MITSUGIRLY Cruise Reviews...What should I do?

mitsugirly

I know a lot of people are "followers" of my extensive reviews (and I thank you) and hopefully the many places I have been (and heavy pictures involved) help many people out.

However, I have officially ran out of space (1 cruise and 1 land vaca ago) and can no longer add any more reviews to refer back to my signature line to help others out.

I'm not sure what to do at this point and I'm looking for help from those that find my reviews helpful on what they would like to see done.

Do I eliminate my "ship" reviews at the beginning of my signature line?

Do I eliminate some of the older reviews?

Do I eliminate reviews that I have noticed less than a handful of people have asked about this excursion or place?

I have already done all that I can as far as shortening the names, the fonts, and using shortened url's. Nothing can be done other than eliminating things.

I would like to see what you all think before I take action.

I suggest deleting the individual "Ports" links. All of this information is included with the main "Ship" reviews. You've spoiled us long enough. We're big boys and girls now- we can take the extra minute (or five) to skim through a review to find what we are looking for. :cool:

I know a lot of people are "followers" of my extensive reviews (and I thank you) and hopefully the many places I have been (and heavy pictures involved) help many people out.

However, I have officially ran out of space (1 cruise and 1 land vaca ago) and can no longer add any more reviews to refer back to my signature line to help others out.

I'm not sure what to do at this point and I'm looking for help from those that find my reviews helpful on what they would like to see done.

Do I eliminate my "ship" reviews at the beginning of my signature line?

Do I eliminate some of the older reviews?

Do I eliminate reviews that I have noticed less than a handful of people have asked about this excursion or place?

I have already done all that I can as far as shortening the names, the fonts, and using shortened url's. Nothing can be done other than eliminating things.

I would like to see what you all think before I take action.

It took me a while before I figured out that you were speaking of your signature block.

As others have said, maybe a blog that you can send your followers to.

Or, perhaps you can cull your signature block. For instance, some of your ship reviews may be redundant now as the ships have been in for refit.

Or, some of the locations reviewed may have changed since your visit and may no longer be relevant or current?

Or, maybe the info in the reviews is not on the NCL itinerary any more and not required on this forum.

Anyway, perhaps a little judicial editing of your signature block can help you.

I'd go with the PP who suggested making a new thread with all of the links to all of your reviews, then linking that thread in your signature block. Or do a Gambee-style blog or website and link that.

Kim, I agree with a couple of the others. Make a single thread with a links to all reports. Post that link in your signature. You can then update that thread as needed.

I agree, I think this is a great solution and that way nothing is lost. Just add a new post to the "Mitsugirly reviews" thread when you have another review available. Then you don't have the extra step of hosting a blog, and you don't have to recreate your identity, I don't think that is a good solution.

I don't know the answer Kim being a "technophobe" all I know is I have followed your reviews for years and appreciate them greatly! Please don't let anything get get in the way of them life wouldn't be the same without your adventures with Sakari, your husband and children!

What I read your reviews for are the ports. When I know you’ve been somewhere I’m going (i.e. Bermuda), that is when I look you up. I love that they are all broken out because then I can just go to that port but I totally understand that that’s no longer practical. I have also done the same for a particular ship but not as much. (I do read an entire review when I happen to come across one though.)

I personally love blogging. I do a blog for my family and personal use in addition to reviews on CC and TA. I just don’t post it online because it contains personal information. But I enjoy it and I enjoy reading others’ as well.

A few years ago when first going to CC for tips, I found that yours were one of the most helpful. Thanks!

I’ve only posted very recently, so not well versed on the tools available on the site - copy/pasting, insertions, etc.

A possible and simple temp fix until a permenent one is found could be the use of the ending space of the message body. Paste half, or whatever portion of your signature reviews, etc. into the message body. You could have a snappy insert/line/wave or nothing at all that segues this portion onto your limited capacity signature line. I would think that the message body is ‘almost’ unlimited. I mention this as a temp as pasting adds one more step and not sure where it is best copied from - pc word, notes, other?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I really appreciate it.

FOR THE MOMENT...I have discovered another url shortening site that I was able to get my space even less. Every little extra letter that's decreased counts. I have been working on my signature line for a few days (it's REALLY a lot of work just trying to get the links to work) and have managed to shorten the links/html/url and keep everything on there AND add my last review (Conquest), with all the new port AND my Aruba land vacation as well. However...with another cruise coming up...I'm not sure if it will even fit.

In order to add the signature line like mine, there's a lot of html coding involved to get it to work right. Honestly...I don't know what I would have done without Carl (NightOne) and his expertise on coding and how to change up the html coding in order to drop you right off at the beginning of the review mid-page. Cruise Critic changed their boards and upgraded their vBulletin and it had broken all of my links and they all needed to be redone. One by one. Find review, find first post, click only on that first post, bring up html, copy, replace words within it, add more, copy, go to url shortner link, upload in the right spot on signature line...whew. If anyone else wants to know how all this is done...you can find the instructions HERE.

Suggestions:

As far as making another account "Mitsugirly2", I'm not sure if I want the hassle of doing that and trying to figure out which reviews are under which screen name. Having to switch back and forth just might be a little annoying for me. So I'll hold off on that for now.

