See Washington State other than Seattle.

cheone

Two weeks ago before a cruise to Alaska, we did a 3 day trip around Washington State for the price of a hotel room in downtown Seattle. The first night, we stayed by the airport. Next morning we rented a car and headed to Mt Rainier, seen the Rain forest, hot springs, steam vents and many waterfalls. The highlight of going to Mt Rainier was going to the 6,000 ft level of Mt Rainier-Paradise Visitor Center. Paradise had 9 inches of snow the day before so there was snow on the trees along with the 22 ft of snow on the ground. Paradise, Mt Rainier was a Winter wonderland. From Mt Rainier, we headed 60 miles east of Mt Rainier to Yakima and stayed the night. Yakima is in Eastern Washington is basically desert except for the miles of fruit orchards. The next day, we went through Wine Country heading north along the Columbia River. We had lunch at Lake Chelan, a beautiful crystal clear glacier fed lake. They say Lake Chelan is the biggest tourist area in the summer. We visited several wineries in the area and stayed for the night in Leavenworth, all structures and the mountains surrounding look like a Bavarian village. Washington State is beautiful once you get away from the crime ridden and filthy downtown Seattle. You see wet and Rain Forests on the West Side, deserts and the vast fruit orchards on the east side, beautiful mountains and glaciers. It seems that all the highways have rivers along the side of them The 3 nights with food cost us around $500.00

Two weeks ago before a cruise to Alaska, we did a 3 day trip around Washington State for the price of a hotel room in downtown Seattle. The first night, we stayed by the airport. Next morning we rented a car and headed to Mt Rainier, seen the Rain forest, hot springs, steam vents and many waterfalls. The highlight of going to Mt Rainier was going to the 6,000 ft level of Mt Rainier-Paradise Visitor Center. Paradise had 9 inches of snow the day before so there was snow on the trees along with the 22 ft of snow on the ground. Paradise, Mt Rainier was a Winter wonderland. From Mt Rainier, we headed 60 miles east of Mt Rainier to Yakima and stayed the night. Yakima is in Eastern Washington is basically desert except for the miles of fruit orchards. The next day, we went through Wine Country heading north along the Columbia River. We had lunch at Lake Chelan, a beautiful crystal clear glacier fed lake. They say Lake Chelan is the biggest tourist area in the summer. We visited several wineries in the area and stayed for the night in Leavenworth, all structures and the mountains surrounding look like a Bavarian village. Washington State is beautiful once you get away from the crime ridden and filthy downtown Seattle. You see wet and Rain Forests on the West Side, deserts and the vast fruit orchards on the east side, beautiful mountains and glaciers. It seems that all the highways have rivers along the side of them The 3 nights with food cost us around $500.00

Suggest using a map Yakima is central Washington is nowhere near close to Eastern Washington if you would have gone further east you would have been in wine country. There is a lot to see in downtown Seattle like the Seattle Art Museum, Pike Place Market, the Center for Wooden Boats, the Space Needle, the monorail, the Chihuly glass garden, Klondike National Park and the Seattle Underground too bad you missed it all

Suggest using a map Yakima is central Washington is nowhere near close to Eastern Washington if you would have gone further east you would have been in wine country. There is a lot to see in downtown Seattle like the Seattle Art Museum, Pike Place Market, the Center for Wooden Boats, the Space Needle, the monorail, the Chihuly glass garden, Klondike National Park and the Seattle Underground too bad you missed it all

I have stayed downtown Seattle 3 times. Once you have seen the so called attractions as you described, you don't want to go back. Actually Pike Place market is the only one worthwhile to see again. The state of Washington is divided in two by the Cascade Range- Eastern Washington on the east side of the Cascades and Western Washington on the West side of Cascades. The Climates are different- Western Washington - Marine wet climate. Eastern Washington-Hot and dry in the summer-a lot of days over 100 degrees. Cold and dry in the winter-average temperature 20 degrees and a lot of nights below 0. Geek, I don't know where you get your Information, most of the Wineries are along the Columbia River north of Yakima all the way into British Columbia. Before the trip, I have done extensive research on the State of Washington. It paid off in the wonderful trip I took before the cruise. I will never stay in Downtown Seattle again, next time I will stay at SeaTac or surrounding cities and see the attractions out of Seattle.

