Cuban travel restrictions

Lane412000

I have been told that there are locations in Cuba that as an American citizen I cannot visit. If I want to visit those locations, how am I stopped? Not wanting to get into a political conversation or discussion (look I voted for him and he is not paying my trip, so screw him, ok) but how does this policy get enforced while in Cuba?

I was there in the fall and there were no restrictions on where we could go. Possibly if we tried to go into any embassies or governmental buildings, but we even walked right into a ration station.

There is an official "forbidden" list, but none of the places are where tourists would want to go. No one stopped us from going anywhere....we wandered around wherever our feet took us and had a great time. We attended a couple church services (yes, they allow that), went to small local shops and museums, and talked to many locals (they learn English in school, so many people talked with us). Very friendly people.....can't wait to go back.

• 1 month later...
That said, how would anyone know if US citizens visited any of these establishments?

Places like the hotels? They wouldn't, and I suspect the hotels would welcome tourists from the U.S. If it's a place the Cuban government doesn't want visited, they will make it very clear.

A lot of people get confused about which country issues the different regulations. The forbidden list above is probably what you're talking about. That is courtesy of the US Dept of the Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control. They will not be there in person to stop you from spending money at these places, although I recommend that you don't. Note that not all Cuban government-owned establishments are on the list. It is only ones that are deemed hostile to the US and/or the Cuban people in general (military, etc.) Yes, the military does have a stake in stores and hotels. Weird.

Are the beaches restricted or are we allowed on them?

Technically speaking traveling to Cuba as an American to go to the beach isn't consider an authorized "people to people" tour so to answer your question is NO. There are no ship organized beach excursions. However, once you get off the ship there isn't anyone from stopping you from going to the beach. The Cuban officials could care less nor the cruise line. There are no beaches near the cruise port so you'd have to get a taxi to and from the beach which is outside of Havana about 20-30 minutes. Probably no problem getting a taxi outside of the cruise terminal; however, getting one back from the beach you'd need to coordinate with your taxi driver to pick you up. Enjoy.