Eliminating the old: I have (over the last year) eliminated a few links (and I don't think anyone noticed lol) because they weren't a popular thing to do (like the Seahorse Sail & Snorkel in Nassau) and a few other things that people didn't ever seem to be interested in, ask questions on, or comment. I may have to continue doing that.

Making a post (with a link to it in my signature line) that will list everything there. I LOVE that idea...however, I'm trying to think it out. If I create a thread and just list everything in my signature line there...where does that thread get posted? On the NCL forum? The Carnival forum? What about the ports? Each port? That would become a little "blah" because it wouldn't just pertain to one area. The other issue I see is that when I post this link and this new thread is created, when people follow that thread...they are going to post something on that thread (just like in reviews). This eventually creates a lot of post that people have to stiff through in order to find any additional post I have added when new reviews become available.

I honestly don't like the idea of just listing the ships, with the link to that review, and telling which ports are within that review and here's why...my reviews are extensively long...pages long (as you all know) and for instance someone looking at my Conquest review and they want to see the Curacao portion...it would take FOREVER to find that review, by clicking page after page until you come to it. That would be very aggravating to people and they would probably give up (I know I would). This day and age of things, we want information readily available at our fingertips and don't want to sift pages and pages (hence the reason everyone goes to the ports and ask a specific question that has been answered over and over instead of using the search button...it's just easier and less time consuming). I'm all about making things easy on someone.

So a blog...this has been brought up to me several times in the past. I honestly don't know much about blogs (or really understand them). Well, I mean I know people will just type the places they go, insert some pictures and so on. But MY reviews...well...whew....it would be forever long.

HOWEVER, believe it or not, about 2 years ago I started working on a website for my reviews, listing each thing from hotels, ships, ports and so on. IT TAKES FOREVER. Ugh. I work on it here and there, but with the amount of cruising/vacations I do, the amount I need to add just to keep up is crazy...all while still trying to add the old stuff.

I have been working on the ports the most (and a few of the hotels). I'm trying to keep it as easy and simple as possible for people to be able to find what they are looking for. The issue is...I have to come to my reviews here on cc...copy and paste the words, try to read over it to see if it makes sense (when you are not following an entire review) and insert pictures along the way. The other problem is, inserting picture after picture on this site is such a pain and takes forever so I'm pretty much forced to insert a bunch at the same time, which kind of takes it out of sequence of the review. Blah.

But I'm frantically trying to get a lot of it done while I have the time. I'm not only doing this for everyone on here, but for my family and especially Sakari. Memories after I'm gone that she will be able to look back on, created by her mother.

The other thing I wonder is just how many people will actually take the time to go to it to look for the info they need. I know a lot of people on here have blogs (listed in their signature), but honestly, I'm not one that usually goes to look at others blogs. Every so often I'll really want to know something and I'll go "off-site" to explore a blog. Maybe I'm in the minority?

Here's a video of what I have been working on and how the site looks so far. I have a LONG way to go. Sigh But it will give you some type of idea how it's going to function. I'm trying to include (not only the review and pictures), but maps, direct websites and so on.

nrpOPUGnyBY

Nothing constructive to add on the topic at hand...I just want to say how much I enjoy your reviews. I absolutely LOVE following along with you and your family....Laughing at Kendra and B, and watching Sakari grow up. You guys are amazing and THANK YOU - the time and effort you put into these reviews is evident

First and foremost...THANK YOU!! Your reviews are the absolute best, and I LOVE living vicariously through your family's adventures. Your Aruba video, by the way, was amazing. Now into your signature, I would suggest keeping the ships, and then listing ports (not specific places), informing people to search for your reviews of places in those forums. I don't know if this would work for everyone, but it is just a thought. Just know that I appreciate your reviews so much. I'm not ready to jump on a Carnival ship again, but you inspire me to give it a shot someday each time I read one of your reviews, and I hope you make it back to an NCL ship again soon.

I'm not ready to jump on a Carnival ship again, but you inspire me to give it a shot someday each time I read one of your reviews, and I hope you make it back to an NCL ship again soon.

Yep, we will be on a NCL ship next Spring Break...heading on a Mexican Riviera Cruise (woot woot for the new-new

Thanks to those that offered advice and those that offered their feelings on enjoying the reviews.

I'm working very hard on getting my website up and running with all the reviews so that this won't be an issue at all.

DID ANYONE LOOK AT MY POST ON THE WEBSITE AND HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON IT? Just wondering and trying to get an attention grabber here with the caps. ;p

DID ANYONE LOOK AT MY POST ON THE WEBSITE AND HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON IT? Just wondering and trying to get an attention grabber here with the caps. ;p

Yes! That website looks awesome!! I would absolutely visit and use it. It looks incredibly user friendly.

Thanks to those that offered advice and those that offered their feelings on enjoying the reviews.

I'm working very hard on getting my website up and running with all the reviews so that this won't be an issue at all.

The website in the video looks great! It looks like a lot of work, but if you are willing to set it up for each review you have it will be an awesome resource. I hope you will keep posting the initial reviews on here though, it is fun especially to read them as you are entering them, you are so great about answering questions. Thank you!

Save