I have stayed downtown Seattle 3 times. Once you have seen the so called attractions as you described, you don't want to go back. Actually Pike Place market is the only one worthwhile to see again. The state of Washington is divided in two by the Cascade Range- Eastern Washington on the east side of the Cascades and Western Washington on the West side of Cascades. The Climates are different- Western Washington - Marine wet climate. Eastern Washington-Hot and dry in the summer-a lot of days over 100 degrees. Cold and dry in the winter-average temperature 20 degrees and a lot of nights below 0. Geek, I don't know where you get your Information, most of the Wineries are along the Columbia River north of Yakima all the way into British Columbia. Before the trip, I have done extensive research on the State of Washington. It paid off in the wonderful trip I took before the cruise. I will never stay in Downtown Seattle again, next time I will stay at SeaTac or surrounding cities and see the attractions out of Seattle.[/quot

Actually Washington it is divided into three regions Western Washington Central Washington and Eastern Washington but you already know that from your extensive research. Seattle is one of the probably top doesn't best tourist cities in the United States. I lived one suburb away from Seattle for 28 years so I know the place very well. The Columbia River doesn't go close to Yakima.

As a person who was raised in Western Washington anything on the east side of the mountains is called Eastern Washington. I cannot understand why everyone is so infatuated with Seattle. When there are so many other things to do in Washington that far exceeds what there is in Seattle. Seattle is a cesspool! It filthy dirty, it’s over crowed, traffic is terrible, there are bums and homeless everywhere. We very rarely ever go to Seattle and when we have relatives or friends come from out of town the last we take them to is Seattle. There are just too many other things to do than go to Seattle.

As a person who was raised in Western Washington anything on the east side of the mountains is called Eastern Washington. I cannot understand why everyone is so infatuated with Seattle. When there are so many other things to do in Washington that far exceeds what there is in Seattle. Seattle is a cesspool! It filthy dirty, it’s over crowed, traffic is terrible, there are bums and homeless everywhere. We very rarely ever go to Seattle and when we have relatives or friends come from out of town the last we take them to is Seattle. There are just too many other things to do than go to Seattle.[/quot

If you want to see a football game or baseball game you go to Seattle if you want to see a world-class Art Museum you go to Seattle if you want to see a fantastic Public Market you go to Seattle if you want to see an entertaining historic tour you go to Seattle if you want to see a museum based on Wooden Boats you go to Seattle if you want to go to a Chinatown you go to Seattle if you want to ride a monorail or go up the Space Needle you go to Seattle if you want to watch an ice hockey game you go to Seattle

Well as a person who's lived in Seattle for a long time and who's lived in and visited big cities all over the world, I take exception to the "cesspool" school of thought. Yes, Seattle has homeless people but so do all North American cities of Seattle's size or bigger. If you want something clean and perfect, then Seattle isn't going to be your cup of tea. But London, Paris, Rome, Sydney, Tokyo... won't be either. But if you want a city that's full of life and beauty, as well as some ugly bits, and one that's set in incomparable surroundings, then welcome. If you don't want that, fine.

Washington state has numerous regions - rain forest, alpine, high desert, temperate lowlands.... it's all good.

Cheone - congratulations for getting "out" and seeing the real Washington. As a native born and on & off resident all my life I've been to every corner of the state and darned near everywhere in between. My "last road" to conquer is Hwy 97 from Yakima to Goldendale and Maryhill (been there via other roads). For some reason never made it to Satus Pass yet. We make it a point when entertaining out of state visitors to get them to "the east side" to see the contrast in climate. They are always amazed by the dryness when we hit the other side and then double amazed by the lush greenness when we return to the "wet" side. We have friends and family coming in August and definitely will get them out and about. Mt. Baker Highway, North Cascades, Wenatchee, Grand Coulee (the coulee, not just the dam) are all on the list as is a ferry ride and visit to Hurricane Ridge. And, yes, a day in Seattle.

Don't forget western WA including the Olympic Peninsula, Hood Canal, areas like Long Beach, and the San Juan Islands. A beautiful part of the state. You can easily do a 2-3 day circle trip from the the Seattle airport out to the coast then north around the Peninsula, see the beautiful Olympic National Park and Forest (rain forest) take a ferry to Whidby Island and then another ferry out to the San Juans (consider going as a walk-on passenger...much cheaper, and little or no waiting in line) from Anacortes. Come home through La Conner and back to Seattle.

