If you had to pick one thing most important to you on a ship

Peachypooh

Never been a ship I considered dirty 20 plus cruises don't understand where this is coming from as I have sailed many different lines and not really noticed a dirty ship.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

It's less people saying "ships are dirty" it's rather people saying "it's most important to me that ships are clean"... I believe.

Edited by Notnewtoit

Cleanliness - assumed. Decent food - assumed. Decent crew - assumed. So, if any of these weren’t met, I would be a) surprised and b) exceedingly annoyed. (Food is what keeping my wife from going on Carnival again.)

The most important thing to me is the ocean under me. I sail to be at sea, which is why I love sea days. Next is calling on places I haven’t been, which is why we have to branch out from the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm surprised so many people mentioned cleanliness. I've never been on a cruise ship that wasn't extremely clean.

Same here. It's not on the top of my list because it's never been absent. If it ever is, I'm sure my list will change!

All the things like food and entertainment have been very much the same from cruise to cruise, ship to ship. Yes, some entertainment events are more memorable than others, but over the course of the entire cruise, it's been pretty even. I enjoyed the Aqua Theater show on the ALLURE, and obviously can't recreate that on the Norwegian Jade!

But for me, it's the itinerary in conjunction with price. Basically, the best itinerary for my budget. Yes, I'd love to do a Galapagos cruise right now, but the price and the price of getting there make my "favorite" itinerary unreachable at the moment. But all other things being equal, it's itinerary.

ITA that cleanliness, decent food and friendly crew are a given.

Our big thing is activities. We are a family of 4 and like things to do together as well as apart. A variety of things to do is very important and a big reason why we enjoy cruising. This includes ship amenities like water slides, rock walls, ropes course but also cruise staff activities like trivia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(1) Clean ship in good to great condition,age of ship is not an excuse for poor appearance

(2) Good food, in MDR is very important so that Specialty dining is an option not a necessity

(3) Entertainment in all areas from TV in cabins to production shows to piano bars

(4) Friendliness of staff on all levels makes guest feel special

Flexible dining times for tables of two. Unless the cruise line can do this well, it’s a nonstarter for us. Most cruiselines have their version of Freestyle dining...but none do it better than the NCL group of lines. I once considered a HAL cruise for itinerary...but reading through CC posts, flexible dining does not seem to be a strength on that line.

I certainly hope some of the lines are monitoring this chain!!!!!

Cabin (location, size, etc). We spend lots of time there reconnecting, communicating and "just being" with each other. There is never enough "us" time and it is something money can't buy. (keep in mind we are not newlyweds, almost 25 years married)

Service. A very big issue. to really enjoy your vacation, you need to feel important.

Itinerary. Experiencing new places and learning new things brings joy and excitement.

I'm surprised at the number of food comments. Maybe I'm not so picky. That one is way down on my list.

And cleanliness for me goes without saying.

I had lots of free time on my last cruise so spent quite a bit of it chatting with other passengers. For some reason the topic came up frequently about what it is that is most important to them if going on a cruise. For me the ship has to be clean and my cabin clean and in good repair. One person I met at a beach stop said his most important thing is speed of the bar service. Another person mentioned to me in the atrium the cost (I think this is true for most but for him nothing else was important). How about anyone else?

Peachy, what an interesting and fun question: I don't know if there is any one thing that is more important than another for me: yes, cleanliness would be near the top, but I am not a neat freak myself, so don't pay a lot of attention unless the ship or cabin is really dirty. We do like decent, if not really good food, but also important to us is: a friendly crew and nice people. There is nothing that can ruin a cruise quicker than rude people or people who look for the negatives, instead of the positives. As for entertainment and itinerary, we like lots of choices for things to do,but itinerary isn't as important as it used to be

Edited by newmexicoNita