CUC Denominations

Texasnee

When exchanging USD’s for CUC’s what denominations are you given in return? Do CUC’s come in $1’s, $5’s, etc. like USD? If so, can you ask for small bills to be used for tips, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Keep your eyes out for a nice clean, crispy 3 CUC bill.

It has Che on the front and back, and makes a great souvenir.

Our CD told us they are getting rare, for that reason.

That may or may not be true (I managed to find a nice one), but makes a great story.

Keep your eyes out for a nice clean, crispy 3 CUC bill.

It has Che on the front and back, and makes a great souvenir.

Our CD told us they are getting rare, for that reason.

That may or may not be true (I managed to find a nice one), but makes a great story.

That's not right. It's the 3 CUP bill that has Che on it. I went to a bank a got a wad of them for souvenirs.

CUCs have buildings/monuments on them. CUPs have people.

pesos-cubanos-cup-cuc-Copy.jpg

That's not right.

CUCs have buildings/monuments on them. CUPs have people.

/quote]

The 3 CUC bill also features him, I'm looking at one.

Monument of him on the front, battle scene on the back.

Perhaps I was not clear enough.

OP, you will also get this tip on the ship in the familiarization information, but the people (CUP) vs. monuments (CUC) is true, and a good one to remember.

No one ever tried to slip me CUPs during my visit, but I suppose it does happen, otherwise there would not be warnings out there.

First, you said that the 3 CUC bill had "Che on the front and back", that was pretty clear, second, below is what the Banco Central de Cuba says the 3 CUC bill looks like, no battle scene there. Perhaps you should post a picture of what you are looking at.

CUC3A.gifCUC3R.gif

First, you said that the 3 CUC bill had "Che on the front and back", that was pretty clear, second, below is what the Banco Central de Cuba says the 3 CUC bill looks like, no battle scene there. Perhaps you should post a picture of what you are looking at.

CUC3A.gifCUC3R.gif

Your attachments are not opening, but I know what I have.

The front says Tres Pesos. Banco Central, pesos convertibles, and statue of Che, on a monument base.

The back also says 3 pesos convertibles, and the drawing is of Che from the back, holding a rifle, others with rifles, a tank.

So, in my eye, both sides feature Che, which is what I said.

Soldiers, rifles, and tanks are close enough to a battle scene for me.

Not going to waste any more time here to argue with you.

Maybe "Eaton" doesn't want to talk, but I'd like to get this clarified! Monuments = CUC; People = CUP. Right?? As a quick check??

Are CUC's also labeled "pesos"??

So -- what is the item attached as an image by tallyho8 - it has a picture and is labeled "3 pesos" -- so is it CUP or CUC?

Monuments = CUC; People = CUP. Right?? As a quick check?? Yes, that's correct

Are CUC's also labeled "pesos"?? Yes, labeled "pesos convertibles".

So -- what is the item attached as an image by tallyho8 - it has a picture and is labeled "3 pesos" -- so is it CUP or CUC? That's a CUP - nice for soovies also, but not easily spendable by tourists, and not readily available, unless you go to a bank, or find a local that you trust to exchange.

1 CUC = (approx) 23 CUP.

1 CUC = in theory 1 USD, but the exchange turns out to be .87.

:) I'm happy to help, if I can, just don't like to argue.

I know how hungry for any and all information I was before my first trip.

I have been to Cuba but I am still confused as I hear so many different stories about their money and it is hard to tell which story to believe. One story I heard is that CUPs are always printed in one color only and that CUCs are printed in multiple colors like the image I previously posted. I do NOT know if this is true but I wish I could find out a definitive answer.

As they have many old bills and many new bills in use there are many different bills for the same amount.

This photo is from one web site I visited:

CUP-VS-CUC-Cuban-Peso.jpg.79de9d45ad450379a4b936af953a2a26.jpg

This links to the basics of Cuban currency: http://www.cubatravelinghome.com/moneda_ing.php?informacion=active

Airports, banks and cadecas all use the exact same daily rates of exchange. Hotels which exchange money will offer poor rates as a rule.

Clear picture of the front of bills at the link. 3 CUP has the traditional Che portrait.

When I exchanged dollars for Cuban money at the pier, and got change at various places I got many bills that were not like any of the photos in the previous links making it hard to tell if they were CUCs or CUPs.

I also got 1 CUCs bills and 1 CUC coins.

Don't let this discussion scare you! It's not nearly as confused or complicated when you are in Cuba! 16 cruises and not once was a guest conned with someone trying to give them change for a CUC with worthless CUPs! Try that in the rest of the Caribbean where there are old worthless and new currencies. Both are called "peso." CUC or "Kook" is the one you as a tourist use. You change at the official office at the pier. Simple. $100 US gets you 87 CUC. You can change extras back before you leave. Get some 1 CUC coins that are handy for bathroom tips. CUCs have monuments on the bills. CUPs "Koops" have people. Really, it's not that complicated. Ejoy Cuba!!!

Good day everyone, we are going to Cuba soon and wondering about the money, not which is what but how much would you suggest we get when we go on the tour? Doing a walking tour and wonder about prices. Then going to the nigh club how much do you recommend we get? You said we can sell back any unused money back, that is cool and unlike any other place I’ve been. Please advise

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...