Advice please about Celebrity Equinox

Tac123

:confused:Hi we are sailing on this ship/celebrity for the first time next week and we are a bit confused on how the speciality dining package works. If we purchase a 3 night package per person at approx £85 are there any additional charges such as gratuity charge?We have a classic drinks package will we be able to use this in the speciality restaurants?

Basically I suppose what I am asking is what does the £85 cover. Thank you.:)

The package price covers the charge for the speciality restaurant & it has long been considered to cover the gratutity. Recently there have been reports that on the website it says that the price doesn't include gratuties but I haven't checked the website.

We have always left an additional tip when we had excellent service, which has been about 95% of the time. On the few occasions the service was sub-par we didn't tip extra.

The speciality restaurants each have their own wine list but if there is nothing on their wine list that you like included in your package ask for what you would like & they should get it for you.

The beverage packages can be used in the specialty dining venues.

Historically a portion of the package went to the servers as a gratuity; people sometimes gave a bit extra if they received outstanding service, but this was not expected/required. Recently I recall a thread where someone claimed this had changed and the price no longer included a gratuity; I am skeptical about that (since historically the fee has always included a gratuity) - hopefully other posters can shed light on what is being said recently about this topic.

Most food items are the menu are included in the price, but some venues have a luxury item or two that incurs an additional surcharge if ordered, i.e. dry aged USDA prime steaks in Tuscan Grille, caviar at Murano, and freshly grated wasabi root at Sushi on 5.

We are currently on the Equinox and purchased a 10 night dinner package. The gratuity is charged at the time of payment for the package. There are no additional charges at the time of dining except for drinks beyond your beverage package. We normally leave an additional tip for exceptionally good service. If you leave the extra tip, leave it in cash. If you leave it on the zero balance tab, it goes into the general tip pool for approximately 500 people (not to your server or just the specialty restaurant.) This is a change from previous policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the Celebrity Website:

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts ...

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

I have not seen an exception for dining services staff in specialty restaurants, so I assume that they also share in the auto-gratuities. However, I still give a small additional gratuity when service is superb - an amount equivalent to the additional amount per day that I give my MDR waiter for superb service at the end of the cruise.

Regarding the dining package, the pricing is 109 USD pp for 3 meals and 125 USD pp for 4 meals. At only 16 USD pp for the fourth meal, I recommend the 4 meal package - it is actually cheaper per night than both the 5 and 6 meal packages.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

Hi,

We just got off the Equinox and have been on it once each of the last three months. So, we really know the ship and crew. By the way it was outstanding in all phases. To answer you specific question, others seem to have said it correct. The only thing I would add when in the Tuscan my wife selected a tuscan chardonnay that cost her $1.00 additional charge and my red cost nothing additional. We both had the premium drink package. They are very accomadating. They will find something you like.

Have fun.