port to plane same day, Anchorage

spearmint

Some new friends (for the first time ever) are taking a Holland America cruise in May from Vancouver to Anchorage.

From what I can see, they dock at Seward which is near to Anchorage?

They have a mid-morning flight from Anchorage back to Vancouver. (10: 00 a.m.?). Will they make it on time to you think? I have no idea where the airport is located compared to the port. Any help will be appreciated. (Had I known them prior to their booking, I would have advised a later flight.)

Bill

As with Bruce, I also have never heard of a ship actually disembarking or embarking at Anchorage. There isn't a cruise terminal, so luggage handling would be an issue.

The drive from Seward to Anchorage is about 2.5 hours in length -- assuming no traffic accidents nor road construction on a two lane highway. And they definitely need to be at the Anchorage airport two hours before their flight as some days it is surprisingly slow to clear security. Even if they have TSA pre-check they need to be there about two hours before their flight. Your friends need to check with HAL to determine the earliest flight HAL recommends.

Thanks all. The HAL website shows Seward (Anchorage) docking; that's where I got it from. Will check with friends for their actual information. I hate to say this, but I need to talk to him. I think she is not up to date on facts. :eek:

Bill

Thanks all. The HAL website shows Seward (Anchorage) docking; that's where I got it from. Will check with friends for their actual information. I hate to say this, but I need to talk to him. I think she is not up to date on facts. :eek:

Bill

The "Seward(Anchorage)" simply means your friends will access Anchorage from Seward. If there were able to disembark in Anchorage, it would simply say "Anchorage".

• 3 weeks later...

Just an idea...we are disembarking in Seward, staying one night at an Anchorage hotel, and flying home the following day. Our flight options were either departing Anchorage at noon or 9:30pm. Noon seemed impossible given the distance from Seward and checking in to the flight by the suggested time. Our other option was 9:30pm but with 3 young kids that would mean a red eye for all of us with a long layover in LAX. Absolutely not! Going the next day means we can make the noon flight.

If your friends have a similar situation, staying one night in Anchorage might make things easier for them.