P & O Baggage Allowance! Disgusted!!

Sunseeker1664

This is a very old thread from 2012 that’s been raised from the dead...

Oh yes. I wouldn't have posted in it had I realised it had been resurrected.

Anyway then I wonder if the O P enjoyed their cruise and if they did end up booking any more P & O.

Hi, just booked a 14 night cruise to the Caribbean on the Azura for March 7th 2013, paid to upgrade flight to Premium, then find out P&O baggage allowance is only 23 Kgs!!!! How do they expect people to go to the Caribbean on a cruise with 5 formal nights and 5 informal nights with a 23 Kg allowance. They must have lost the plot! This will be the first and last P&O cruise we'll be going on! Even tried to pay for an increase to the baggage allowance, they won't have any of it...Anyone else got a problem with the allowance? Regards:mad:

Surely you have already travelled over 5 years ago as you state your cruise was in 2013 :p Sorry couldn't resist :D

But to come back to your serious post, do you know who your flight is with?

We are premium with Thomsons this December are we have 28kgs pp and 7kgs hand luggage pp.

Someone else who is with Thomas Cook has 30kgs in premium pp and 7kgs pp hand luggage, so what you have been told seems wrong to me. Our weight limits show on our flight info on our cruise personaliser.

Others flying out on the cruise have paid for up to 10kgs of extra luggage, so I think it depends who you are flying with as we certainly have the option to buy extra luggage allowance.

Hope you get it sorted.

Surely you have already travelled over 5 years ago as you state your cruise was in 2013 :p Sorry couldn't resist :D

But to come back to your serious post, do you know who your flight is with?

We are premium with Thomsons this December are we have 28kgs pp and 7kgs hand luggage pp.

Someone else who is with Thomas Cook has 30kgs in premium pp and 7kgs pp hand luggage, so what you have been told seems wrong to me. Our weight limits show on our flight info on our cruise personaliser.

Others flying out on the cruise have paid for up to 10kgs of extra luggage, so I think it depends who you are flying with as we certainly have the option to buy extra luggage allowance.

Hope you get it sorted.

Not sure if your post is serious or not. They did travel 5 years ago as the post was dated 2012.

The baggage allowance is nothing to do with the cruise line. They are imposed by the airline.

Yes. Not a problem. Can be done. There are launderettes on board. I went on a 2 week cruise and took enough for a week and washed half way through. Who cares if you appear in the same clothes several times.:cool:

Oh yes. I wouldn't have posted in it had I realised it had been resurrected.

Anyway then I wonder if the O P enjoyed their cruise and if they did end up booking any more P & O.

Oh blooming heck .......Who resurrected this thread.? Must admit that I didn't notice the date.:wine-glass::wine-glass:However 23kgs is still manageable 5 years on .....

Who on earth needs more than 23+5kg?!

23kg for a single item is the health and safety limit set by the airports so you're unlikely to find anywhere that allows higher unless you have multiple cases.

I regularly do up to 10 days hand luggage only. I've even been known to do 7 nights <5kg before. Granted, that wasn't for a cruise though.

I'm fully expecting my case to be ~17kg + hand luggage for my cruise. I just can't understand why you'd need any more than that?

I bet these are the same people who don't understand what "ONE item of hand luggage" means then get outraged when they have to squeeze their handbag in their case at the gate

P.s. I realise this is an ancient topic, but clearly it's still relevant

I was well within the 23Kg limit for a 31 night fly cruise! Not counting what you are wearing 2 pairs of chinos, 3 pairs of shorts, dinner suit, 2 pairs of posh shoes for evening, deck shoes, beach shoes, shirts, underwear etc etc. Make use of the free ships laundry and all is well.

Remember the advice, lay out all you want to pack on the bed, then put half of it away because you don't need it, maybe repeat this process.

I was well within the 23Kg limit for a 31 night fly cruise! Not counting what you are wearing 2 pairs of chinos, 3 pairs of shorts, dinner suit, 2 pairs of posh shoes for evening, deck shoes, beach shoes, shirts, underwear etc etc. Make use of the free ships laundry and all is well.

Remember the advice, lay out all you want to pack on the bed, then put half of it away because you don't need it, maybe repeat this process.

Good advice. Also roll up as many clothes as possible rather than lying them flat in the case.That may mean a spot of ironing before wearing. :D

Who on earth needs more than 23+5kg?!

23kg for a single item is the health and safety limit set by the airports so you're unlikely to find anywhere that allows higher unless you have multiple cases.

I regularly do up to 10 days hand luggage only. I've even been known to do 7 nights <5kg before. Granted, that wasn't for a cruise though.

I'm fully expecting my case to be ~17kg + hand luggage for my cruise. I just can't understand why you'd need any more than that?

I bet these are the same people who don't understand what "ONE item of hand luggage" means then get outraged when they have to squeeze their handbag in their case at the gate

P.s. I realise this is an ancient topic, but clearly it's still relevant

32kg is the airport limit.

P&O could allow higher weights as they charter the aircraft so can specify everything.

BA allow 32kg checked luggage with 23kg hand luggage allowance on the same aircraft type so it is possible.

Obviously this would cost P&O more so priced would have to go up.

