Snacks

AUNTIE24

Sure you can; I'm not positive about the cheese, but packaged snacks are fine.

We always bring a few of our favorites; licorice for my husband, Hershey kisses for me, maybe a few nuts, granola bars, trail mix, etc.. Some, like the nuts or trail mix, we bring to eat on excursions that may not have a lunch stop.

Others, like the candy, isn't found on board, or at least not enough. One chocolate on my pillow at night does not cut if for this chocoholic!

Sometimes it's nice to just have an easy snack in the room without traipsing up to the lido deck and hauling it back, or waiting for room service. Sometimes you just want something that's not normally found on a ship, like chips.

I always bring nabs and granola bars to take along on excursions.

Ahhhhh ... I knew you had to be from NC as soon as I saw "nabs" :)

We lived in Rocky Mount for a couple of years and that is the one NC term that has stuck with me. :D

But why would you? There is sme food available on the ship.

Sure, but why???? There is so much food on the ship, and you've PAID for it when you booked.....

It's not at all necessary. Food is available all the time on cruise ships. No need to fill up suitcases with food.

Goodness! Is it really necessary to question the poster's motive? Maybe she is traveling with kids who need regular snacks or has a health condition like diabetes that necessitates always having something to eat at hand....

Or maybe she just has a preference for certain things. I certainly know of many cruisers who bring their own blowdryer on board, even though there is a perfectly good one in the cabin.

Goodness! Is it really necessary to question the poster's motive? Maybe she is traveling with kids who need regular snacks or has a health condition like diabetes that necessitates always having something to eat at hand....

Or maybe she just has a preference for certain things. I certainly know of many cruisers who bring their own blowdryer on board, even though there is a perfectly good one in the cabin.

And maybe OP was not aware of the amount of food available on a cruise ship.

i bring SNACKs and definitely will bring pre-packaged for the excursions as i usually dont eat when i am in port--i cant see why some would say not to bring them or there is enough food on the ship...cos for excursions it cant be taken off the ship and how about those late nite SNACKs that arent on the ROOM SERVICE menu:D

Its never a bad idea to travel with a few snacks. Prepacked nuts are a favorite of mine,, no worry about them being squished in suitcases,,and they fill you up,, and they are great with before dinner drinks!

I always throw stuff in my beach bag,, we don't usually get lunch on shore,, maybe a drink or two,, but we like to swim and snorkle and sightsee,, so we don't spend time in restaurants as a rule.

I've never found this to be an issue on a cruise, but land travel to some very foreign places has taught this vegetarian to travel with a jar of peanut butter. I can always find something to put it on locally (bread, crackers, apples, etc.), and it ensures that I'll have some protein if all else fails.

Don't forget duct tape. You can reseal sealed packaging with duct tape. Just one of many uses.

In order to see where you put the snacks, you also need a night light. And in order to hook that up, you need a power strip. And even though it may be confiscated, how can you live without an iron you brought with you. The list, reasons and motives are endless.

I always do. Many islands will not permit you to disembark with food from the ship. If you're doing an excursion that puts you out of reach of food for a long time - like a remote hiking trip - you'll want something to hold you until you can return to the ship. Last time we took the ferry to St. John, I made sandwiches at the breakfast buffet and took them with us. I now know that that is really not allowed. However, I also took along granola bars I'd brought from home. We're visiting a couple of less developed locations on our next cruise and I fully intend to bring along some snack food.

I do not recall ever seeing a sign when leaving the ship in a port saying we are not allowed to bring food off the ship. Many times I have taken apples or bananas in my bag when going on a beach excursion. Is this not allowed? They never check your bags getting off the ship, only getting back on.

I do not recall ever seeing a sign when leaving the ship in a port saying we are not allowed to bring food off the ship. Many times I have taken apples or bananas in my bag when going on a beach excursion. Is this not allowed? They never check your bags getting off the ship, only getting back on.

I have seen the signs at most if not all the ports that I have sailed to.

On my first cruise I took some snacks, that is before I knew that food and drink were what seems tobe available every 50 feet on board.;)

Apples and bananas? Oh dear!

You may have been able to do this on the itineraries you have travelled so far, but please don't try it if you come to Australia or New Zealand.

In this part of the world, we have to be very protective of our agriculture industry, and cannot risk the introduction of "foreign" pests or diseases.

At ports in these 2 countries, you will definitely see signs about not bringing food off the ship and your baggage will, most likely, be inspected by sniffer dogs. Those dogs are good - they will even detect the smell of food, if it you had previously had some in your bag.

Bringing fruit or meat products off the ship is an absolute no-no. Apples or bananas are about the worst thing you could try to bring off the ship.

People who do try to bring food off the ship will have it confiscated and are subject to an instant fine of about $200. No exceptions, no excuses.

PS: I don't think Australia and NZ are alone in this. Isn't is forbidden to bring fruit into California?

Ahhhhh ... I knew you had to be from NC as soon as I saw "nabs" :)

We lived in Rocky Mount for a couple of years and that is the one NC term that has stuck with me. :D

Respectfully' date=' I must disagree. No North Carolinian eats "nabs". North Carolinians eat "a-packa-nabs". Even if you're only eating one of the crackers, even if you're starving and you eat three packs at one sitting, it's still "a-packa-nabs". And that particular snack must always be consumed along with a North Carolina-only soda: RC Cola, Cheerwine, or Sundrop (all superior to Coke or Pepsi, at least to a North Carolina palate).
I always do. Many islands will not permit you to disembark with food from the ship.
They won't allow you to bring prepared food off the ship (i.e., sandwiches, as you described, fruit, or cookies from the buffet). You will not encounter difficulties anywhere with factory-sealed snacks (granola bars, peanut packs, etc).

The biggest deal, of course, is that you must not bring any prepared food OR any half-consumed factory-sealed food off the ship when you re-enter the US. The fines are too high to contemplate; seriously, the US Customs fines for just one piddly little apple can be more than I earn in a year.

You need to look a bit harder. And read your daily cruise newsletter, where it usually is spelled out. If you've never had your bag checked, you've been lucky. I've seen lots of garbage containers at the end of the gangway on shore, with guards standing over them, disposing of food just as you describe.

Archived