Just off Spirit 10My W. Med

need2cruise

Why were you "disappointed in NCL product"?

Not happy with the food...I know food tastes are subjective but felt quality of food was way below compared to other cruise lines...didn't like nickel and dime especially 7.95 room service charge....drink prices are ridiculous...cabin steward just was ok...forgot little things....overall it was an ok cruise....entertainment was very good....service in main dining room very inconsistent....ship was nice and clean...

Well, even though you were disappointed in the NCL product, it's good to know that at least the cruise itself was okay.

You do realize, don't you, that some of the other cruise lines are also incorporating a cabin service charge. I hope you realized while aboard that the complimentary continental breakfast has no service charge.

Thank you for answering my question.

That is too bad. The spirit med cruise was one of our favorites! The itinerary was second to none when we sailed.

We have sailed several different lines and feel they are more similar then different. I think the nickel and diming phrase seams to be targeted at NCL but we have had the same charges on celebrity and royal. We can't even think of purchasing the beverage pkg on carnival Vista!! Over 900.$.

Food is subjective and I'm on day 6 of my Spirit cruise. The breakfast has been excellent at the buffet and disappointing in the MDR. Lunch at the buffet has been similar to my last 4 cruises. Dinner in the MDR has actually exceeded my expectations but that's because I read too many reviews The buffet was disappointing at dinner as it was good on our previous NCL cruises.

I've adjusted and meals will be fine for the remainder of the cruise.

I'm disappointed that no one has tried to sell me anything but photo ops. I must be dressing to casual

My

Food is subjective and I'm on day 6 of my Spirit cruise. The breakfast has been excellent at the buffet and disappointing in the MDR. Lunch at the buffet has been similar to my last 4 cruises. Dinner in the MDR has actually exceeded my expectations but that's because I read too many reviews �� The buffet was disappointing at dinner as it was good on our previous NCL cruises.

I've adjusted and meals will be fine for the remainder of the cruise.

I'm disappointed that no one has tried to sell me anything but photo ops. I must be dressing to casual ��

My main problem with the breakfast buffet was getting real butter....lol:D:D....hated that butter delight they put out....I like the real presidente butter even had hard time getting it for dinner bread...I know it minor but it was one of the little things that added up to my NCL disappointment....but the itinerary was awesome....what do you think of the pizza on the buffet?

My

My main problem with the breakfast buffet was getting real butter....lol:D:D....hated that butter delight they put out....I like the real presidente butter even had hard time getting it for dinner bread...I know it minor but it was one of the little things that added up to my NCL disappointment....but the itinerary was awesome....what do you think of the pizza on the buffet?

I don't use butter and have avoided the pizza. I'll save my pizza binge for Naples.

I think you can ask for real butter from a server.

of course you knew when you posted mostly you would be getting answers from those of us that do not totally agree with you. I wonder how long it has been since you cruised: Other lines are adding room service fees as well: Most everyone that drinks much at all opts for the drink package or UBP as one of their promo perks and as for food, it is subjective. We happen to think the food is pretty much like most lines with the buffet being a 1/2 step up from some, but we are not huge buffet eaters. We love the many dining options available on NCL. I will agree, in our opinion service in the MDR can be very spotty and not using real butter: not acceptable to us. I am glad you still enjoyed your cruise. There are reasons we have so many cruise choices; what line works for one of us, does not for others. For us, it happens to be Princess that we stay away from;)

That is too bad. The spirit med cruise was one of our favorites! The itinerary was second to none when we sailed.

We have sailed several different lines and feel they are more similar then different. I think the nickel and diming phrase seams to be targeted at NCL but we have had the same charges on celebrity and royal. We can't even think of purchasing the beverage pkg on carnival Vista!! Over 900.$.

Our granddaughter and hubby did RCI not to long ago: there biggest complaint was nickel and diming. I have never felt that way on NCL. Don't want it, don't take it. And I also do not think the drink prices are very different from other lines. They were a little less on Princess the last time we sailed. Drinks are just out of line period anymore. .DRinkiwailrithin

Our granddaughter and hubby did RCI not to long ago: there biggest complaint was nickel and diming. I have never felt that way on NCL. Don't want it, don't take it. And I also do not think the drink prices are very different from other lines. They were a little less on Princess the last time we sailed. Drinks are just out of line period anymore. .DRinkiwailrithin

Just so you know....we cruise quite often...and I know most cruise lines are getting into the nickel and dining...drinks across all lines seem to be going into the stratosphere...although I will say Holland America this past march drinks were less expensive compared to royal and NCL...my statement about any questions was if anyone wanted to know any particulars about the Spirit....but its true thankfully there are choices...after experiencing NCL Spirit and not having sailed NCL for awhile it probably won't be my line of choice...maybe one of newer ships may be a different experience...like I said it was a good cruise especially if you were a first time cruiser ...just not up to past cruise experiences

of course you knew when you posted mostly you would be getting answers from those of us that do not totally agree with you. I wonder how long it has been since you cruised: Other lines are adding room service fees as well: Most everyone that drinks much at all opts for the drink package or UBP as one of their promo perks and as for food, it is subjective. We happen to think the food is pretty much like most lines with the buffet being a 1/2 step up from some, but we are not huge buffet eaters. We love the many dining options available on NCL. I will agree, in our opinion service in the MDR can be very spotty and not using real butter: not acceptable to us. I am glad you still enjoyed your cruise. There are reasons we have so many cruise choices; what line works for one of us, does not for others. For us, it happens to be Princess that we stay away from;)

I am curious as to why you stay away from princess...would love to hear why...