23kg is the general (no extra cost)airline standard across the world so it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Hi, just booked a 14 night cruise to the Caribbean on the Azura for March 7th 2013, paid to upgrade flight to Premium, then find out P&O baggage allowance is only 23 Kgs!!!! How do they expect people to go to the Caribbean on a cruise with 5 formal nights and 5 informal nights with a 23 Kg allowance. They must have lost the plot! This will be the first and last P&O cruise we'll be going on! Even tried to pay for an increase to the baggage allowance, they won't have any of it...Anyone else got a problem with the allowance? Regards:mad:

Realise that this is an old post but I believe it still to be the case:D that if you upgrade to premium economy you get an allowance of 30kg per person

23Kg is the most we've had. done 3 Caribbean cruises with 4 formals and never had a problem, always take the Tux etc the manager takes cocktail dresses dosen't like long dresses at all. Did do a Azamara cruise with 15kg ( Eazyjet) for 2 weeks and still managed. If Pando stop the formal nights it will be me away to pastures new.

My Daughter, Son-in-Law and 2 Granddaughters managed to do 2 weeks in Spain (not a cruise admittedly) with just hand luggage. They researched it all before hand and bought lightweight hand luggage to the maximum size, had a list of what they were taking and all worked out fine.

Yes, I agree if P & O stop formal nights we would be doing all our cruises on Cunard.

You can do it, I know you want to take a different formal dress for each night but sometimes we just have to compromise and accessorise something twice. We just did 2 weeks in the Caribbean and did it with 23kg each. We ended up with things we didn't wear so have noted what to leave out next time. The other thing we find is that you can pick up toiletries in boots after check in and put them in the hand luggage bag leaving more weight for the case. Boots even let you order in advance and just collect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a 25day San Francisco to Southampton early in the year flying too and from Australia to boot - so many formal nights - we had 2 cases - one was 14KG and the other 16KG. We managed perfectly fine. As others said you don't need a full change of formal wear for each night - I had 2 skirts and 4 tops that I cycled through. Nobody is going to care if you wear a different outfit every night. And at the end of the day, you are never going to see any of these people again. They are not going to say - gee I saw this person wear the same thing twice :D Mummsie

We did a 25day San Francisco to Southampton early in the year flying too and from Australia to boot - so many formal nights - we had 2 cases - one was 14KG and the other 16KG. We managed perfectly fine. As others said you don't need a full change of formal wear for each night - I had 2 skirts and 4 tops that I cycled through. Nobody is going to care if you wear a different outfit every night. And at the end of the day, you are never going to see any of these people again. They are not going to say - gee I saw this person wear the same thing twice :D Mummsie

Likewise Mummsie..good post there. When we go overseas for cruising/land travel, for up to 3 months sometimes, we stick to 20kg each and still have the necessary clothes for formal nights. We have been on long haul flights where we have travelled Business or Premium Class and could have up to 40kg each, but at the end of the day you still have to haul that weight on and off trains, taxis, buses etc, hence we stick to 20kg each these days.:(

Some pax go way over the top with luggage, I have seen them on a 14 day cruises with half a dozen cases per couple, God only knows what they have in them.:p

P&O UK have now dispensed with the 'jacket night' thank goodness, so one need not take all the good gear, one once took, dark suit and tie is fine on formal nights, does me, I don't care what tuxed up pax think, dark suit and tie complies with P&O Dress codes. Not that I will be travelling with P&O UK again, after the Adonia fiasco, I am involved in.

My Daughter, Son-in-Law and 2 Granddaughters managed to do 2 weeks in Spain (not a cruise admittedly) with just hand luggage. They researched it all before hand and bought lightweight hand luggage to the maximum size, had a list of what they were taking and all worked out fine.

Yes, I agree if P & O stop formal nights we would be doing all our cruises on Cunard.

You say if P&O do away with formal nights, then you will sail with Cunard. Well watch out !! We were on QM2 in March, Sydney to HK. Some male pax were getting into Britannia Restaurant with tracksuit tops and jeans on formal and non formal nights. Some females were getting in wearing jeans and T shirts.Nothing was said by door staff.:evilsmile: Although I did see some stares from tuxed up diners. Same in the lounges and theatres. I think Cunard staff gave up on the dress code that cruise.

Probably not the Brit world cruisers sloppily dressed, more like those just doing the sectors from/to Australia/Asia.

We used to get 30k luggage allowance from P&O on their charter planes to the Caribbean years ago in the premium cabin . In saying that we have managed on two 28 night cruises with the 23k that is available now. In our case going forward we have decided that it's not worth the cost of upgrading the flight seats, in particular when travelling on the Dreamliner.

The current weight limit on Thomson Premier is 28 kgs and that is what is on my cruise personaliser for a Caribbean Cruise next month. They do add that no suitcase should weigh no more than 23kgs. Cabin bags are still 5 kgs.

If I need the extra weight I will put 10kgs in one of my hand luggage and check it in at the airport.

Just take less stuff and think how good it will be when you get home with less unpacking and washing to do. No one notices or cares if you wear the same evening clothes more than once and you can easily get a different look with a few well chosen accessories. We have upgraded our seats for our cruise on Azura in January and I am confident I can stay within the luggage allowance. I wouldn't wear a different outfit every day at home and not planning to on my cruise either.

Some pax go way over the top with luggage, I have seen them on a 14 day cruises with half a dozen cases per couple, God only knows what they have in them.:p

Some people just can't/don't know how to pack - my mum for one! My dad said it was being in the Army that taught him to pack and travel light. I bless him and the fact he taught me his packing methods every time I pack for the family holidays.

Slightly off topic, but was very surprised to hear yesterday that the hand luggage allowance for my son's winter swim training camp is 10 kg, and that's with a budget Spanish airline (Vueling). Mind you, he's going to need it, what with fins, pullbuoy, snorkel, two sets of hand paddles...