Local currency

olesiabr

I have read on these boards that one of the best places to obtain local currency is on the ship itself, but we will be in Papeete for a few days pre cruise. Are USD accepted by taxis, roullettes and the market stalls where a cc cannot be used?

Thanks for any input

I have read on these boards that one of the best places to obtain local currency is on the ship itself, but we will be in Papeete for a few days pre cruise. Are USD accepted by taxis, roullettes and the market stalls where a cc cannot be used?

Thanks for any input

Best if you can get the money before you leave. Wells Fargo didn't charge me anything and I had it in two days.

Local small merchants will accept USD but expect them to round up in their favor. Ship gives an honest exchange. If your talking about 'fun' money around town and small vendors when you come off the ship your not going to need much so I wouldn't be concerned about a slightly better exchange from Wells Fargo. However, if your going to want more than lets say $500 USD I'd take the time to exchange prior to landing in FP. The worst place to exchange is at LAX, just awful ……

I always use the ATM at the Papeete airport. Easy to use and easy to find. When you exit the baggage area and security make a right - it's about 100 feet away. Best rate too. Yes the ship is good but ATN better. Some cabs will take dollars.