Is this cruise trip I cursed? Car rental questions...

PinkFloydActuary

So...I was reading here about what side of the airplane to sit on to fly in to Anchorage and wanted to verify what side I actually was on. When logging into the Alaska Airlines website, I learned they moved my flight up by two hours...I guess I'm used to any other airline sending me a notification that had happened, and I know I'm six months out - but at least this taught me that I will need to keep an eye on flight times myself.

With the new flight time, I needed to change my car rental pick-up. I went to the Avis Alaska website, punched in my confirmation number and name - screen pops up that they don't have a record of it :( Tried the Skagway one for later in the trip - same issue. Now I'm feeling nauseous. I sent them an e-mail last night, didn't hear anything yet, but as of this morning, both reservations are back in the system, so maybe they had their servers down or something last night. Still need to fix my arrival reservation.

In the meantime, while looking for thoughts on Avis Alaska here, I learn the Juneau downtown Avis is now closed and in limbo. As you can probably guess, I have a reservation here as well, and this closure was news to me. I probably will see what Juneau Car Rental has to offer in case they don't get their act together.

So the question (outside of what next?) - since I need to rebook my Anchorage rental, have people found more/the same/fewer issues going through mother AVIS vs. AVIS Alaska? I'm not sure of the relationship between the two...

Is am dealing with the EXACT same issue.

To answer your question about Avis vs. Avis Alaska. In my experience, you can't make a reservation for Alaska on the general Avis website....it's Avis Alaska or nothing. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me....it's been such a struggle to get the Avis reservation.

I did finally get one...by calling and emailing them several times - spoke to Maurico. The more I talk to him though, the more apprehensive I become. Their website (Avis Alaska) actually says they charge per mile...from the FIRST mile! Maurico assured me that they don't...but I tend to believe what's 'in writing' over what someone tells me on the phone or in an email (which I have found does NOT constitute "in writing"... ugh)

There is public transit to the Airport Avis location, but it would take an hour to get there with all the stops...ugh

They ARE saying that they will reopen the downtown location when the hotel finishes it's remodel. It seems to me that it would be most advantageous for them to finish that before the tourist season, but of course, what do I know? :D

I have been talking to Juneau Car Rental too. They can beat the Avis AAA rate by $30. Even with older/higher mileage cars, that may be worth it....

Then...the clincher....I found out that they are a mile from what Google calls the "Cruise Ship Terminal". What I'm now trying to find out is if there's public transit there? Where Princess docks?? (some docks can be 1/4 mi from each other) etc... to know how difficult it's going to be to get to THEIR location....

Juneau is proving to be the most difficult port to plan for (and I am an admitted suffered of OCRD (Obsessive Cruise Research Disorder) :eek:

Bottom line: Getting a rental car anywhere in Juneau is going to require some finagling... and take up some valuable time...

The shuttle/public bus is looking more and more attractive.... ;)

Edited by rgmacm

Is am dealing with the EXACT same issue.

To answer your question about Avis vs. Avis Alaska. In my experience, you can't make a reservation for Alaska on the general Avis website....it's Avis Alaska or nothing. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me....it's been such a struggle to get the Avis reservation.

I did finally get one...by calling and emailing them several times - spoke to Maurico. The more I talk to him though, the more apprehensive I become. Their website (Avis Alaska) actually says they charge per mile...from the FIRST mile! Maurico assured me that they don't...but I tend to believe what's 'in writing' over what someone tells me on the phone or in an email (which I have found does NOT constitute "in writing"... ugh)

There is public transit to the Airport Avis location, but it would take an hour to get there with all the stops...ugh

They ARE saying that they will reopen the downtown location when the hotel finishes it's remodel. It seems to me that it would be most advantageous for them to finish that before the tourist season, but of course, what do I know? :D

I have been talking to Juneau Car Rental too. They can beat the Avis AAA rate by $30. Even with older/higher mileage cars, that may be worth it....

Then...the clincher....I found out that they are a mile from what Google calls the "Cruise Ship Terminal". What I'm now trying to find out is if there's public transit there? Where Princess docks?? (some docks can be 1/4 mi from each other) etc... to know how difficult it's going to be to get to THEIR location....

Juneau is proving to be the most difficult port to plan for (and I am an admitted suffered of OCRD (Obsessive Cruise Research Disorder) :eek:

Bottom line: Getting a rental car anywhere in Juneau is going to require some finagling... and take up some valuable time...

The shuttle/public bus is looking more and more attractive.... ;)

Your post is confusing with multiple rentals.

As for Juneau Car Rental. There is only "transportation" from the tram parking lot- IF there is a ship at the AJ dock. So- first verify the port schedules when they come out. Otherwise, there is no "public" transportation except for cabs. Princess does use the South Franklin dock, verify your schedule- which is walkable- with no mobility limitations, allow at least 20 minutes. Some up and down hills as well.

• 4 months later...

Hopefully this catches you before you head to Anchorage. You asked about car rental in Anchorage. I would give Midnight Sun Car and Van Rental a call. Just finished a 5 day DIY land tour starting in Whittier, with a drop off in Anchorage. Their rates were very competitive with Avis. Their customer service is jaw dropping. We had a couple of (self-inflicted) issues crop up, and Midnight Sun came to the rescue both times. Highly recommend giving them a call and let them work for you.

We rented from AVIS in Anchorage at the airport. My issue was that i had booked it (months ago) thru expedia, not direct with Avis Anchorage. They had a heck of a time finding the reservation. I was pretty worried but they eventually did get us a car. If I were to do it again I would book directly with Avis Anchorage.