I am curious as to why you stay away from princess...would love to hear why...

Sure, I will qualify this by saying it has been about 3 years since we cruised them last: have been on them 3 times. The less than positive for us has been: 1-overall guests. For whatever reason all 3 times they have seemed to be very defensive if Princess is their cruise of choice. I know this is something we all our guilty of, certainly I fall into that category, but Princess loyalists seem to border on being rude if one doesn't agree with the perfectness of the Princess. 2-we found those working behind the reception desk to be rude in some cases: 3-formal optional isn't that at all. If you are not dressed to kill, you would feel out of place. Even at the buffet there were men in Tux and gals in after 5 attire. This may not bother all of us, but it did us. 4-we did not like the way "personal choice" dining worked. It seemed all the tables were for 6 or more and we spent every night introducing ourselves plus the service, especially at breakfast was less than perfect. NCL can be slow, but Princess was worse. One time I got my breakfast after everyone else was finished. I would have asked where it was, but I couldn't get anyone's attention. Thus we are not left with love for Princess. I know others think they are top notch. That is why we have choices, thank goodness.

Just back from 10 day western med cruise on NCL Spirit. Our 4th cruise and certainly one of our best and most enjoyable. Never had a bad meal, on the contrary they were mostly quite memorable. The cruise itself was great with 10 ports in 10 days which suited us perfectly. The little we needed the staff for any reason we found them friendly and helpful. We were on the drinks package and had an ample sufficiency without touching our budget. Despite hearing about problems in the Spirit cabins before our cruise we had no problems at all. We loved the small size of the ship and enjoyed the forward and aft bar and lounging areas. The three shows we attended were very professional.

Shows you cannot satisfy everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Not happy with the food...I know food tastes are subjective but felt quality of food was way below compared to other cruise lines...didn't like nickel and dime especially 7.95 room service charge....drink prices are ridiculous...cabin steward just was ok...forgot little things....overall it was an ok cruise....entertainment was very good....service in main dining room very inconsistent....ship was nice and clean...

I have been cruising since the 1980's with several different cruise lines and I will be on my first NCL cruise since 1991 in 25 days. I can tell you that the nickel and diming and the room service charge for hot foods is cruiseline wide. As you say, food is subjective. The cruise lines have not increased the base prices much but have found other ways to make a profit - they are running a business after all. We have accepted this and will continue to cruise. Service on any line or even ship to ship on the same line may be inconsistent because it trickles down from the Hotel Manager. So perhaps your impressions should be about the Spirit and not the NCL product as a whole?

Gail

Hi,

For those just back from Spirit, what was entertainment like ? Was there anything on in Henry's pub like singers,karaoke etc and were shows good. We are on in January so maybe inside a bit more than in Summer

I felt that the entertainment was very good...production shows and headliner acts...unfortunately missed crew talent show but others said it was very good....didn't see much in Henry's pub ...the couple times I stopped in there few people and no entertainment...really nice pub though

Hi,

For those just back from Spirit, what was entertainment like ? Was there anything on in Henry's pub like singers,karaoke etc and were shows good. We are on in January so maybe inside a bit more than in Summer

Truth be told, this is the first cruise that I’ve been on where I saw very little of the shows in the stardust theatre. I was there 9 of 11 nights but only stayed awake through out for 2 of them. 😀 Some shows were mediocre and I guess I was tired on some nights.

The only “happening” place was the “galaxy of the stars” lounge where “Souled Out” performed nightly. They were a band that played a lot of pop, easy listening, and Motown.

I was on the 11 night Med cruise on the Spirit in April 2017 with my friend. I hadn't been on NCL for 19 years, but I've cruised for 43 years, and usually 2 times a year.

We agreed our cruise was fantastic. We had 5 specialty dining nights included in our promo price of the cruise. For $18 each in gratuities we agreed it was an amazing deal, and the food excellent. The remainder of the nights in the main dining room were equally as good, just not the upgraded cuisine. I thought the food was just as good as RCCL, Celebrity, HAL, and Princess.

The 11 night itinerary from Barcelona to Venice is one of the best I've ever been on, and I've cruised the Med 3 times before. Ending in Venice with an additional night added was great.

Our cabin on deck 4 mid-ship was steps away from the embarkation area, so we had no complaints about that, either!

Loved the ship, loved the crew, LOVED the itinerary, loved the Prosecco during sail away almost every night in the upper lounge.

I am so accustomed to cruising that I don't register anything as nickel-and-diming. It's all a part of the cruise price. NCL was MUCH lower priced than the competition, and with the specialty dining and shore excursion freebies included, we thought our cruise was one of the best.

• 2 weeks later...