Normally happy with black tie but...

madmacs

I am on Ventura in early Autumn from Southampton and happy to take my DJ for the formal nights.

However we are away for two months in early 2019 visiting places in South and North America where I will have no need for a suit or DJ. We are coming back to the UK on Britannia in March 2019 as a relaxing end to our holiday. With weight restrictions etc don't really want to lug round a suit / DJ for two months just for the cruise. Does this mean we are restricted to the buffet on formal nights?

Did something similar a few years back on RCCL after visiting down under, and they were happy for me to wear a smart silk shirt etc. Think P&O are a bit more strict.

I am on Ventura in early Autumn from Southampton and happy to take my DJ for the formal nights.

However we are away for two months in early 2019 visiting places in South and North America where I will have no need for a suit or DJ. We are coming back to the UK on Britannia in March 2019 as a relaxing end to our holiday. With weight restrictions etc don't really want to lug round a suit / DJ for two months just for the cruise. Does this mean we are restricted to the buffet on formal nights?

Did something similar a few years back on RCCL after visiting down under, and they were happy for me to wear a smart silk shirt etc. Think P&O are a bit more strict.

Correct.

However you can use some of the other restaurants like the Beach House.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I was you I would leave the DJ at home and book the Limelight Club on all formal nights. The sooner you book the better seats you get, whilst you don’t know the nights until you are onboard you can sometimes guess. In the past cruisers who have previously done the same cruise have told me which were formal nights on their cruise and I have been guided by this. The Limelight Club has good quality food, the entertainment is variable but it’s a great way of doing something special without having to wear a DJ.

Hope you have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not send your DJ Suit for collection at your embarkation port? Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Strictly dinner suit or dark suit on P&O UK for formal nights and also in some lounges, i.e. Crows nest on formal nights. Some say formal wear should also be worn in the theatre on formal nights after 6pm, although I saw a few in shorts and t shirts watching the shows.:evilsmile: I was quite surprised how formal P&O UK was, just about up with Cunard dress requirements and I have travelled with both companies in the past couple of years:eek:

Is it worth contacting pando and seeing if they could store your suit onboard.If they would Gloucs to Southampton is doable...take it down early in the year before you go to usa. Will probably need to get it pressed when you are next together.That is all I can suggest besides as the others have said forget formal nights and eat else where

If I was you I would leave the DJ at home and book the Limelight Club on all formal nights. The sooner you book the better seats you get, whilst you don’t know the nights until you are onboard you can sometimes guess. In the past cruisers who have previously done the same cruise have told me which were formal nights on their cruise and I have been guided by this. The Limelight Club has good quality food, the entertainment is variable but it’s a great way of doing something special without having to wear a DJ.

Hope you have a great trip.

When we were on Ventura last year there was no Limelight Club..has that changed ? We used Glasshouse on one or two formal nights and that was good and not too expensive.

Where are you boarding Britannia and are you going near that port at the beginning of your travels? I only ask as I know for example, some people store a case of smart clothes in a storage unit in Sydney, whilst they travel Oz/NZ, before returning home onboard the final half of a world cruise.

P&O do ‘store’ cases for the first/last part of the world cruise, for people only doing part of the cruise... so they ‘may’ be able to do so on Britannia, but the cost may be more than the value of the DJ! Esp as it could be for quite some time. Could be cheaper to buy a DJ at the end of your travels and keep it as a memento ;) (or use the buffet or select restaurants for the few nights they’d be)

Britannia I have read, is bringing home the two UK rowers and their boat. The guys will also give talks, etc. I’m assuming they’ll not have DJs having rowed to the Caribbean!!!

Shame P&O don’t still do a limited hire service for situations like this.

When we were on Ventura last year there was no Limelight Club..has that changed ? We used Glasshouse on one or two formal nights and that was good and not too expensive.

Though the OP mentioned Ventura in the first paragraph, from the second paragraph on they are talking about Britannia.

Not a bad idea - will be in the USA just before going to Barbados for the trip home. Plenty of outlet centres there.

I would have thought it fairly straightforward to buy a cheap throwaway black/dark jacket in North America to pair some black trousers just before you join Britannia.

Given what some people wear I don't think P&O are that fussy.

DOH! Sorry I thought it was Britannia 🧐

My husband left his DJ and trousers at home by mistake. He wore a dinner shirt and bow tie and a jacket. He asked the maitre d'it who said it would be fine. That was on Oriana.

Exactly, you only have to see some of the comedy outfits some men wear to know that anything vaguely close will be acceptable.