Taking travel kettle on board?

susieh

I am travelling on Infinity in July (Alaska cruise) and plan to take a travel kettle as the American cruises dont have tea making facilities in the cabin (ex UK cruises do have those facilities).

Does anyone know if it will be confiscated?

If found, it possibly could be taken away. There is no way of knowing ahead of time what might or might not happen -- they spot check the baggage and your luggage may be chose. Or it might not. As a back up, hot water is available 24 hours in the buffet or from room service.

See the following from the Celebrity web site

Guest Conduct Policy or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy. Prohibited Items Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard.

Based on this, I believe that an electric tea kettle, which contains a "heating element", is not allowed. If they find it in your luggage, it will be taken and returned at the end of the cruise. When I was on the Mercury in December, there was a table as you left the ship containing all the items they had confiscated. Included were fans, hot plates, electric pots, etc.

I recently took a small kettle with me on our last cruise (RCI not X) and didn't have it confiscated. It was one that shuts off automatically when it boils so there was no danger of it overheating or boiling dry. I left it in plain sight of the cabin steward and she never mentioned them not being allowed. I actually didn't end up using it more than once as room service would bring a large thermos of boiling water to the cabin. I did take and use my own teabags as I really don't like the brands most ships carry.

I am travelling on Infinity in July (Alaska cruise) and plan to take a travel kettle as the American cruises dont have tea making facilities in the cabin (ex UK cruises do have those facilities).

We brought a coffee press with us on our last cruise. We ordered a large thermos of hot water from room service every morning, and it was usually there within 5-10 minutes as long as we didn't order other food items with it. The water that came was VERY hot and would be fine for making tea as well. ( we also ordered the hot water some afternoons for making tea in our room...) You could eliminate the worry of packing a tea kettle and just order from room service. As one other poster said, though, you might want to bring the tea you prefer to drink.

Have a great trip!

Edited by Cruiser Susie

:eek:Can you understand "FIRE HAZARD?"

if I can't take anything with a heating element I can't take my hair straighteners either....

And I ask why they put kettles in the cabins on cruises out of the UK if they consider they are such a hazard :confused:

if I can't take anything with a heating element I can't take my hair straighteners either....

And I ask why they put kettles in the cabins on cruises out of the UK if they consider they are such a hazard :confused:

First, let me start by saying that I am all for safety. I am not looking to put anyone in danger, including myself.

That being said, Celebrity's inconsistent policy is quite confusing. I definitely understand the ban against irons. Allowing an appliance onboard that passengers use to apply heat to fabric is definitely a hazard. However, to ban handheld steamers and yet, allow curling irons and other beauty products that use "heat" makes no sense. It's makes even less sense when Celebrity actually places tea kettles in the staterooms on their European itinerary.

I'm with those who say, what's up with the inconsistent policy. If something is ok on a European itinerary, why is it not ok on the other itineraries.

I used to do teacher training. I told my teachers-to-be to have very few rules for their classrooms but when they have rules, state them clearly and enforce them fairly. Seems like corporations, Celebrity in this case, should heed this.

For instance, don't state "two bottles of wine allowed" state "two 750-ml bottles of wine allowed" and in this case, state which items are banned and be consistent.

That being said, the OP asked, would their kettle be confiscated, and right now, my answer remains, if they find it, they will likely take it, and no cries of "that's not fair, other people get to take theirs" will sway them.

A kettle is on the prohibited list and it may be confiscated. Better not to be caught with one.

I'm guessing the reason is that Celebrity know exactly what appliance they are putting in the cabin and have had that safety aspect approved for use in the European market. Obviously they don't know the integrity of such appliance brought onboard by a passenger.

You call room service for some hot water or bring a metal thermos and get some at the buffet.

It would be nice if they had kettles in the cabins on all cruises, not just ones from the UK. "Hot" water from room service or even the buffet is seldom hot enough (ie still boiling) to make decent tea.

Edited by lisiamc

• 6 years later...

First time Celebrity cruiser here. I'm doing the South Pacific on the solstice. Anyone know how accessible hot water is (other than calling room service) I have a bad back and would need some for my hot water bottles

First time Celebrity cruiser here. I'm doing the South Pacific on the solstice. Anyone know how accessible hot water is (other than calling room service) I have a bad back and would need some for my hot water bottles

Hot water dispensers available 24/7 in buffet area. The water from your sink also gets very hot. EM

Our butlers found kettles for us on both our Solstice cruises so they obviously have a few for guest use.

As you need hot water for a medical issue I suggest you contact accessibility and ask them to forward your request to the ship. On boarding mention your request to your room attendant and the fact you have registered your need. If your attendant is dismissive go to guest relations and ask again. Whilst the accessibility department will not usually 'guarantee' the loan of items not standard in practice they will usually do all they can to help.

Guests like yourself should be prioritised over guests like us who enjoy a kettle to just make the odd English cuppa!

If you have any issues with the comfort of the bed/pillows....discuss with your room attendant, they do have some 'topper' mattress and a variety of pillow types. Whilst a 'pillow menu' is not usually available in all cabin types in practice if your room attendant knows you have a back problem and are struggling they will do all they can to aid your comfort.

We did the South Pacific cruise on Solstice in 2016 and thoroughly enjoyed. Hope you have a great vacation!

Edited by chemmo

Have a TA coming up in April of next year. Just curious, while the cruise originates in Florida, it ends up in Southampton via Azores and Lisbon, so is this considered a "European Cruise" and therefore have a kettle in our cabin? Last May we did a Baltic Cruise on Celebrity Silhouette and there were no kettles in any cabins to the best of my knowledge.

It would be nice if they had kettles in the cabins on all cruises, not just ones from the UK. "Hot" water from room service or even the buffet is seldom hot enough (ie still boiling) to make decent tea.

But for those of us who don't drink/ make tea they would be a useless item taking up space. Clearly cruisers out of Southampton have a larger population of cruisers whose custom is tea, ergo kettles. I would guess that a larger portion of the passengers on Alaska or Caribbean cruisers are those whose custom is to drink/make coffee. Maybe they should put coffee pots in the cabins so we can make fresh brewed coffee.

First, let me start by saying that I am all for safety. I am not looking to put anyone in danger, including myself.

That being said, Celebrity's inconsistent policy is quite confusing. I definitely understand the ban against irons. Allowing an appliance onboard that passengers use to apply heat to fabric is definitely a hazard. However, to ban handheld steamers and yet, allow curling irons and other beauty products that use "heat" makes no sense. It's makes even less sense when Celebrity actually places tea kettles in the staterooms on their European itinerary.

From their "new" website:

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

It says "certain items " , it does not say steamers. I always take a steamer(never hide it) and have not had it confiscated. It is no more dangerous than a curling iron or one of those hair irons.