How long until it gets warm?

Ourhappyplace

We have cruised out of NYC in March several times. Never experienced any serious weather issues. Light jacket has always been fine for the first full sea day. If the sun is out it gets very comfortable that 1st afternoon. By the 2nd sea day we have been able to be out at the pool in swim suits. Even last March, some rain and clouds on the way down and back, still nice enough with just a light jacket and we were able to be outside on the Gem. Sometimes the winds have been heavy, but never anything that we could not withstand.

Don't know when your looking to sail, but would not hesitate to do a trip from NYC.

Sorry. We are on the 11/21/17 cruise on the Gem heading somewhere in the Caribbean. Not sure where to yet. They haven't given us the new itinerary yet. As far as cold tolerance, about average. Just want to be comfortable.

Could be 1 or 2 days before it gets warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's all up to Mother Nature. We have left NY in January, and 1st sea day it was warm enough for people to use pools and hot tubs. BUT, once in June the outside decks needed to be closed on 1st sea day due to poor weather and high winds.

Just be prepared with jacket/hoodie.

NYC has the most beautiful views at sailaway, and going under the Verrazano bridge is amazing

Safe sailing

Sailed out of NYC in March once before. We went to bed with the pools empty and the weather cool. Woke up in the morning and the pools were full and in use. Comfortable enough to sit out in slacks, or possibly even shorts for some. Only the kids braved the water in the pool the first day.

1 day for light jacket weather. A full 2 days for sitting at the pool in a swimsuit. Same for the way back. And it snows in NYC by then. There's pictures all over the internet of snow on the cruise ship decks! I wish I knew how to post them here. I'd rather pay to fly to Miami than waste all those precious sea days too cold for me to enjoy by the pool. Even a light jacket.....is a disappointment on a Caribbean cruise. I want to get on the cruise and be on vacation, not sitting around for 2 days burning my vacation waiting on it to get warm enough.

By the time you wake up on Day 2, you will probably be off the coast of the North Carolina. Coincidentally, that will probably be where you are after dinner on the last night. The captain usually rushes to get the ship to a warmer climate, so expect lots of movement the first and last night. This is just my experience with 3 late-fall cruises under my belt, two out of NY and one out of Boston.