Question regarding Elite and Platinum status

sunneesmile

If a Platinum or Elite status Princess passenger has made a booking for a cruise along with a party that is not either status, can they all embark and disembark board together? The rules for Captain's Circle/Platinum say this:

Platinum Preferred Check-In

When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. If you are a Platinum member, you and your family or guests will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

From past experience, if a platinum or Elite passenger is traveling with say a spouse and children, then they will allow all to board with priority status. But if there is one platinum or Elite with a group, then it is best that the one person joins the group in the regular check in line instead of the other way around.

And, depending on the cruise, sometimes the regular lines are even shorter than the priority lines for Platinum and Elite.

Disembarking at the end of the voyage is not a problem since all will be able to obtain the same color/number for that last day by visiting the pursers desk and just asking for it.

Just returned 5 days ago from the Golden. We are lowly gold level, while our travel-mates, my parents, are elite. We were able to embark/disembark with them, as well as wait for disembarkment in the elite/platinum waiting area (the traditional dining room). We did not tender, but I'm sure we would've been able to use priority tender embarkment.

Just returned 5 days ago from the Golden. We are lowly gold level, while our travel-mates, my parents, are elite. We were able to embark/disembark with them, as well as wait for disembarkment in the elite/platinum waiting area (the traditional dining room). We did not tender, but I'm sure we would've been able to use priority tender embarkment.

That's not always true. A couple of cruises ago the lady at the door was checking everyone's card to make sure the were entitled to use the lounge even though we were a large group of platinum and elites. However, its also gone the other way. My brother was a first timer and they allowed him to join us. I think its the luck of the draw. I doubt you'd be able to use the priority tender either as they issue tickets (or some say show their black card) for that and would only issue as many tickets as people staying in that room. If they allowed everyone to get the priority tender for knowing someone then there would be an abuse of the system.

Caveat, Disclaimer, whatever you want to call it:

Please do not yell at me for stating my opinion in my post. I'm not posting it so it can be dissected and analyzed. I'm here for fun. Thank you. :):D

___________________________________________________________________________________

I like the Caveat, Disclaimer.......

That's not always true. A couple of cruises ago the lady at the door was checking everyone's card to make sure the were entitled to use the lounge even though we were a large group of platinum and elites. However, its also gone the other way. My brother was a first timer and they allowed him to join us. I think its the luck of the draw. I doubt you'd be able to use the priority tender either as they issue tickets (or some say show their black card) for that and would only issue as many tickets as people staying in that room. If they allowed everyone to get the priority tender for knowing someone then there would be an abuse of the system.

I agree with this. It all depends on who is stationed at the doors whether they allow those non-platinum/elite members in for both embarking, disembarking (lounge) or for priority tenders.

If you are a family with children traveling together, you will be able to embark together. However, if there is just one Platinum/Elite in a group of 6 - 8 people, then you probably won't. Also, if those who aren't Platinum/Elite are adults and don't need assistance, then you don't really need to embark with your parents.

FYI, the last two cruises I've been on, no more Priority tender tickets for Elite. You just show your black card to disembark.

FYI, the last two cruises I've been on, no more Priority tender tickets for Elite. You just show your black card to disembark.

I think it might be a little different for full suites though pam. Although we no longer receive the priority tender tickets and all we need is our black card to get on the tender, last full suite, we were given the priority tender tickets PLUS a few extra with a note saying if friends would like to embark with us, these were for them. Now, not sure if this is still done, but it was a couple of years ago.

That's not always true....

....If they allowed everyone to get the priority tender for knowing someone then there would be an abuse of the system.

You could be correct. As I said, we did not tender, so I can't really speak to that. However, our reservations were "linked" and my parents purchased all 4 fares (the two of them and myself and hubby). It's not just "knowing someone" on the ship who is elite. But that's splitting hairs.

Caveat, Disclaimer, whatever you want to call it:

Please do not yell at me for stating my opinion in my post. I'm not posting it so it can be dissected and analyzed. I'm here for fun. Thank you. :):D

___________________________________________________________________________________

I like the Caveat, Disclaimer.......

Thank you!! I found it to be necessary awhile back when someone did just that to me. I've seen it too much here. We're here for information and fun, not arguing and nit-picking.

..... if those who aren't Platinum/Elite are adults and don't need assistance, then you don't really need to embark with your parents.

