More Warm Weather Itineraries Needed?

guyver

Would anybody else like to see NCL put a ship in the Polynesia / Tahiti area?

I really enjoy cruising in the tropics but would like to get something in the mix other than just doing Caribbean repeats. I realize that they have the POA in Hawaii as an option but I have had 3 land based vacations there in the past. Cruising it might put a unique spin on it though.

I received a brochure from Paul Gauguin cruise line and it really heightened my interest for the area. If I had mucho $$$, I could probably convinced to do a non-NCL cruise with that line.

Trouble is I don't, so here's to hoping NCL adds these destinations to their profile sometime in the near future.

I would guess there are number of reasons you do not see NCL, or many other large mass market cruise lines sailing there.

Air Travel - distance and cost

Volume - enough people

Logistics - getting enough food and other supplies there

Ports - many of those ports could not handle the number of people this large ships would produce

If NCL or any of the others thought they could manage the physical issues, and get enough people to sign up, they would do it.

I would guess there are number of reasons you do not see NCL, or many other large mass market cruise lines sailing there.

Air Travel - distance and cost

Volume - enough people

Logistics - getting enough food and other supplies there

Ports - many of those ports could not handle the number of people this large ships would produce

If NCL or any of the others thought they could manage the physical issues, and get enough people to sign up, they would do it.

All makes sense but still a bummer.

Yes, I would love to see NCL add French Polynesia cruises.

FYI. Princess offers a very good "NCL priced" 10 day roundtrip out of Papeete, Tahiti. I highly recommend a pre or post cruise stay at the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa.

Kevin

NCL, and many other lines, pulled out of the South American market (either totally or really cut down) when there was the downturn in the economy. I expect this was mainly due to the $$$$ air fares!!

If you want somewhere different and like NCL you might want to consider Star Cruises who sail out of Singapore, Hong Kong etc. Star Cruises are part owners of NCL.

There's one teensy problem with that. NCL likes to appeal to a wide cross section, from the folks who get off on the suites and perks to Ma and Pa Kettle who can only afford to cruise once in a lifetime. The latter is a big part of the clientele, and they will NOT pay to fly to Polynesia. Air tickets are WAY too expensive and they won't cruise anyway unless they can drive to the port.

So in short, for NCL, it won't happen.

I really enjoy cruising in the tropics but would like to get something in the mix other than just doing Caribbean repeats. I realize that they have the POA in Hawaii as an option but I have had 3 land based vacations there in the past. Cruising it might put a unique spin on it though.

I received a brochure from Paul Gauguin cruise line and it really heightened my interest for the area. If I had mucho $$$, I could probably convinced to do a non-NCL cruise with that line.

Trouble is I don't, so here's to hoping NCL adds these destinations to their profile sometime in the near future.

trouble with that, like so many other exoctic embarkation ports, the cost of air, if nothing else. These itineraries are great for those with bucks who generally cruise the more unscale lines, but for the basic, mid range, mass marketed lines like NCL, RCI, Carnival and yes, Princess the air alone can affect how quickly the ships sell out, if they do. Normally the lines that offer such itineraries use very small ships or mid sized.

Nita

I would rather see NCL return to Los Angeles and Houston first before doing itineraries in Tahiti or Australia. I prefer not to fly.

Don, I totally agree. I don't think, overall NCL has the market for exoctic ports or long cruises. It is more of a mid America mindset type of line. Europe is great, the baltic is another good choice but Australia, Tahiti, Pacific rim period isn't going to happen.

Nita

Archived