Mary. Princess or Queens

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:20 PM.
Near Windsor UK
236 Posts
Joined May 2002
On a round trip next year Cunard has a Queens cabin near the bows on deck 9 and a Princess cabin midships on deck 10. For the same price. Which to choose? Up in the bows there may be more movement and you are a long way from the grills restaurant, midships should be more stable but then I am hearing about vibrations (see my earlier post)
Oakland, CA USA
2,260 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Same price? I vote for Queens Grill because of the real estate, much larger stateroom with more room to spread out. Some of the QG butlers can provide excellent service. Some PAX also prefer to somewhat expanded menu choices and flexibility in QG restaurant.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 59 Days
Crystal: 38 Days
Princess: 28 Days
Oceania: 14 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
68 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
It’s a no-brainer for me. For us the difference between QG and PG isn’t enormous, but is enough to pay a moderate premium for per person per day. Given the bigger suite, Butler service, off menu ordering, much better menu and so on, for the same price we would be in there like a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Vale of Glamorgan
4,495 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Unless you are very sensitive to the motion of the ocean, I would recommend Queens Grill as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Market Harborough, UK
842 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by thames_side
On a round trip next year Cunard has a Queens cabin near the bows on deck 9 and a Princess cabin midships on deck 10. For the same price. Which to choose? Up in the bows there may be more movement and you are a long way from the grills restaurant, midships should be more stable but then I am hearing about vibrations (see my earlier post)
I have done a very rough TA in 10005, and for me it was fine (and very easy for the Commordore Club at night). It is however a long walk to the dinning room.

Go for the QG without question.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
Pennsylvania
6,382 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Be aware that Queens Grill suites 10001 and 10002 don't have balconies ('003 and '004 are fine in that regard, and also have their own stops on the scenic lifts from Deck 7).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Iowa
1,737 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I believe the OP is asking about Q6's on deck 9 forward (9001-90013 and 9002-9022) as compared to P1's. There are indeed several roundtrip crossings from Southampton next year where the fares advertised for P1's and Q6's are the same on Cunard's UK site. And oddly enough, one where a Q6 is actually £100 less than a P1. Go figure. I don't happen to see any similar pricing anomalies for round trip crossings on Cunard's US site, for what that's worth.

I have no experience with the Grills since they are out of my price range. So I don't have any particular expertise to offer to this discussion in that regard. But given the opportunity, I know I would pick the Q6 hands down.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)

Iowa
1,737 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
It just occurred to me the reason UK fares are the same for P1's and Q6's on certain voyages probably has something to do with the "Upgrade expectations" promotion going on in the UK; "Book a selected Cunard Fare Grill Suite by 1 October 2018 and pay the fare of one grade below." At least, that promotion does apply to the instances I found where P1's and Q6's are being advertised for the same fare on Cunard's UK site. And that particular promo does not apply in the US (where those fares are not the same).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)

At Sea
5,441 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I've not sailed in Princess grill, but have enjoyed cruises in Queens Grill twice (QM2 and QE).

Without hesitation I would book Queens Grill.

To add: I've had Deck 11 midships cabins on QM2 and have never noted excessive/distracting vibrations.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over Four Million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2.
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,233 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Another vote for QG. For us, there is no comparison because of the suite itself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QM2 - March 2019
Ventura - February 2020
Market Harborough, UK
842 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by bluemarble
I believe the OP is asking about Q6's on deck 9 forward (9001-90013 and 9002-9022) as compared to P1's. There are indeed several roundtrip crossings from Southampton next year where the fares advertised for P1's and Q6's are the same on Cunard's UK site. And oddly enough, one where a Q6 is actually £100 less than a P1. Go figure. I don't happen to see any similar pricing anomalies for round trip crossings on Cunard's US site, for what that's worth.

I have no experience with the Grills since they are out of my price range. So I don't have any particular expertise to offer to this discussion in that regard. But given the opportunity, I know I would pick the Q6 hands down.
Try to avoid 9001/9003 if you do not like the idea of cigar smoke potentially wafting down the corridor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
Market Harborough, UK
842 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by thames_side
Thanks for your advice folks. I have booked 9009. I reckon that's far enough away from the cigar smoke/.
I had a friend in that suite (or adjacent) and it was fine.
Trust you have a great time when it finally comes to your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake