsewhere or I should just bring it with me from my suite. Huh?

Yes Lawrence we booked today. Ida and I relished this crossing itinerary (we have only been to Cobh) vs the typical Lisbon/Barcelona to FLL crossing itineraries (which we have done more than a half dozen times).

Lawrence, the thread started by etual324 asking about the Muse cruise sales led to a few posters talking about doing another cruise critic group crossing together. In November 2013 our TA sponsored a lunch (I coordinated with the Spirit XChef, F&B Mgr, and Head Sommelier) for about 20+ clients. Our TA generously paid for over $2500 of fine wine pairings and needless to say we all had a terrific time. Now, spinnaker2 (Candy and Larry), EnglishUSA (David--u probably remember from the other board, he is now a client with our TA), and a few others are booked on this crossing. Please consider joining us, u can make an on boardThe booking when you board the Spirit later this month and join us on this Spirit, September 2018 crossing or do u have this voyage already booked.

Wes, Sorry for the delayed response. Have been in Venice since Monday with minimal connectivity (my wife has it because of work and I deliberately don't have it because of work). We are seriously looking at this itinerary. I wonder if we can get critical mass so our TA can make it a hosted cruise.

Btw, love Silversea. I am a Regent guy going back to Diamond/Song of Flower, but Silversea really does capture that essence Radisson Seven Seas used to have even on a ship as big as the Spirit. Embarked today and the staff already knows our preferrred cocktails even though they are esoteric.

Lawrence

Good Thursday Eve (here in ATL) Lawrence, happy to hear y'all are safely on board the terrific warm Silver Spirit embrace. Moreover, would be fantastic if y'all booked the Amplified spirit fall crossing.

Tho, we were on Kiwi with your TA this Feb, and will be on Incas in Jan 2018, and again on the Mariner with her group in March 2019, we now have used another TA since 2011. Have kept cordial relations with one of your TA's super staff. Our TA even took Susan W to a Rolling Stones concert in Dallas.

Long story shorter, your TA is now planning a Silver Muse group cruise (paired with a Crystal river cruise) maybe u can convince her, or to have her task one of her staff to host the Spirit fall 2018 crossing.

Wes, thank you for the link to the BBC for the NWP. I will be sure to check that out.

On our Spirit cruise I was very happy that I was able to get into the Fitness Center anytime as I like to get a workout very early in the AM before others get there. The reason being is I prefer to workout on the Elliptical Machine for about 90 minutes but if someone is waiting for its use I will be off in 30 minutes so by getting there before others I can stay on longer. So that was a nice plus.

nfcu, appreciate the background about the fridge on Spirit and on Shadow. When we sailed Shadow I had remember bottled water so my recollection about that one is correct as we sailed it back in 2009. Sorry to hear about water not being stocked in the refrigerator in the fitness room on board Shadow. When I am on the elliptical for 90 minutes I need to go through two bottles of water.

One thing we learn is that when you are teaching cardio workout is to remind everyone about hydration particularly since these workout cause most people to lose a lot of water by sweating. We tell people not to wait until you are thirsty. I am pretty sensitive about this having had issues many years ago with dehydration and also having seen a couple of people who either passed out or were close to passing out and working out and as best the medics could figure out lack of water was a factor.

Keith

Keith, you are spot on concerning hydration. And bottled water is the only practical solution while using exercise equipment. Water in a plastic cup, as on Silver Spirit, is not practical while using a treadmill or any other piece of exercise equipment. Why Silversea does not see nor care about this is a mystery to me.

Good Thursday Eve (here in ATL) Lawrence, happy to hear y'all are safely on board the terrific warm Silver Spirit embrace. Moreover, would be fantastic if y'all booked the Amplified spirit fall crossing.

Tho, we were on Kiwi with your TA this Feb, and will be on Incas in Jan 2018, and again on the Mariner with her group in March 2019, we now have used another TA since 2011. Have kept cordial relations with one of your TA's super staff. Our TA even took Susan W to a Rolling Stones concert in Dallas.

Long story shorter, your TA is now planning a Silver Muse group cruise (paired with a Crystal river cruise) maybe u can convince her, or to have her task one of her staff to host the Spirit fall 2018 crossing.

Hi Wes,

Laura and I are loving every second on the Spirit. Will post some thoughts here when I get a chance. Seriously reconsidering shifting from Regent to Silversea although it is hard to give up Gold benefits especially the laundry and free unlimited premium wifi.

Quick question. What do you think the weather will be like on the London to NYC crossing? Laura is worried that it might be too cold to enjoy the outdoor areas on deck and of course the suite balcony. I know the weather can be unpredictable on that route but any "rule of thumb" guesstimate would be enormously helpful. Would use onboard booking and Venetian Society if available on this sailing.

Thanks!

Lawrence

Keith, you are spot on concerning hydration. And bottled water is the only practical solution while using exercise equipment. Water in a plastic cup, as on Silver Spirit, is not practical while using a treadmill or any other piece of exercise equipment. Why Silversea does not see nor care about this is a mystery to me.

Agree 100%. Will use the gym tomorrow. Hopefully this situation had been addressed. Will report back.

There's plenty of bottled water available in the gym on the Spirit in addition to the larger bottle with plastic cups. Quality of gym equipment is very mediocre. The "exercise bikes" are particularly lame.

Thanks for the update. Maybe they did finally listen to all the complaints.