Loyalty island

maggie2010

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there is more than one island in the Loyalty Islands. I've been to Mare and Lifou. Mare is pretty much a beach island and just lovely, although some people just hiked around. Lifou was somewhat of a disappointment for many although we enjoyed the inaugural port ceremony in Oct. It was our ship's first time there and the natives put on a special performance. It wasn't mentioned in the daily, but we just happened upon it. There are some short trips and hikes. I have some info on these ports on my website:

http://www.donnagawell.com- look under Europe and Australia and then the Pacific Islands. I have some reviews also.

Are there any special spots to see or is it mainly just for snorkelling or beach play.

Yes and mostly yes.

There are three main Loyalty Islands, Mare, Lifou and Ouvea.

Mare is often visited by cruise ships, but almost the only thing worth doing is swimming and snorkeling at Yejele Beach. Which is very nice. This is a tender port.

Lifou is the most commonly visited island. There is very good snorkeling just near where you are dropped off and even better at nearby Jinek Bay for a fee. There is a fine lookout just around the corner. There are rock pools and caves further into the island that can be visited. The cliffs at Jokin in the north are said to be worth seeing. There is also a vanilla plantation to see. You can go to Luecila Beach on the other side of the island, but it is not as good as the beach at which they drop you off. This is a tender port.

I don't know of any ships that stop at Ouvea. I don't know if this is related to the island's reputation for radical Kanak separatism.

Edited by SinbadThePorter