Seattle is a wonderful city, and I would agree that there are no more (or less) problems there than any large city has, although their public transportation system is far superior to San Diego or Los Angeles. Good restaurants, great museums, good shopping, and lots of history in Seattle.

Living in Central Washington, I can attest there are 3 regions. The "west side" has Seattle and other major attractions.

The "east side" has two regions. Central Washington is known for its irrigated orchards and farmland. Yakima, Wenatchee, and Chelan are its well known cities, and is defined by the US 97 corridor.

Eastern Washington is the Spokane area and the Palouse. Dry land farming (no irrigation) of winter wheat and canola dominate this region.

While the East and Central regions may have crossover, we are distinct. I live in North Central Washington and even then I am proud to live on the East side of the state!

I grew up on the west side - now live in NCW (North Central Washington) which is Eastern Washington since it is east of the Cascade Mountains. One HUGE advantage of leaving the Seattle area - is getting away from traffic!!!! I agree with previous posters, there is a lot to see in the state of Washington. There are many different regions - Washington has it all! Rain forest, the ocean, lakes, rivers, dessert, mountains ranges,mountain passes, shrub step . . . . . Fish, hunt, hike, ski, water sports, lots of fruit and WINE! What a good idea to take a little road trip outside of Seattle.

bec98ee6c178f8c64f04d368631f7b77.jpg

I love my city! Are we Singapore clean? No, but not many cities are. Do we have homeless? Yes, sadly there are quite a few. We have a more mild climate than a lot of other places in the U.S. If you have no shelter a mild drizzle in Seattle is better than below freezing temps and snow in other parts of the country. If you choose not to give them money, just keep walking. I've lived here my whole life and have had just a couple really hassle me. In terms of crime, we don't even break the top 10 in violent crime according to the FBI. Washington is a beautiful state and there is so many wonderful places to see around the state. If you have time I totally recommend seeing those sights. If you don't have much time and have never been to Seattle, it would sure be shame to scare people away from this beautiful city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington State, and the Pacific Northwest in general, has remarkable variety in landscapes and natural features. Just for the h3ll of it, here are some photos taken in various parts of Washington, just to give a feel.

Olympic Mountains from Seattle (actually, from walking distance of the Pier 91 cruise terminal) -

20130330_111a.jpg

Pier 91 cruise terminal from Alki Beach, West Seattle -

P1000154s.jpg

Fishermen's Terminal and some of the Alaska fishing fleet, Seattle

P1000106as.jpg

Mt. Rainier from Vashon Island -

Rainier-from-Vashon-3.jpg

Wild Horses monument, Vantage (I-90 at Columbia River) -

20130409_43a.jpg

Palouse Falls, eastern Washington -

20130409_300a.jpg

The Columbia River doesn't go close to Yakima.

Depends on your definition of close. Yakima to Ellensburg is about 60 miles and Ellensburg to Vantage which is on the Columbia is 20 miles so if he's driving from Yakima back to Seattle via I-82/I-90 it would be a 40 mile (Ellensburg to Vantage & return) side trip which isn't bad, especially on an interstate.

Tom

• 8 months later...

I posted this last year. It is much better and cheaper than staying in Downtown Seattle.

You are airing your emotional issues in public

Seriously? I guess I needed to add *sarcasm*?

Someone earlier in this thread called Seattle a cesspool which is silly. It is a great city to visit and I can't imagine a more beautiful city on a warm sunny day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Edited by fastpitchdad

Living only 2 hours from Seattle (in Canada), WA State is a frequent weekend-getaway as well as a destination for some longer road trips. I love Seattle. Sure, the homeless are more visible there (than in some cities), as many are in a heavily touristed area. I have never had a problem with any of them or felt unsafe, even if it is 11PM. Other than Pike Place, Space Needle, Science Center, SAM, Experience Music Project etc. — it has hip hotels, stellar dining options, adorable neighbourhoods, water views, great shopping and inexpensive ferries to get you out on the water for more sightseeing opportunities. It definitely has more going for it than can be discovered in a weekend. Happy travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums