Fort Zachary Taylor state park

*jess*

Can we walk there?

Once inside, can we walk to the fort and beach?

Or should we consider getting a cab or a car?

Yes, you can walk there, but it's a bit of a hike. Once there, the fort and beach are all accessible on foot. Depending on where your ship is docked, you might want to consider using a cab.

Also be aware that as pedestrians there is a $2.00 per person charge and if riding in a car, there is a $6.00 charge per vehicle. The money is well worth it. The charge is a standard Florida state park charge.

You will pass the fort before you get to the beach and wooded picnic area. There is no additional charge to do a self tour of the fort. The view from the fort's roof is quite pretty.

On the way to the park is the nearby free Eco-Discovery Museum, worth a visit too.

I make that walk a bunch of times when I'm in KW, so I timed it the last time I was there. It should take about 25-30 minutes to walk from the Westin dock to the beach at Ft. Zach. It takes me 20 minutes walking at my exercise pace, but when I made myself walk slowly, it took me 26:30, though I probably walk a bit fast even then.

If you're at the Mallory Square dock, it would take 5+ minutes more.

Keep in mind that almost 10 minutes of the walk is in the park, after you pay. It took me 7:15 at my exercise pace to get to the nearest part of the beach, but when I walked with DH, it took us 9:15/9:50 (timed it twice, he thinks I'm crazy, but he does benefit from my paying attention to CC).

This is walking through Truman Annex, passing the Little White House.

The fort is before the beach, but very close.

For perspective, if you've been to Key West and not the park, walking at an exercise pace it will take about 20 minutes to go from one end of Duval to the other, from Front Street to South Street, and about 10 or 11 more minutes to the beginning of Higgs Beach, next to the Casa Marina.

Pjk

It is a long walk, especially if you are coming during a hot time of year. Take a cab.

Also, I'm sure there will be much better beaches elsewhere on your cruise. Fort Zachary is overrated in my opinion. The beach is more gravel and rocks than sand and unless winds have been down for a few days, the water is cloudy and churned up. On calm days, the water can be very clear and beautiful, but it is hit or miss.

If you are visiting to see a pretty setting or to tour the fort, go for it. If you are visiting for a beach day, I would skip it and wait for a better beach destination.

• 1 month later...