Bye bye libraries?

mykeb14

John has been asking a lot about the library on the ship lately... Do you think they are going to replace them? If so what do you think they will replace them with?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good it's a wasted space.

Oh...that makes this current librarian/previous English teacher very sad. I too noticed that JH was asking a bunch of questions about the libraries. There were many responses of folks who genuinely enjoyed the quiet escape, the selection of books, playing games, and the conversations with other readers. But there were also replies that were eyebrow raising, such as the one who said, “I don’t cruise to get smarter, I just want to have fun.” Just sad...that there are some who associate “reading” with “being smart” and “not fun”..which is a ridiculous notion and perpetuates a fallacy regarding the art of reading....(as I quietly step down from my soapbox)

And one more thing...It is the height of hypocrisy to celebrate a reading pioneer (Dr. Seuss breakfast & parade) and at the same time consider getting rid of the libraries.

I've been in a ship library once. That was when we had to meet there to go on our "Behind the Fun" tour. I've seen them just not interested in them. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they re-purposed them but I know there are a few people who do like them.

Library is not a money maker.

very good observation, i mean it. They are always looking for ways to increase their profits. For those who like quiet and to play games or read, I've heard of people finding bars that werent open and using that quiet space. But you have to bring your own games (deck of cards?) or books. Not sure if Carnival allows closed bars to be used that way, but it is a possible alternative.

very good observation, i mean it. They are always looking for ways to increase their profits. For those who like quiet and to play games or read, I've heard of people finding bars that werent open and using that quiet space. But you have to bring your own games (deck of cards?) or books. Not sure if Carnival allows closed bars to be used that way, but it is a possible alternative.

Would be very sorry to see it go. Very often take out books and leave books we brought behind

Library is not a money maker.

Bingo.

I like the libraries. I take my own books to read on cruises (I go to our public library the week before and check a few out), but I like going in there to play board games or just sit somewhere quiet and air conditioned to read.

Bean counters can mess up anything.

I love the library too and read a lot on cruises. With that said I do not use the library a lot, opting for reading on the outside decks on level 3 right outside of guest services and the excursions desk. I would not mind if they repurposed the rooms, maybe expanded them and made them into a lounge of sorts, with the option to buy drinks , like a wine bar . I know the breeze has wine dispensers in their library. Maybe if there were a library that was open to the outside with oversized chairs, hammocks, etc. a combination hangout place for times where you are not in the party mood but in relaxation mood. Add some glass walls of windows or something to open it up. I love libraries though, even on cruise ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uh, no it’s not. My husband and I use that space when we cruise, and we always see other people using it too. Just because you don’t use the space doesn’t mean it’s wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Folks attend A.A. meetings here too :D.

On our Breeze cruise our group spent a whole evening in the Library playing Cards Against Humanity. One of our best nights on the cruise. With the self serve wine dispensers, they can make money there as well. Add a self-serve beer station to provide more variety.