Frankfurt Layover ...

Lady Chew

We are flying business class out of Venice after our cruise ... on Lufthansa, then switching to a United flight (still business) to IAD in Frankfurt. Do we switch terminals, or go through passport control? We have one hour ...

It's been years since we flew through FRA, we just remember how huge it was ... and what a pain it was getting around the airport ...

We are flying business class out of Venice after our cruise ... on Lufthansa, then switching to a United flight (still business) to IAD in Frankfurt. Do we switch terminals, or go through passport control? We have one hour ...

It's been years since we flew through FRA, we just remember how huge it was ... and what a pain it was getting around the airport ...

You go through passport control. Basically an exit stamp. Quick process. You might even have time to grab a drink in the business lounge, but it may also be tight.

In business class you do have access to business lounges from any of the Star Alliance partners, that includes Lufthansa and Air Canada. I don't remember if United has their own lounge or depends on the other Star partners. I would use which ever one is closest to your gate.

You go through passport control. Basically an exit stamp. Quick process. You might even have time to grab a drink in the business lounge, but it may also be tight.

In business class you do have access to business lounges from any of the Star Alliance partners, that includes Lufthansa and Air Canada. I don't remember if United has their own lounge or depends on the other Star partners. I would use which ever one is closest to your gate.

United uses the Lufthansa lounge at Frankfurt.

With only an hour layover, you won't have much time to visit the lounge...Yes, you need to go through Passport check, and an additional level of security for direct flights to the US. The UA flight will start boarding 45 minutes prior to departure.

You will depart out of A/Z, which are the same Terminal, just different floors. You might arrive at A, which would be great, or you might arrive at B, which may involve a bus ride, or at least some walking.

I wouldn't expect any lounge time.

Your largest issue will be going through the security line for US bound planes. Expect 10-15 minutes for this. I don’t remember a separate line for BC, but it may have existed and I merely forgot. Moral is , the plane will be boarding by the time you get to the gate. They’ll give you s nice drink once aboard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...