How much would you pay per night for a premium/luxury small ship cruise?

Finally there are some small ship cruises with interesting itineraries, which interest me.

However, the cost per night surprises me.

What cost per night do you consider good value for a small ship cruise with an interesting unique itinerary?

e.g.. Silverseas have a special offer for two cruises in June, 2018, on Silver Discover, which costs over $Aus1,000 pppn twin share. Solo cruisers pay 25% on top of this.

Way more than I’d be prepared to pay for a luxury line - Crystal who probably don’t fit your small category but are luxury and all inclusive run from Aust $332 to around $880 a night on their ocean ships but for their yacht that operates in the Bahamas it’s $732 to $1308 a night (all per person)

The minimum solo surcharge is 25% but it can run a lot higher up to 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it depends on itinerary and just how unique it is.

We paid over $1000pp/pn for an Antarctica cruise and we have also booked an arctic cruise at around $800pp, both cruises on ponant so 200people or less, all inclusive.

In 2014, We cruised to Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia Islands with Hurtigruten's Fram. Whilst I can't remember what we paid, it was nowhere near $1,000 pppn for a twin cabin. Which is why I'm so surprised at the higher than the over $1,000 pppn requested now for cruises in our region (by Silverseas).

I think the low Aussie dollar has made cruising on small expedition ships too expensive for Aussies.

Way more than I’d be prepared to pay for a luxury line - Crystal who probably don’t fit your small category but are luxury and all inclusive run from Aust $332 to around $880 a night on their ocean ships but for their yacht that operates in the Bahamas it’s $732 to $1308 a night (all per person)

The minimum solo surcharge is 25% but it can run a lot higher up to 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

are you sure that Crystal really goes as cheap as $332 per night? That sounds quite cheap.

Finally there are some small ship cruises with interesting itineraries, which interest me.

However, the cost per night surprises me.

What cost per night do you consider good value for a small ship cruise with an interesting unique itinerary?

e.g.. Silverseas have a special offer for two cruises in June, 2018, on Silver Discover, which costs over $Aus1,000 pppn twin share. Solo cruisers pay 25% on top of this.

That’s about the going rate for a luxury, all-inclusive ship.

What is the itinerary?

That’s about the going rate for a luxury, all-inclusive ship.

What is the itinerary?

Fabulous itinerary, but!

17 days Cairns to Darwin from 22/6 - Silver Discoverer - Silverseas Expeditions - $Aus21,000 (Plus 25% solo).

We looked at a cruise on a Regent recently, it was nearly 4x what we paid for a similar itinerary on Princess.

It did include drinks (as non drinkers worth about $10 a day to us)

Shore excursions, while we haven’t done a ships excursion for ages probably worth a few hundred a day

Air fares, but on a Sydney-Sydney cruise not worth anything.

However I can see how it becomes very competative to those who would get full value out of those things

We looked at a cruise on a Regent recently, it was nearly 4x what we paid for a similar itinerary on Princess.

It did include drinks (as non drinkers worth about $10 a day to us)

Shore excursions, while we haven’t done a ships excursion for ages probably worth a few hundred a day

Air fares, but on a Sydney-Sydney cruise not worth anything.

However I can see how it becomes very competative to those who would get full value out of those things

WOW - Regent four times more than a similar itinerary on Princess.

I am coming to the conclusion that they just ask for as much as they think they can get away with. When I looked at other Silverseas expedition cruises in the Northern Hemisphere for 2018, the cost per day was less, some much less.

With expedition style cruising, you don't spend a lot of time on the ship. As a non drinker, I think the prices asked are ridiculous for Australians. Maybe we might have to wait until the Aussie $ reaches parity. In the meantime, travel to London here I come!

I am coming to the conclusion that they just ask for as much as they think they can get away with. When I looked at other Silverseas expedition cruises in the Northern Hemisphere for 2018, the cost per day was less, some much less.

With expedition style cruising, you don't spend a lot of time on the ship. As a non drinker, I think the prices asked are ridiculous for Australians. Maybe we might have to wait until the Aussie $ reaches parity. In the meantime, travel to London here I come!

Yep, I pay around $250 a night on Princess (MID SHIP BALCONY) Regent near enough $1,000 a night. Now even if I factor in $100 drinks package (for me it’s more like $10 for soft drink) and $200 a day for excursions (remember your at sea about 1/2 the days, so that’s $400 per excursion) that’s still near on $450 a day more.

Yes, London would be a much better idea. Spend some of the money you save on a few nights at Hotel 41, near Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station. It has the sort of service and club like atmosphere you get on a luxury cruise ship.

Yep, I pay around $250 a night on Princess (MID SHIP BALCONY) Regent near enough $1,000 a night. Now even if I factor in $100 drinks package (for me it’s more like $10 for soft drink) and $200 a day for excursions (remember your at sea about 1/2 the days, so that’s $400 per excursion) that’s still near on $450 a day more.

I have been on a Regent ship, and I have to say that I found it a bit stodgy and American. I suppose it is more expensive because everything is just that much more upmarket than the mas market cruise lines. Also being a smaller ship, it is just that little bit more, shall we say sans bogan than the bigger mass market ships.

Having said all that, if you don’t drink, don’t really care much about excursions and are embarking and disembarking from Sydney, you wouldn’t get much value out of a lot of the inclusions. The best thing about being on a line like Regent out of an Australian port is that you would have a lot of foreign passengers on board, and therefore feel like you were getting something of a holiday from your own culture.

Yes, London would be a much better idea. Spend some of the money you save on a few nights at Hotel 41, near Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station. It has the sort of service and club like atmosphere you get on a luxury cruise ship.

Ah a Red Carnation Hotel - a bit outside my price range. However, I do go to a theatre near there.

250aud for a balcony? Is that pp or for the cabin? What class of ship?

I have never sailed Princess but when I look online those prices would have to be per person

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I have been on a Regent ship, and I have to say that I found it a bit stodgy and American. I suppose it is more expensive because everything is just that much more upmarket than the mas market cruise lines. Also being a smaller ship, it is just that little bit more, shall we say sans bogan than the bigger mass market ships.

Having said all that, if you don’t drink, don’t really care much about excursions and are embarking and disembarking from Sydney, you wouldn’t get much value out of a lot of the inclusions. The best thing about being on a line like Regent out of an Australian port is that you would have a lot of foreign passengers on board, and therefore feel like you were getting something of a holiday from your own culture.

Their cabins are huge as well

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums