Rhapsody of the Seas

Looking at the seven day Alaskan cruise (Seattle) on Rhapsody of the Seas next June, my DH and I are curious to know more from those of you who have sailed her before. What did you like/dislike, do you have any advice if we finally bite the bullet and book?

Thanks!

The Rhapsody, when stationed in Texas, was very friendly. She is smaller than the Conquest. I saw them in port together and there is a visiable difference. Lots of windows and open areas. The size makes it easy to get around. Easy walk from back to front of the ship. Lots of storage in even the small interior rooms. The Rhapsody has an adults only pool with a snack bar. The shops onboard the Rhapsody are as good if not better than those on the Voyager. The Windjammer was just referbished and is a very nice buffet. We will be on her for Alaska in July 09.

We have been on Rhapsody twice and really enjoyed it. It has many things to do, but is not like some of the larger ships where there are so many people that you feel crowded. The service was excellent and the crew was very friendly. Don't know if it has been refurbished lately, since it has been a year since we have been on this ship but it is well kept up and clean. I wouldn't hesitate to book it unless you are looking for the big ship experience with the alternative restaurants, ice rinks ect...Have fun if you decide to book!

I have not heard positive things from friends of the current state of the rhapsody so I have decided personally not to book her, I prefer the ships with the specialty restaurants and the CL, but when I was las ton rhapsody in the late 90s she was a beauty and back in those days seemed HUGE :D how time goes on :)

Hi,

This is my first post on this site as we've just booked the Rhapsody for a 10 night to New Caledonia/Vanuatu ex Sydney in November.

I'm starting to get a little stressed out because there are mixed reports about the ship. How is it for a just-turned 5 and just-turned 4 year old?

Also, a previous post mentioned an adults only pool - where can kids swim?

(I've just seen that I had 6 other posts?!)

Hi,

This is my first post on this site as we've just booked the Rhapsody for a 10 night to New Caledonia/Vanuatu ex Sydney in November.

I'm starting to get a little stressed out because there are mixed reports about the ship. How is it for a just-turned 5 and just-turned 4 year old?

(I've just seen that I had 6 other posts?!)

i also am interested to hear about Rhapsody as we are thinking of taking the 13 nighter in October this year around the Pacific. My BIG question: does anyone know anything about the large lounge/nightclub on board, it holds 500+ people.. does it go till the wee small hours???

just my .02,but we sailed on her in 2006 that being are first cruise thought that is was a wonderful ship my son was 6 at the time and absoutely loved it.It may be a older ship,but it was great.

There are always going to be some negative reports. We've sailed her 3 times and had a blast on each cruise! She is easy to get around. Hey, you're on a cruise...not working...need I say more?

We are leaving 5/30/08 and plan on having a GREAT time!

There are two pool areas on the Rhapsody. The main pool area and the adults only solarium (covered pool area). Everyone can use the main pool area.

Sometimes in cold weather, they will even have family times in the solarium so that kids can still have some pool time.

i also am interested to hear about Rhapsody as we are thinking of taking the 13 nighter in October this year around the Pacific. My BIG question: does anyone know anything about the large lounge/nightclub on board, it holds 500+ people.. does it go till the wee small hours???

It really depends on your fellow cruisers. The bars, nightclubs, etc will go until people stop so if everyone you are sailing with wants to go to bed at midnight, then you'll find things closing earlier - if you want to shut down the ship at night, you'll be able to do that too.

I think whatever ship RCI sails out of Seattle has a weak itinerary. At least in 2009 you get Victoria instead of Prince Rupert. If cruising on this ship or RCI is most important, than I'm sure you'll have a good cruise. If seeing the best of Alaska is most important, there are better options out there.

wow...this is the most post on a thread about the Rhapsody that Derek lewis hasn't been mentioned. We really liked the Rhapsody, but Derek Lewis, who performs in the Schooner lounge is by far the most fun night time entertainment we have seen on any cruiseship!

we are going on Rhapsody this Sept and cannot wait. I cant help with the specific questions...but we have been on Vision and it was one of our favorite ships. There are tons of excellent areas on the ship where the views looking out were great, I cant imagine how nice the views will be in Alaska

All of our cruises have been on the Rhapsody. She is a wonderful ship. There are no speciality resturants or other things that the larger ships offer, but we found the activities to be just right for us. We have had an inside room, JS, and JS aft and consider all of them good. Of cource one can see some wear and tear but it is to be expected considering the turnover they have. The adult pool is for 16 yo up and there is another pool for families. The only thing that I heard people complain of was one has to walk through the adult pool (the solirum) to get to the spa, ping pong tables, and a snack bar. The staff was great and always helpful. Just wish she was back in Galveston. Will be going on the Voyager in Dec '09. It will be interesting to see how they differ besides the size.

If you do a search on these boards for Rhapsody you will find a bunch of posts. We Texasans love her and hated losing her from Galveston. When making my decision of which cruise Alaska or Hawaii, Alaska won because of the Rhapsody. She was our first cruise (make that first love) and am very happy to sail with her for our 45th Anniversary. I see there is a Radiance class ship sailing Alaska, if you want new and specialty restaurants go that way. This class ship has more glass than the Vision class and I plan on sailed one of these soon. The Rhapsody was refurbished a few years ago, but she does show her years in places. She has held the title of the friendliest ship on the seas for a long time. Hope her globe trotting hasn't dimmed her. The crew interaction is wonderful. They really make you feel like honored guests.

Archived