Couple Questions

roothy123

I like the general way that Viking is doing their ocean cruises, and when compared to our favorite ocean cruise line now (Oceania) we will definitely consider them. However, I am a little confused by a couple things. I'll probably just call them next week, but in the mean time, can anyone explain to me how the specialty restaurant dinners work if you're in the lowest cabin category? Can I assume that if you're in a regular veranda cabin, you are not locked out of the two specialty restaurants completely, but that you can only eat there if they have a "vacancy"? I suppose, for example, that it might be possible to eat at one once or twice at, say 6 or 8 PM, if it ends up that they have room?

Also, on the included shore excursions/tours, is there any choice, or is there just one that everyone can sign up for? The booklet mentions that depending upon what cabin category you have, you can sign up for the excursions at a particular time (presumably, regular veranda cabins are last to be able to sign up) and also the booklet implies that there will be a choice of tours in some cities, but I wasn't sure if those alternate tours were at a cost or not. I am interested in the Venice to Istanbul cruise, which is pretty similar to one I've been drooling over for 2 years now on Oceania.

On our previous river cruises, we have not purchased the pre- or post- cruise stays, so that is one area for which I'm completely clueless. Is it possible to go a day early to the first port (at an extra charge) or do you have to purchase the two or three day hotel packages Viking offers?

roothy,

I am interested in the Venice to istanbul itinerary too. I called Viking Cruise and talked to one of their cruise agents.

She told me that booking a standard veranda gets no priorty. On embarkation day you will be able to board the ship after 3pm. No big deal, the ship leaves at midnight from Venice. You can book all dining reservations only when on board.

The included shore excursion is the walking tour or the first one listed for each port. The other ones listed are for a fee. You will not be able to book them until you are on board.

She really urged me to book the deluxe veranda, and then one can prebook the excusions and make dinner rservations online before the sali date. She was talking about 60 days before the sail date for making the reservations with a deluxe veranda.

i did download a PDF file of their brochure.

Thank you, Azulann; that's very helpful. It sounds like it will be OK if we just book the standard veranda cabin, as the deluxe veranda cabins ARE a little more than we would like to pay, even with the priority stuff you get and the higher deck, mid-ship locations. Boarding at 3 is not a problem, either, nor is location. I can understand giving priority to people who have paid more for cabins. Oceania does it, although a little differently than Viking (online, but later if you have a lower cabin category). We've always managed, with a little flexibility and by booking online the first day or two we could, to get decent reservations on Oceania even with an inside cabin, so hopefully we'll be able to eat at both alternate restaurants once on Viking Star.

As to the excursions, I think it's great that Viking is providing excursions, but I've gotten so used to doing those on my own, it's no big deal if I have to pre-plan my own excursions and then, if necessary once on board, implement those plans!

As to itineraries, I like Oceania's better than Viking's, but Viking Oceans is new, and so it is seriously tempting me. Would you happen to know if April or October is the better time to go weather-wise? Also, I have not been to either Venice or Istanbul. Would anybody be willing to venture an opinion as to which one is worthy of 2 or 3 days versus only one day?

Roothy,

Yes, if there is room at the specialty restaurants after the higher category cabins have booked their reservations, then veranda category passengers may make reservations. What I don't know is what the time frame/cut-off is for this. Same day, what time? However, the CEO, Tor Hagen, said at the launch event that the best food will be in the MDR, the specialty restaurants will be to simply have a change of venue and change of menu for passengers.

Azulann has answered your questions regarding shore excursions.

Regarding the pre/post stays, are you booking your own airfare or booking with Viking? If you want to do a pre/post stay, it is my understanding that you would need to do an air deviation if doing your air with Viking if you are not using their package.

Becki

Thank you, Azulann; that's very helpful. It sounds like it will be OK if we just book the standard veranda cabin, as the deluxe veranda cabins ARE a little more than we would like to pay, even with the priority stuff you get and the higher deck, mid-ship locations. Boarding at 3 is not a problem, either, nor is location. I can understand giving priority to people who have paid more for cabins. Oceania does it, although a little differently than Viking (online, but later if you have a lower cabin category). We've always managed, with a little flexibility and by booking online the first day or two we could, to get decent reservations on Oceania even with an inside cabin, so hopefully we'll be able to eat at both alternate restaurants once on Viking Star.

As to the excursions, I think it's great that Viking is providing excursions, but I've gotten so used to doing those on my own, it's no big deal if I have to pre-plan my own excursions and then, if necessary once on board, implement those plans!

As to itineraries, I like Oceania's better than Viking's, but Viking Oceans is new, and so it is seriously tempting me. Would you happen to know if April or October is the better time to go weather-wise? Also, I have not been to either Venice or Istanbul. Would anybody be willing to venture an opinion as to which one is worthy of 2 or 3 days versus only one day?

If you go to Venice in Oct you may experience flooding "Acqua Alta", google it.

Archived