Meals at Planks & Steamers on the Caribbean Princess?

canadarocks

We have eaten at Planks. We were on board shortly after the dry dock where they added it.

The restaraunt was not busy when we dined ( us and one other table) and the waitress explained that planks and steamers shared the same kitchen so she actually brought us both menus to look at and said if one or both of us preferred the steamers menu ( which is like the Crab Shack menu) we could order from that ( we chose to both dine from the Planks menu).

The meal started with some BBQ meatballs ( we didn't care for them) and corn bread that you could make a small slider out of. Then there was soup or salad and each person then selected three meats from the menu. We had brisket, chicken and sausage and there was baked beans and coleslaw as well. The meats are served on a large plank and there is a lot of meat!

We thought the meal was ok. The chicken was moist and tender. The brisket was a bit dry. Overall if we were only doing one specialty dinner in the future we would probably put our money toward a different option.

For breakfast and lunch- the area is like an extension of the buffet similar to Caribe Cafe. The best thing about breakfast there is the omelet bar. They take your omelet order, give you a number and once you are seated you give the number to the server and you get your hot delicious made to order omelet. I recommend trying the omelets.

Hope this is helpful... As always your experience may differ.

Looking forward to my next cruise on the CB where I can enjoy both venues.....:):):)

Bob

We ate at Planks for both lunch and dinner on our July cruise. The signature soup was Baked Potato Soup and it was great. Very limited options for lunch and nothing we cared for. Most of it was Asian dishes. Usually we filled our lunch plates at the main buffet then found a table in Planks where we got a cup of the potato soup.

We are from a big bbq area in central Texas so we appreciate good bbq. The bbq for dinner at Planks was surprisingly good and we got our choice of 4 meats from the menu of ribs, brisket, sausage, chicken, and meatballs. The only meat choice we didn't care for was the sausage and that is because we are used to spicy sausage and Princess wouldn't know a spicy sausage if one hit them in the face. We ate dinner at Planks twice on the cruise and will do so again next time we are on the Caribbean Princess. We hope Princess will remodel more of the ships with the old style Horizon court/Caribe Cafe set up into what they have done to the Caribbean Princess.

The pictures make it look impossible to eat. Not all that big around and piled waaaaaaaaaaay tall. I think I read that somewhere here on CC as well. The poster wasn't impressed.

the-ernesto-burger-640x354.jpg

Although I rarely see a burger (or many other food items) in any advertisement that accurately depicts what is actually served. ;p

Since the beer list shows $6 for a beer, I'd try the burger for an additional $2. :)

Although I rarely see a burger (or many other food items) in any advertisement that accurately depicts what is actually served. ;p

Since the beer list shows $6 for a beer, I'd try the burger for an additional $2. :)

That definitely looks like something worth trying.....:):):)

Bob

I'll try that.

We hope Princess will remodel more of the ships with the old style Horizon court/Caribe Cafe set up into what they have done to the Caribbean Princess.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do this on the other ships if it pans out on this ship. I would rather they rip out that area altogether and model it after the Royal Class ships.....but that won't or can't happen.

Since I am not able to unhinge my jaw, I am not a big fan of stacked burgers. Having said that, I would try this one deconstructed without the bun..... with a knife and fork. As you mentioned, with the beer, it is a two dollar investment.

That looks just like the $15 burger I recently had on Celebrity Reflection in the Lawn Club Grill. It was AMAZING!!! I see this burger in my future.;p

That looks just like the $15 burger I recently had on Celebrity Reflection in the Lawn Club Grill. It was AMAZING!!! I see this burger in my future.;p

On ships with the Salty Dog Gastropub (Crown, Emerald, Ruby) that's included with other food for $12 (down from $19).

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/salty-dog-menu.pdf