Zika virus on Great Stirrup cay or anywhere on the carribean?

poona1

Hello all...I was wondering if I should be worried about the zika virus...true, I'm young male and healthy but I also have a young wife...and we don't want to risk our vacation by going on any of these carribean islands where its endemic...

any updates..let us know

Zika cases have been reported in all 50 united states. But is only being actively transmitted by mosquitos in southern states like florida. It is active throughout the Caribbean. While NCL does provide complimentary mosquito repellent, I would buy and test repellents at home long before your vacation. You don't want to have a reaction to the free bug spray on the first day of your cruise and end up miserable for the rest of the cruise.

It doesn't sound as though you are going to Puerto Rico where I would have concerns.

Puerto Rico is rampant. They don't spray and are having a serious problem.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that by the end of 2016 more than 20 percent of the entire population or some 700,000 people in Puerto Rico have been exposed to the virus.

They are finding it through testing the blood donations and have found that almost 3 % of the donated blood is infected.

Mosquitos are more prevalent around at dawn and dusk.

Wear spray you have tested before leaving for your cruise.

Don't go strolling though grass and bushes no matter where you go in the Caribbean.

OP, are you both looking to get pregnant in the next 6 months to a year? If not, go, have fun, and relax! Still take proper precautions to prevent bites but it's only recommended to delay travel if pregnancy is on the horizon.

Also, while there is some Zika in the Bahamas I would say based on how aedes aegyptii mosqutioes breed and live GSC is pretty safe. These mosquitos that transmit Zika are home feeders and the breezy open, clean, treated beach is not their preferred cafeteria.