Ways to get from Houston to Galveston

Hello everyone!

We are 4 adults getting ready to cruise on the Carnival Magic August 23, 2015 and we need to figure out how to get to the port in Galveston. Not sure if we are flying into Hobby or George Bush airport yet. We plan to arrive the day before. Is it best to stay in Houston and take Carnival shuttle on Sunday? Rent a car and stay in Galveston? Take a cab or ???? Has anyone stayed at La Quinta in Houston and used their Cruise and Stay package?

Thanks for any info you all can share!

Edited by flipflopsforever

Last year we had a party of nine, and did the private super shuttle from IAH to Galveston the day before. After the cruise we had a flight out of IAH at 11:30 so we took a pre-booked transport from Galveston Limo. It was a little more expensive, but we were a little worried about the connection. Super Shuttle was a little disorganized it seemed and we had to wait approx 20 min for the van to arrive. We did self assist and was off the ship by 8:00am and the Galveston Limo was actually able to pick us up a half hour earlier than our scheduled pick up and we made it easily for our flight.

We are going again in June and have a Van rented through Costco and Budget. They do not have a drop-off in Galveston, but will drop you off at the pier from Texas City for $50 extra for your whole group (they actually drive the same vehicle, so you don't even have to take your bags out). It turns out about the same cost, but gives us flexibility to go to dinner, get our case of water, and check out the area. Still much cheaper for a larger party that the Carnival shuttle.

We flew into IAH for the week prior for business then took a private limo service to Galveston the day before the cruise.....about $150 .....for 2 of us in suv, slightly lower when they take the towncar and goes by trip not per person.We stayed at a new Days Inn behind La quinta, which was clean and great price. The other time we left from Galveston we went for 3 days prior to cruise for some R and R at the holiday inn condo suites wayyyyyy up the beach from the strip. Got the same limo service to and from Houston.

We used Z Limousine and had exceptional service. Their rates are very competitive

We were even picked up in a stretch limo at the port for a ride back to the airport. That really capped off a fabulous cruise and made that depressing debarkation day suddenly awesome :)

There is no great way to get from Bush to the port in Galveston. We thought taking a cab would be okay, but found that a limo service was just $10.00 more so we did that.

On the way back we did a ships tour that went to NASA with an airport drop off afterwards. It was a lot cheaper than a cab and we got to tour NASA too.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Transgates Limo for transportation from IAH to Galveston. It was $155 plus tip. It was a very pleasant ride. The driver had water for us and also the use of a charger if we needed to charge our phones. We had ordered a town car but ended up with a Suburban instead. I would definitely use them again. They met us at baggage claim and helped with our luggage and dropped us at the front door of the B&B we were staying at.

I'm looking for comparable rates for one-person so I'll update this post when I find it. I've called/checked SuperShuttle, a private car service, and complimentary hotel shuttles. SpringHill Suites in Houston near Hobby used to offer complimentary shuttles to the port. Not anymore so this looking. The best option for me is to get in the day before so I don't have to worry about a delayed flight, of course.

Hello everyone!

We are 4 adults getting ready to cruise on the Carnival Magic August 23, 2015 and we need to figure out how to get to the port in Galveston. Not sure if we are flying into Hobby or George Bush airport yet. We plan to arrive the day before. Is it best to stay in Houston and take Carnival shuttle on Sunday? Rent a car and stay in Galveston? Take a cab or ???? Has anyone stayed at La Quinta in Houston and used their Cruise and Stay package?

Thanks for any info you all can share!

We just returned from our cruise out of Galveston. We used the Cruise & Stay package at La Quinta. For the 4 of is it was $292 total. The shuttle picks you up at the hotel at 10am and you are a the ship by 11, When you return, the shuttle picks you up at the pier at 11 and takes you to the airport. The rooms are not fancy, but they are decent, and the beds are comfy. They had a nice little buffet breakfast available in the morning.

Edited by dancingranni
forgot t clarify it was LaQuinta

We are still trying to figure out our options for a November cruise. We have an IAH airport hotel stay booked the night before the cruise. The hotel offers transportation to and from the airport.

Carnival transportation is $45 per person each way. So that would work out to $180 for the two of us. I don't think I can get a town car or limo service for that. For just a couple, I think using the ships transportation is the cheapest?

We are still trying to figure out our options for a November cruise. We have an IAH airport hotel stay booked the night before the cruise. The hotel offers transportation to and from the airport.

Carnival transportation is $45 per person each way. So that would work out to $180 for the two of us. I don't think I can get a town car or limo service for that. For just a couple, I think using the ships transportation is the cheapest?

Try http://www.galvestonexpress.com - they have great rates.

Thanks for the tip Jackie..Hotel near IAH to the ship for our group of 4 roundtrip is $189 round trip. :) I have always found the ship prices to very high no matter where.

Glad I could help :)