Just speaking for our group, not the OP - the 4 of us drove up from Portland, so we did need to get off together. My parents are 80ish and I don't think they would've remembered where the car was! LOL.

I think it might be a little different for full suites though pam. Although we no longer receive the priority tender tickets and all we need is our black card to get on the tender, last full suite, we were given the priority tender tickets PLUS a few extra with a note saying if friends would like to embark with us, these were for them. Now, not sure if this is still done, but it was a couple of years ago.

That was the case with us last February and we are not elite. There were 4 tickets in the suite and just the two of us.

Mike:)

Just speaking for our group, not the OP - the 4 of us drove up from Portland, so we did need to get off together. My parents are 80ish and I don't think they would've remembered where the car was! LOL.

I also LOVE your disclaimer....sometimes people get a little testy on the boards. ;)

We're Elite status & on one of our cruises about a year ago we had our priority tender tickets & as we approached the stairway we were told that we couldn't board until all the tours had completely boarded. Since we weren't in a real hurry that morning, we waited, but if I had a scheduled tour I would have forced the issue.

We had tender tickets on the Royal Princess last November but in April, no tender tickets so it's possible that it's a more recent change. We had no tender ports on our very recent Baltic cruise.

Passengers in their 80s would or should definitely receive assistance and early embarkation.

I'll post a review soon but for our disembarkation Tuesday from the Crown Princess, we had a 4AM disembarkation time for transfer to the airport. Most of the passengers for that disembarkation time were told they'd have to haul their own luggage off (regardless of age or ability) but fortunately, we didn't get that memo and put our luggage out the night before and picked it up on the pier. It was horrible watching some very elderly people struggling with their luggage, particularly going over the gangway, without any assistance whatsoever. I'll post details but it was the most screwed up disembarkation I've ever experienced on any cruiseline.

We are listed as Platinum on our cruise information for our next Princess cruise in September . I can't seem to locate an actual Princess platinum card.

I was wondering if we are supposed to actually have a Platinum card in our hands?

We are listed as Platinum on our cruise information for our next Princess cruise in September . I can't seem to locate an actual Princess platinum card.

I was wondering if we are supposed to actually have a Platinum card in our hands?

a) Your cruise card will be the correct Platinum color. You can use that, not your membership card to get into the lounge at the end

b) If you do not have your platinum membership card, you can ask the Captain's Circle rep on board to have a one made for you.

Are you referring an actual membership card? I haven't a clue as to where mine is (Elite). When you check in at the port, your room key/card will be platinum colored as will your names outside your cabin door.

Pia

Platinum Preferred Check-In

When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. If you are a Platinum member, you and your family or guests will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

Taken from princess website: I must say I thought this means anyone travelling with you (Elite) are able to board with you. If that's not a correct interpretation as many are saying, I wonder what Princess is trying to say. We are cruising with family (3 total cabins including us) and we are only elite pax. Was planning for all to board with us but now, it seems I was misinterpreting the above statement.

What does Princess mean by that statement if not the whole party boards together?

We just got off Sun Princess less then 3 weeks ago, and upon arrival in cabin from embarkation there were plenty of priority tender tickets. So they are still being issued. Would you believe in the Elite/Platinum disembarkation lounge -vista lounge..there were only 12 people? From my observations of the blue cruise cards of the 2014 pax on Sun Princess, 90% of pax were 'virgin cruisers.' Many Aussies are now experiencing their first cruise and no doubt will be addicted.

Cheers..Les:cool:

We just got off Sun Princess less then 3 weeks ago, and upon arrival in cabin from embarkation there were plenty of priority tender tickets. So they are still being issued. Would you believe in the Elite/Platinum disembarkation lounge -vista lounge..there were only 12 people? From my observations of the blue cruise cards of the 2014 pax on Sun Princess, 90% of pax were 'virgin cruisers.' Many Aussies are now experiencing their first cruise and no doubt will be addicted.

WOW! I should have been on that one. Perhaps I'd have made it into the top three; maybe even first. :D Hope you had a good cruise.

Pia

Thanks Pia913, yes with only 180 days we even made it to the most travelled luncheon, with the Capt and senior staff, where they take the top 40 cruisers. We were sat with the CD, Sammi, yes Sammi is a talker, an entertainer for sure. Now we would never have made the lunch on a normal Princess ship, with the multitude of black cards on board.

Archived