aren Corfu excursions worth it?

We are thinking of booking an excursions with RCCL at Corfu:

Paleokastritsa, Lakones, Kassiopi, Nissaki & Kerkyra $90.

I wonder if it is worth it or should be go on our own on this one?

We booked a private car from this company ( dealt with Dimitrius)

taxi116@in.gr

they use Mercedes which would hold 4 ( plus driver) at 30 EU per hour/ they have a 4 hr. complete tour 120 EU which inc. all the ships stuff you mentioned and more ( and faster than the bus tour).

I have just left Corfu a couple days ago. We didn't book any excursion and felt we could "wing it" on our own. It turns out my husband and son really wanted to explore the beaches so instead of walking to the old town (pretty far walk from the pier and definately too far for my in-laws) we decided to rent a car. We walked away from pier to car rental place on the other side of the fence and found a company who rented us 2 small cars (we had 9 people) for $70 Euros for the day (no charge for miles or anything else) and this was for both, not each! We originally asked for a van which he didn't have so he agreed to this alternative. Anyway, he gave us a map and although the roads were a bit confusing, it was great fun to explore on our own. We found some magnificent beaches and had a wonderful day. By the way I've seen that these car rental places will even deliver the car to the pier, just negotiate a price before you arrive and they will be happy for your business. I found greece to be quite inexpensive (got a bottle of water for 40 cents!!) and a welcome change. Any other questions I'll be glad to answer...we are on our way to barcelona and cruise is over in the morning! Internet in the cabin is wonderful!

Dripps you are always so helpful!!

How was Venice (my dream city, my whole reason for this cruise)?

I heard that the cruise crew has a ball the night you are in Venice where you have to wear a mask, is this true? It sounds wonderful!!!!

Did you do any tours in Rome and Florence? if so with who and how was it?

Dripps - it is such a hoot that you're in communication with us while you're cruising....this is as good as it gets for "live" posting !!! That is great and thank you for checking in and providing us constant update of the ports and your cruise.

By the way, you mentioned at the latter part of your last posting that having internet in the cabin is "wonderful", how much did you pay for the access and is the price for the entire cruise? We'll be on the Brilliance of the Seas this Aug. 6th and are considering bringing our laptop.

Thanks again !! Have a safe trip back...

Dripps you are always so helpful!!

How was Venice (my dream city, my whole reason for this cruise)?

I heard that the cruise crew has a ball the night you are in Venice where you have to wear a mask, is this true? It sounds wonderful!!!!

Did you do any tours in Rome and Florence? if so with who and how was it?

To be honest Venice was just okay. It was also my reason for picking the cruise itinerary. I found it extremely commercial and full of tourists. It was most shops catering to tourists on very very crowded streets. The gondolas were neat to see but even they didn't have that romantic look as the gondoleers were calling to the tourists to take a ride like salesmen. I am glad I went but it wasn't what I had expected. The 2nd morning we went in as early as possible and it was much nicer without the crowds but then again, the shops didn't open until 10. Many didn't even open at 10, although signs on the door said it would. I bought a few masks and found the best prices to be at the stands where our water bus from the cruise ship pier let us off. I searched many areas and streets and the prices were fairly consistant, then when we got back to the area to leave we found better deals! I didn't participate in the mascarade party. I wouldn't call it a ball. It was in the colony club I believe, later in the evening and the photographers on the ship were set up to take photos.

I did private excursions in both Rome and Florence with Executive Limo and I highly recommend them. http://www.driverinrome.com I heard horror stories on a few ship excursions and I can tell you that not only was it LOTS cheaper to do it privately, it was much more convenient to have our own driver. We could get places the large buses couldn't go and it was more fun not being part of a large, impersonal group. We had a group of 13 with family and a couple other couples we met on cruise critic.

Good luck with your plans. I can't believe our cruise is coming to an end bright and early tomorrow morning. Our bags are packed and in the hall.

Dripps - it is such a hoot that you're in communication with us while you're cruising....this is as good as it gets for "live" posting !!! That is great and thank you for checking in and providing us constant update of the ports and your cruise.

By the way, you mentioned at the latter part of your last posting that having internet in the cabin is "wonderful", how much did you pay for the access and is the price for the entire cruise? We'll be on the Brilliance of the Seas this Aug. 6th and are considering bringing our laptop.

Thanks again !! Have a safe trip back...

I have enjoyed being able to contribute as this board was so helpful to me in planning this trip.

Internet in the cabin was $120 for the whole cruise. It is very slow and didn't work some of the time. It's via satelite. They ended up giving us a letter this morning saying they are crediting $60 back because they were having trouble with their main server in Miami. Whatever the problems it was still a pleasure not to have to pay by the minute and we let family and friends use the internet whenever we could. I love getting our moneys worth and with the credit I think it was a good deal. My husband wanted access to his email and the rest of the family as well. Ended up being helpful in Corfu and a few other times when we needed to look up some info. If you decide you want it I recommend you go down to customer service when you first get on the ship and ordering it. I think they limit how many cabins can have it.

Dripps, thanks to your "at the moment reporting" I was able to get my dinner seating time changed. Your post was forwarded to RCCL headquarters and that was the first the customer service reps had heard about the 4 seatings. This board even educates the cruise lines :D

The cruise line is just not telling the truth. I had read about the 7:00 seating on the boards and called my TA before I left. They had told him there were only 2 seatings.He called RC again after I e-mailed the posts , and they finally admitted to the 4 seatings. He got our group the 7:00 seating. He was told the later seatings were for the foreign guests.

The cruise line is just not telling the truth. I had read about the 7:00 seating on the boards and called my TA before I left. They had told him there were only 2 seatings.He called RC again after I e-mailed the posts , and they finally admitted to the 4 seatings. He got our group the 7:00 seating. He was told the later seatings were for the foreign guests.

Forgive my ignorance, but what times are the four different seatings? My husband and I are going on the Brilliance with friends next Oct 2005.

Thanks,

Donna

We rented motorcycles in Greece garbed a map and went everywhere and more. We ended up at the beach and the water was amazing warm and clear.

I agree with Debbie Dripps. Rent a car and get a map. If you take the destinations like Paleokastrista (the clearest water I have ever seen) and then follow the signs to your next destination like Kossiope etc. and do a loop you will have a great time. The rates are great water is cheep and very warm temps. This was one of my favorite stops. Go swimming.

The early seating was great were tired by 9:00. Trish

We had the early seating (6:30) and it was just a little too early. 7:00 would have been perfect (we should have taken Laura's queue and moved, but we had some nice tablemates). You tend to get back from the tours about 6:00, and that does not give you much time to get ready. They did a formal night, after one of the long days, and we just made a reservation for one the restaurants instead. The secret is to make a bunch of reservations at the premium restaurants, early (they fill up fast). They are well worth the $20 extra. We ate at Chops twice and Portofinos once, I think.

Archived