Excursion Availability at Port

jccave

Hello!

We are doing our first Australia / NZ cruise in January. We have done many Caribbean cruises, but this will be our first time down under.

We have not yet booked any excursions. My question is, are excursions typically still available on the ship during the cruise, or can they be found when debarking in certain ports? We are more play-it-by-ear instead of pre-booking, but we don't want to get to the ports and find nothing to do. We are good with our own foot travel and exploring as well. Being that tourism is not #1 like in the Caribbean, are there people when we get off the ship advertising their excursions or no?

Our ports are:

Dunedin

Akaroa

Wellington

Napier

Taurunga

Auckland (staying the night)

Thank you!

Jeff

My recollection of most of those ports last time we did them was that there's operators touting for business. The drop off points in some of those cases are right outside the local tourist office. As an example, I've just today booked a private charter with an operator out of Akaroa and they tell me they operate a both at the end of the pier for walk-up bookings.

NZ is a very tourist centric country (we get visitors about equal to the resident population each year) and you should have no trouble picking something on the day.